Just putting this out there...

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I just need to put this out there for the world to see...

I've really got to say that I've been very aggravated by some people's need to hijack threads to something along the lines of EMS being recognized as a profession.

Emergency Medical Services as a whole is not and will never be recognized as a profession. It is too diverse and dynamic, geographically and demographically speaking. EMS encompasses many people, including fire first responders, fire paramedics, rescue personnel and LEO's, to the EMT's and Paramedics responding in the ambulance. EMS involves the medical directors and administrative support staff who enable us to do what we do every day.

Paramedicine is what will become the profession. University educated, clinically experienced professionals who are paramedics and can do advanced things that will shock and awe us all. Professional people with real degrees, real clinical rotations, certified by physicians and will act as front line advanced healthcare providers.There will always be basic level providers in some capacity that will make up the bulk of the EMS field. Its simply not practical and a waste of resources to have such skilled people respond to the non-urgent or less critical patients.

Lastly, hijacking a thread on a public forum is not the place for your plight to be heard. There are EMS providers from all over the world on this site, from varying backgrounds and dispositions, not to mention individuals who have no real involvement in EMS but want to learn more. How does that make us look? Like angry, close minded people that are uninterested in answering questions or even communicating in a civil and polite manner to our anonymous colleagues.

If you want to take Paramedicine to the next level, then talk to your medical directors, your education institutes, your lawmakers. Talk face to face with your colleagues and raise awareness within your respective areas. Be the voice of a positive change, and stop griping about the shortcomings of your peers!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually forums are the place to discuss the changes we want to see. And I disagree, EMS can become a very good profession that is respected. Yes change of attitudes will be required.

Yes education is key. To advance we will have to require the lowest level to be higher educated than most paramedics have today. Yes that means many that do this as a hobby will have a choice to make, but it is not about what is best for those in EMS it is about what is best for the patients we treat.

Another thing about forums is discussions can lead down many paths that the OP may have never have dreamed of. That is the beauty of forums.

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Have I missed something here? I respectfully agree with the OP about Paramedics needing to come together as the professionals that we are, but I also know that ALL EMS amounts to hard work, blood, sweat and tears. A great Paramedic can do amazing things, but I as experienced first-hand while running a code in the ER where I work last night, it is a Team Effort. I will never single-handedly save a life, but with a great crew WE will turn someone's day around. (with the exception of things like last night):sad:

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
EMS is a profession & needs to be recognised as such. It should never be amalgamated with fire, but provided as a seperate & individual profession.

MRE

Forum Captain
I think there are too many different aspects of EMS and emergency services in general for the public to recognize them appropriately. In my area, an EMT could be wearing 3 different uniforms, fire turnout gear or street clothes (volley), but have the exact same training. I have brought a pts into the hospital ER and been mistaken for a relative because I had taken off my turnout jacket and just had business casual stuff underneath.

Not necessarily being able to recognize and EMT or medic or FR, and receiving different care from different people must make it very hard to figure out how the system works. Also, the majority of people don't interact with EMS very often, so their exposure is very limited.

In the end, I think its a stretch to call being a Basic a profession, as their (and my) 120 hour course pales in comparison to the education of most other careers which are recognized as professionals (Drs, Lawers, Engineers, etc.) On that note I would call being a medic a profession for just that reason, college level training and requirements for clinical time, etc.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I think there are too many different aspects of EMS and emergency services in general for the public to recognize them appropriately. In my area, an EMT could be wearing 3 different uniforms, fire turnout gear or street clothes (volley), but have the exact same training. I have brought a pts into the hospital ER and been mistaken for a relative because I had taken off my turnout jacket and just had business casual stuff underneath.

Not necessarily being able to recognize and EMT or medic or FR, and receiving different care from different people must make it very hard to figure out how the system works. Also, the majority of people don't interact with EMS very often, so their exposure is very limited.

In the end, I think its a stretch to call being a Basic a profession, as their (and my) 120 hour course pales in comparison to the education of most other careers which are recognized as professionals (Drs, Lawers, Engineers, etc.) On that note I would call being a medic a profession for just that reason, college level training and requirements for clinical time, etc.

I agree, it is a stretch to call a basic a profession, as much as I love being a basic there are just too many limitations on our scope and a lack in training to really consider it a profession. But Medics are what are the future of the profession. getting well educated Medics will be the key to defining the profession and getting it recognised (at least within the US) as something other then firefighter or ambulance drivers (still disappoints me when I see people call a medic an ambulance driver)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
if you are passionate about what you do for a living, not only for yourself but others...i'd say you are a professional in my book anyday.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Have I missed something here? I respectfully agree with the OP about Paramedics needing to come together as the professionals that we are, but I also know that ALL EMS amounts to hard work, blood, sweat and tears. A great Paramedic can do amazing things, but I as experienced first-hand while running a code in the ER where I work last night, it is a Team Effort. I will never single-handedly save a life, but with a great crew WE will turn someone's day around. (with the exception of things like last night):sad:

Its the cardiac arrest in the ER that first humbles us. There it is taught that optimally it takes a team, when we may at times be forced to use two or three persons, two of which may only be able to provide "BLS" level care.

OP, the beauty of the internet is that while I may want to change EMS using the techniques you described, I also want to make people all over think for themselves and realise they really do not know what they think they know. here is a great place for that.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
By your ill-guided logic,

LEO's can't be considered professionals either because "It is too diverse and dynamic, geographically and demographically speaking. Cops encompasses many people"

Neither can teachers because "It is too diverse and dynamic, geographically and demographically speaking. Teachers encompasses many people"

Nor can many other jobs that are considered professions.

If anything, a profession HAS to be diverse and dynamic, otherwise it will be boring and eventually die.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I am professional in my appearance, my demeanor on scene, my treatment of a patient and my preparation in both education and skills development for my job. Whether or not my EMS work qualifies as a 'profession' has little or no value to me. My professionalism has to do with my work ethic, my dedication to doing my job well and my desire to learn as much as I can about what I do.

Let's not squabble over semantics.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If we can't even agree if EMS is a profession, job, or hobby, how can we ask for more clinical independence, larger scope of practice, or more pay?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I would definitely agree that EMS is at least a "semi-profession".

Wikipedia says: A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply disinterested counsel and service to others. Professional activity involves systematic knowledge and proficiency.

If EMS doesn’t involve systematic knowledge and proficiency, I don’t know what does!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Systematic knowledge? Please, how many paramedic programs out there don't even require college level anatomy and physiology?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
By your ill-guided logic,

LEO's can't be considered professionals either because "It is too diverse and dynamic, geographically and demographically speaking. Cops encompasses many people"

Neither can teachers because "It is too diverse and dynamic, geographically and demographically speaking. Teachers encompasses many people"

Nor can many other jobs that are considered professions.

If anything, a profession HAS to be diverse and dynamic, otherwise it will be boring and eventually die.
Police really are not professionals. They are blue collar like us. Salary varies from 25,000 to 60,000 /yr, and entry requirements are a GED and a pulse (the LAPD) to an AA/AS (NYPD).
Sound familiar?

In fact, at the LAPD, even if you do not want to become a full time officer, they can still give you a gun and a badge and put you on reserve. This, again, requires a GED and a pulse.

Sounds a lot like us.

(note- I have the utmost respect for police, even in the face of my opinions over at the Taser thread. They work hard and with the scum of the country, a lot like we do sometimes. They may be professionals in my book but they do not fit the rigorous definition)

Last edited by a moderator:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I would definitely agree that EMS is at least a "semi-profession".

Wikipedia says: A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply disinterested counsel and service to others. Professional activity involves systematic knowledge and proficiency.

If EMS doesn’t involve systematic knowledge and proficiency, I don’t know what does!

First problem, right there...
no offense

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I am professional in my appearance, my demeanor on scene, my treatment of a patient and my preparation in both education and skills development for my job. Whether or not my EMS work qualifies as a 'profession' has little or no value to me. My professionalism has to do with my work ethic, my dedication to doing my job well and my desire to learn as much as I can about what I do.

This statement has turned me, here here to professionalism, whether a paramedic or an EMT-B professionalism is what makes the professional

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Most of the larger departments here in AR and all of the state police in about a 6 state radius require a 4 yr degree.

Police really are not professionals. They are blue collar like us. Salary varies from 25,000 to 60,000 /yr, and entry requirements are a GED and a pulse (the LAPD) to an AA/AS (NYPD).
Sound familiar?

In fact, at the LAPD, even if you do not want to become a full time officer, they can still give you a gun and a badge and put you on reserve. This, again, requires a GED and a pulse.

Sounds a lot like us.

(note- I have the utmost respect for police, even in the face of my opinions over at the Taser thread. They work hard and with the scum of the country, a lot like we do sometimes. They may be professionals in my book but they do not fit the rigorous definition)

medic417

The Truth Provider

2 Corinthians 11:14 "since Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light"

Appearances can be decieving. To be a true professional would require one to be in an actual profession.