Jump bag suggestions?

Jake Wesson

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am an EMT and have ran into constant situations where medical care is needed and I did not have any materials/tools with me. It has been car accidents, broken bones, and even a mass trauma situation. If I were to get a bag I would keep it in my car in case I were to get in another situation similar to the ones I wrote. I have been scowering the Internet looking for a good STOCKED bag. If anyone has any suggestions or links to a bag please let me know! Thank you!!

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
If you seriously run in into constant situations all the time, you must have a real dark cloud following you everywhere you go. Back to the topic of jump bags, I honestly don't see the point in buying a stocked bag. I personally think most of the ones offered online have a bunch of useless garbage. Just buy a bag yourself and stock it yourself with stuff you "think" you may need. I just have the basic bandages and trauma stuff with a few drugs like epi and Benadryl. If you have anymore and start acting like a hero, you are asking for a lawsuit. Just have enough to stabilize major bleeds and maybe a cpr mask. Other than that, its just overkill.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Just no.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If anyone has any suggestions or links to a bag please let me know!

Don't bother with all the pre-prepared bags. Gloves, a CPR mask (if you so choose), maybe some 5x9s, and a tourniquet is about all one really "needs."

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Sounds like you're living in an episode of Trauma.

Unless you live super rural with long response times, a little first aid kit is all you'll really need. I only have a pocket mask and some gloves in my daily driver.

If you're really set on getting one, I'm sure Amazon has some.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sounds like you're living in an episode of Trauma.
This. Op, a cell phone, GOOD CPR technique, and common sense is all you realistically need in the majority of these sort of situations.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't see anything wrong with a tourniquet - they're cheap(-ish), last a fairly long time, and are hard to improvise well.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I don't see anything wrong with a tourniquet - they're cheap(-ish), last a fairly long time, and are hard to improvise well.

If there's a real need for a tourniquet (major extremity bleed as in deep laceration or amputation):

1) Real EMS is on the way (i.e. the incident has been reported);
2) Improvised tourniquet will do fine for the 5-10 min it'll take real EMS to get on scene,
3) What you really need is a flowmaster or a good pen.

Why isn't high-speed tourniquet necessary in these situations ? Because I'm gonna do science now, go all physiological and explain real simple that when nociceptors relay the pain stimulus, the adrenal medulla secretes epinephrine/norepinephrine, which are nifty little hormones also known as adrenaline. And as we all learned in our cool EMT class, epinephrine is a vasopressor that causes constriction of blood vessels, thus delaying hypovolemic shock for a short time. In other words, the tourniquet (any) has to be applied, wound packed (that's why you need them handy 5x9's), time recorded (that's where the flowmaster or a pen come in handy) - preferably somewhere the ALS unit can see it, such as their forehead - and then you just sit there looking all smug and tactical, waiting for the cavalry to arrive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jake Wesson

Forum Ride Along
I do live in a very rural area. My ambulance core covers a lot of our county and response times are quite slow. Thank you all for the suggestions!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Does your ambulance corps supply any equipment? Are you on duty when these events happen?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I would only use it when I am off duty
IMG_2196.PNG

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I am an EMT and have ran into constant situations where medical care is needed and I did not have any materials/tools with me. It has been car accidents, broken bones, and even a mass trauma situation. If I were to get a bag I would keep it in my car in case I were to get in another situation similar to the ones I wrote.
This can't be for real....

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I am an EMT and have ran into constant situations where medical care is needed
If you run into constant situations without being too much of an *** here, i would get a new job. You'll get burnt out if your off duty time is also filled with medical care.