Just when I thought stupidity in EMS would no longer surprise me........

CFal

Forum Captain
I'm sure there are other units in the area and that's why they received permission. Is it really any less sanitary than a random patient with multiple diseases bleeding?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm sure there are other units in the area and that's why they received permission. Is it really any less sanitary than a random patient with multiple diseases bleeding?

This can be a pr nightmare. It also shows a complete lack of professionalism. It is bad enough that they out road kill in the back of an ambulance , but to publicly post a pic on fb looking for atta boys and likes is just idiotic.

Like I said earlier

This is why we can't have nice things and we are treated a ambulance drivers and not healthcare professionals.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
This is about as dumb as working a kitten in the back of an ambulance.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Is gutting a deer a common skill in Michigan?

From looking at the picture they cut the deer's head off, right?

This is weird.

That's a whole deer minus the guts.

And the majority of me in Michigan are huge hunters, and can gut a deer by the age of 12.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
...and as far as the helo flying the K9, as some of you know, my wife is an emergency vet... when we first met she told me about a Delaware State Police Helo landing at the clinic with an injured police dog. When she mentioned that she may need to give Fido some blood, the troopers were outta there in minutes and returned with blood.

I guess they normally just transfuse blood from a local "donor dog", but police dogs are treated just like officers. Nothing was too good for that pooch.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We go to car vs. deer accidents that are reported to be non-injury "just in case" (bolster run numbers), and I've had partners who have gutted deer on the side of the road. We don't go out of service, it's not done in plain view, and the deer certainly never goes into the ambulance, and I'm still not sure how ok I am with that.

Part of the culture around here is always the justification, but I can't really call it professional behavior either.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I must be missing something...
Why are EMS personnel gutting deers at all in any situation? I don't hunt, but I'd imagine if I gut something it's to take the hide home. As in the example above, what did the partner do with the deer after it's gutted?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Why are EMS personnel gutting deers at all in any situation? I don't hunt, but I'd imagine if I gut something it's to take the hide home. As in the example above, what did the partner do with the deer after it's gutted?
Take it to a processor and eat it...? Haha

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Off duty sheriff's deputy came by and picked it up, they went and got it from his house after shift.

And they hunt deer for meat...

Mariemt

Forum Captain

Its called food. Meat.

You can eat a deer. Its called venison

CFal

Forum Captain
This can be a pr nightmare. It also shows a complete lack of professionalism. It is bad enough that they out road kill in the back of an ambulance , but to publicly post a pic on fb looking for atta boys and likes is just idiotic.

Like I said earlier

This is why we can't have nice things and we are treated a ambulance drivers and not healthcare professionals.

Putting it on Facebook was probably a bad idea I agree, but up there the local populace probably doesn't care about it, from a PR standpoint.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Putting it on Facebook was probably a bad idea I agree, but up there the local populace probably doesn't care about it, from a PR standpoint.

We all get painted with the same brush. If a person has a bad experience with a medic or EMT they usually have a distrust for all EMTs and medics ... Not just the ones they dealt with.
This pic makes us all look like a bunch of back woods hillbilly ambulance drivers.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

The only thing stupid about this was posting it. Stuff like that goes on all the time, with permission or without. It used to be called "our little secret". Now, everybody wants the world to see how cool they are and finding they're only putting a bullseye on their asses.

Besides, in that particular culture there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving medics alternative food sources to reduce the amount of their whining for raises. Michigan is in deep doo-doo.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

It's their new CPR mannequin.

:p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Anyway it looks like the anonymous operator hires kids who have a siight deficit of professionalism and media awareness.

Should have tied it to the busy bar on top!

I'm sorry, they just look so happy and cute like those oxygen kittens someone brought up earlier. But, bad call. ANd check out the comments below it! "I've transported hairier patients than that"….crikey !!!<_<

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PS: re K9 officers.

The dept does not officially treat them like human officers but like valuable equipment.

Any special goodies for them are from out of the officers' and other people's hearts and pockets.

Denying a bad guy a kill on a K9 is another way of putting a finger into the "individual's" eye and saying "S%#rw you, dumbwad!". And well said at that.;)