First Responder Bag

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Looking for a first responder bag, similar to what dynamed has.

MB050_330_2.jpg

Navy color.

Bag only. Looking to build myself a first responder/BLS kit.

PM or post here if you have something to offer and we'll talk it out.

Thanks!

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Looking for a first responder bag, similar to what dynamed has.

MB050_330_2.jpg

Navy color.

Bag only. Looking to build myself a first responder/BLS kit.

PM or post here if you have something to offer and we'll talk it out.

Thanks!

Can you be a little more specific about what you're looking to carry, when, where, etc? It appears that you are trained to the FR level only. How much do you plan on carrying? How do you plan to use it? Is it for expedition/wilderness situations like hikes or camping trips, or is this something you want to carry in your car just in case?

(You won't get a lot of sympathy or advice for the latter around here I'm afraid)

Anjel

Forum Angel
?

(You won't get a lot of sympathy or advice for the latter around here I'm afraid)

True *Sits backs and eats some popcorn*

Just remember the more stuff you carry the harder it is for the good Samaritan laws to cover your :censored::censored::censored:

OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
It's for sports sideline uses. I'm going to be an EMT next fall but this kit I'm building for my school's use.

Plan on having the general bleeding control, SAMs, sports tapes and the works.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If you really, simply MUST, just buy some 4x4s, kling, tape and a box of band aids. Toss it in an old backpack and voilà! Instant first responder kit. Anything more than that will get you in trouble.

OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Can I ask why it would get me in trouble?

It's a work position in school and our school has us covered for insurance.

OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
I understand but we need a new kit and my boss has allowed me to get a new bag. That's why I'm purchasing only a bag, we have supplies here.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think the key is that if you really do professionally need a bag like this, you'll usually be able to get one without going to an EMS forum. All of the bags I've ever needed I either got at a brick and morter store or from Dynamed or Galls or the like.

OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Ahh, well for now Galls is out of stock for this bag, hence I was looking around to see if anyone has ones that the dont want or the likes.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Guys give this guy a break! He is in charge of EMS at his school and is simply looking for a bag. Don't give him a hard time; he didn't ask for your advice on if he should get a jump kit, he just wants to know if anybody knows of a good place to get them or someone who has one to sell to him

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've written this so many times I've programmed it under "F3"

Buy an on-sale camera bag. The one you show looks nearly as good as the home video camera bag from Quantaray I bought on sale for $40 ten years ago, except mine had better zippers and shoulder sling. Mine had padding, adjustable dividers, medium double zippers on all external compartments, NO MESH, and lasted through six years of daily, nearly nonstop use and abuse. The second zipper on the main compartment failed and a tiny hole had worn through one bottom main compartment corner. It even went thorugh the washer once after getting bloody vomitus and saliva on it. Start now and keep an eye out for sturdy bargains, maybe ask your local little camera store owner about returns or any odd stock he has been sitting upon in the back.
Here's what I used after that one, for the last four years working Corrections, and for personal use as well. Still have it:
quantaray-sport-adventure-series-large-gadget-bag_1238365_175.jpg

PS: don't buy bags with the shoulder sling held on by snaps like the one you show. It's nearly impossible to go buy or swap a new one when needed. Buy one with the D-rings for snaphooks, preferably with swivels, and adjustable length.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
IF you HAVE to buy a "medical" bag per se:

Try our local giant, LifeAssist:
https://shop.life-assist.com/
I've had mostly good experience with them, other report sometimes they have a hard time getting a response. Go figure.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
+ 1 on the buy your own bag.

Each St John's FR is supposed to have their own kit and you have to go through this whole process or buy you own crappy shoulder bag for a small fortune.

Solution: A seven dollar back pack plus a few bits of stick on velcro I had lying around. Better for my back than shoulder bags and better for my wallet than anything else.

I get so much pleasure from waltzing along with my bare essentials back pack while everyone who rags on my el cheapo bag lugs around their billion dollar whacker packs along with ten tons of everything... just in case :p

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Guys give this guy a break! He is in charge of EMS at his school and is simply looking for a bag. Don't give him a hard time; he didn't ask for your advice on if he should get a jump kit, he just wants to know if anybody knows of a good place to get them or someone who has one to sell to him

No, it started off with the OP saying, "Looking to build myself a first responder/BLS kit." Then it became, "It's for sports sideline uses. I'm going to be an EMT next fall but this kit I'm building for my school's use."

The whacker/wanna-be alarms started ringing.

If he's a first responder, all he needs is 4x4s, king, band-aids and maybe a zip-lock bag to put some ice in. the most important thing he can carry is a cell phone to call for EMS if it's serious. If it's a school sanctioned position, I'm sure his school has a first aid kit of some sort and he's just looking to put all those band-aids in a "Hey, look at me, I've got a cool EMS style first aid kit" kinda bag.

Do I think the overpriced bags/boxes are a waste of time and money? Yup. Especially for first responders, who can handle most everything with a 10 dollar Johnson & Johnson First Aid Kit that they can buy at the local Walgreen's.

So, you get no sympathy from me. Places like Gall's and Chief Supply were made for people guys like this. It's just a warehouse full of overpriced first aid kits with reflective star of life insignia.

Have I clearly made my point?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Ivan I have one of those bags somewhere in the shop. It was a Christmas gift from a company I worked for a few years ago. If I can find it you can have it but you will have to pay shipping. It is still in the plastic if I remember correctly.