Just broke the seal on an airline jump kit

webster44

Forum Crew Member
Tonight as I was flying back home I had the opportunity to work on a patient and open the Delta airline "jump kit" I had always been a bit curious what they carried so I thought I'd share the story.

As we approached for our night landing the cabin lights were turned off. Then I noticed the light in the back went on. I looked back and saw the flight attendant leaning over a seat and looking worried. I immediately knew I was about to be called into action. She asked for a medical professional on the intercom. I rushed to the back - was presented with an unresponsive pt. A doctor came too. I asked the flight attendant for their kit and O2 tank. I took the head in assessing the pt.
I worked well with the doctor.
Once landing a paramedic unit boarded and took the pt.

Our handling of the situation was pretty good. The bumpy landing while in the aisle with the pt was rough but I held on tight to the O2 tank.

There was a problem with the O2. Even though there was a ambu bag with O2 tubing in the kit, there was not the proper connection to hook it to the tank.(it was not a barbed connector. it was some kind of recessed female attachment) We had to use one of those masks that drop to the seats.

Bag specifics - It was about 20"x6"x12" It contained:

Ambu bag with three sized face masks
IV catheters, syringes, Bag of fluid(don't remember what)
Sharps container
BP / Stethoscope
Full bag of drugs(didn't pay attention to what they were)
There was alot of other stuff but I was focused on just what I needed. The flight attendant also brought me an A.E.D.

As I was leaving the flight attendant just asked me for my name, cert, and phone number.

Hope the info is helpful.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oxygen_Tubing.jpg

Did it look like the connector on the left?

Also, a few quick questions. What level are you? What did the physician do?

Last edited by a moderator:

MGary

Forum Probie
It won't let me paste the picture into this, but I found a list of what was contained in those medical kits. It's basically an Intermediate(85) jump kit, with some I-99 meds.

It contains a 500cc bag of NS, line, IV caths, IM needles, Benadryl, D-50, Nitro tabs, Epi 1:1,000, Epi 1:10,000, ASA, Bronchodilator MDI (doesn't specify if Duoneb, albuterol, or what) and ampules of Lidocaine. It also contains basic airway management (BVM, OPAs,) and they must carry an AED.

It says that it contains instructions on the use of these drugs, but does anybody besides me think that this should be limited to an I-85 at least? (And why Lido? Plan on treating arrythmias at 30,000 ft? It's not even hangable for post-resusc and I'm sure as hell not going to try and calculate the injection volume and then drip rate to put it in the NS bag)

Thoughts? Concerns? Personally, I wouldn't want some idiot giving me or my family 20mg of Lido with no idea what the MOA of Lido even is or what it's used for and going off of a little instruction booklet. This should be limited to I-85 and above, and take out the damn lido. And replace the 1:10,000 with an Epi-pen and Epi-pen jr. Not every flight will happen to have a medic on it.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
It won't let me paste the picture into this, but I found a list of what was contained in those medical kits. It's basically an Intermediate(85) jump kit, with some I-99 meds.

It contains a 500cc bag of NS, line, IV caths, IM needles, Benadryl, D-50, Nitro tabs, Epi 1:1,000, Epi 1:10,000, ASA, Bronchodilator MDI (doesn't specify if Duoneb, albuterol, or what) and ampules of Lidocaine. It also contains basic airway management (BVM, OPAs,) and they must carry an AED.

It says that it contains instructions on the use of these drugs, but does anybody besides me think that this should be limited to an I-85 at least? (And why Lido? Plan on treating arrythmias at 30,000 ft? It's not even hangable for post-resusc and I'm sure as hell not going to try and calculate the injection volume and then drip rate to put it in the NS bag)

Thoughts? Concerns? Personally, I wouldn't want some idiot giving me or my family 20mg of Lido with no idea what the MOA of Lido even is or what it's used for and going off of a little instruction booklet. This should be limited to I-85 and above, and take out the damn lido. And replace the 1:10,000 with an Epi-pen and Epi-pen jr. Not every flight will happen to have a medic on it.
is that on all delta airline planes? wondeer how the legalities would work there.. as in flight takes off from dublin airport does u.s or irish law apply in regards to patient care?

Scout

Para-Noid
Tonight as I was flying back home.....

Well done i'm sure they appreciated it.

EMT AFAIK, you could be in international territory and just ask for a doc to be put on the phone and do as he says.

If you look back in the above threads someone has posted their experiences of using this stuff, AK maybe?

JPINFV

Gadfly

On the other hand, it's very likely that there will be some sort of medical professional around. It's not like medics are the only person who can provide emergency care. Additionally, all airplanes are going to be able to patch you through to a contracted medical control center on the ground.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Tonight as I was flying back home I had the opportunity to work on a patient and open the Delta airline "jump kit" I had always been a bit curious what they carried so I thought I'd share the story.

As we approached for our night landing the cabin lights were turned off. Then I noticed the light in the back went on. I looked back and saw the flight attendant leaning over a seat and looking worried. I immediately knew I was about to be called into action. She asked for a medical professional on the intercom. I rushed to the back - was presented with an unresponsive pt. A doctor came too. I asked the flight attendant for their kit and O2 tank. I took the head in assessing the pt.
I worked well with the doctor.
Once landing a paramedic unit boarded and took the pt.

Our handling of the situation was pretty good. The bumpy landing while in the aisle with the pt was rough but I held on tight to the O2 tank.

There was a problem with the O2. Even though there was a ambu bag with O2 tubing in the kit, there was not the proper connection to hook it to the tank.(it was not a barbed connector. it was some kind of recessed female attachment) We had to use one of those masks that drop to the seats.

Bag specifics - It was about 20"x6"x12" It contained:

Ambu bag with three sized face masks
IV catheters, syringes, Bag of fluid(don't remember what)
Sharps container
BP / Stethoscope
Full bag of drugs(didn't pay attention to what they were)
There was alot of other stuff but I was focused on just what I needed. The flight attendant also brought me an A.E.D.

As I was leaving the flight attendant just asked me for my name, cert, and phone number.

Hope the info is helpful.
Um...?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
the transatlantic airlines are much better stocked, they have a "doctor's medical kit" as well as a basic one for non health care providers. I had the opportunity to open one of Lufthansa's they had all kinds of stuff, including heparin and an intubation kit. Nice drug cards with english on one side and german on the other.

Since nobody on board spoke whatever language he did, we eventually figured out he had a headache and wanted something for it. Ultimately he got 2 asparin from the kit)

The only medical people on board was myself and another medic. By some strange coincidence, we were sitting next to each other. I respectfully declined the gift, since I didn't do anything that was remotely worthy of a reward.

When I spoke to the German medical control doc his only question was: "Do we have to make an emergency landing?" After I said "no" he thanked me and hung up.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
is that on all delta airline planes? wondeer how the legalities would work there.. as in flight takes off from dublin airport does u.s or irish law apply in regards to patient care?

Having rendered assistance on a couple of trans-Atlantic flights, the rule is generally that if you are credentialed in the country of origin or the country of destination, you are covered (just like with interstate ground or aeromedical transports). That said, no one else I know who has offered assistance has ever caught hell for not having a credential meeting the requirements mentioned above.

the transatlantic airlines are much better stocked, they have a "doctor's medical kit" as well as a basic one for non health care providers. I had the opportunity to open one of Lufthansa's they had all kinds of stuff, including heparin and an intubation kit. Nice drug cards with english on one side and german on the other.

I've had to work a near-code on board a Lufthansa flight. They are one of my favorite airlines to fly because they are so well prepared for an in-flight emergency.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I immediately knew I was about to be called into action. She asked for a medical professional on the intercom. I rushed to the back - was presented with an unresponsive pt.

LOL I don't rush anywhere onboard aircraft. The last thing I want is to meet a pissed off sky marshall. Never intervene until asked. If you want to be proactive, tell the flight attendants when you get on the plane that you're willing to help in an emergency. I make a point to do this.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally, I wouldn't want some idiot giving me or my family 20mg of Lido with no idea what the MOA of Lido even is or what it's used for and going off of a little instruction booklet. This should be limited to I-85 and above, and take out the damn lido. And replace the 1:10,000 with an Epi-pen and Epi-pen jr. Not every flight will happen to have a medic on it

The flight attendants are trained to not allow someone to render above BLS care unless they can prove they are a medical professional. I've had to produce credentials on any time I've had to offer assistance.

Besides, 1:10,000 in an Epi-Pen isn't any good in a cardiac arrest. Epi is the only drug likely to offer any appreciable benefit in cardiac arrest outcomes, so removing it from the drug bag is a really stupid thing to do.

OP
OP
W

webster44

Forum Crew Member
Oxygen_Tubing.jpg

Did it look like the connector on the left?

Also, a few quick questions. What level are you? What did the physician do?

No. it didn't. There was this metal flap valve that I had to pivot, and then insert the connector.

I'm a Basic.

I took the lead in assessing the pt. The doctor told me to perform jaw thrust in order to stimulate a response. I also performed a sternum rub but he told me to stop. I set up I.V. Supplies but he declined to use it. When the medics arrived I gave the report and then the doctor disappeared.

I was very quick to act and suggested to the doctor to put in an I.V. because I work for the dept that that responded to the call. I knew that they would put one in anyway.

Additionally I felt comfortable in immediately responding as I am licensed specifically in the location the plane was landing.

OP
OP
W

webster44

Forum Crew Member
LOL I don't rush anywhere onboard aircraft. The last thing I want is to meet a pissed off sky marshall. Never intervene until asked.

I didn't leave my seat until the flight attendant asked for assistance.
Since the plane was moments away from landing I did move very quickly.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't leave my seat until the flight attendant asked for assistance.
Since the plane was moments away from landing I did move very quickly.
If the plane was truly moments away from landing (in other words, gear down on short final), I would not have left my seat until we were on the ground.

medic417

The Truth Provider
She asked for a medical professional on the intercom.

We should put your response and actions in that funniest thing heard/seen discussion.

I hope you did not come across in real life the way you did on here.

Oh and she wanted your name and other not for a hot date with her but for the patients lawyer that will be contacting you soon.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I immediately knew I was about to be called into action. She asked for a medical professional on the intercom. I rushed to the back - was presented with an unresponsive pt.

I took the lead in assessing the pt. The doctor told me to perform jaw thrust in order to stimulate a response. I also performed a sternum rub but he told me to stop. I set up I.V. Supplies but he declined to use it. When the medics arrived I gave the report and then the doctor disappeared.
I was very quick to act and suggested to the doctor to put in an I.V. because I work for the dept that that responded to the call. I knew that they would put one in anyway.

Haha, oh mate, calm down. All this talk of rushing into action and saving the day with you jaw thrusts....

Its nice that you helped and that you're proud of yourself but maybe tone down the action man narrative, eh. Did you ever actually assess the patient? What was wrong with him?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a Basic.

I took the lead in assessing the pt.

You = EMT-B. Physician = someone with better assessment abilities. Your statement is false.

I also performed a sternum rub but he told me to stop.

Because a sternal rub is generally not appropriate.

I set up I.V. Supplies but he declined to use it.

Good thing you gave your information. That way Delta can send you the bill for wasting their supplies.

Again, you = EMT-B, him = physician. Let me know how your suggestion worked out for you.

Additionally I felt comfortable in immediately responding as I am licensed specifically in the location the plane was landing.

Are you licensed? Or certified?

Sounds like Delta needs to review their policies about soliciting medical assistance from those with minimal medical education. The BVM without supplemental O2 would have provided better ventilatory support in comparison to a mask that was flowing at a max of 4LPM.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you...I wasn't about to risk getting an infraction for calling BS on this thread. LOL