Is EMS an honorable profession?

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member
I think many people in healthcare believe they are doing good work but sometimes I wonder if EMS is doing good in the world, philosophically speaking. I ask because I have friends who are teachers and counselors and I wonder if I am doing good work like they are. What do you folks think? I am a Colorado emt by the way.

atropine

Forum Captain
I think that the fire service is a shame and it's only a matter of time before the public see's that, as for ems I don't think enough prevention is being done to lighten our work load and use prevention like the fire sevices used prevention and now there are not too many fires to keep that industry busy, or even justified.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think that if you approach your day with the intention of doing good for people, and then go and do that, it doesn't matter what you're doing (mostly), you're doing good in the world. The guy at my Subway is like that...he makes sandwiches and brings happiness into the world.

We in EMS can do that, but it just takes a little extra attention to make sure you are seeing everyone as individuals, and are doing what you can to make your day a better place to be.

As to whether EMS as a whole is doing a positive thing? Well, that's debatable, but it's wrapped up in the mess of healthcare, and a lot of time we, like the ERs, are left to try and fill the gaps, or deal with the people whose gaps need to be filled. It's not always exactly what should be done, nor do we always have the right answer, but I really believe that we bring a net positive into the world.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Make your corner a good one

You can't take "EMS" as a whole and generalize. Some services are bad, others good, some people honorable and not (it is pretty subjective, no?). Being at the floppy end of protocols and procedures and polices can dictate that you do things not too "honorable"-feeling, but often they will turn out better than the alternatives.
Just as field EMS is not a profession, but many practitioners act professionally, you can be an honorable practitioner. Make sure you can go home each day knowing you did your best, you didn't hurt anyone unnecessarily, and you'll do better as time comes along.
Oh, and knowing when to refuse to participate and to quit or get fired, also.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like abckidsmom said, if you try to do good for others, then that's what will happen. Not every call we run is a life-threatening call, in fact, the majority of them are not, as I'm sure you know. However, with every call we have a chance to make a difference, we're given the unique opportunity to show someone that there's someone there for them in their time of need. We get to show them that there's someone who does care, and if we can do right by our patients, and provide competent, compassionate care, then that is honorable in my mind.

That being said, there are honorable and dishonorable companies, but in the end, it's up to the provider to be act honorably.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I think many people in healthcare believe they are doing good work but sometimes I wonder if EMS is doing good in the world, philosophically speaking. I ask because I have friends who are teachers and counselors and I wonder if I am doing good work like they are. What do you folks think? I am a Colorado emt by the way.

You don't have any relatives that are EMTs do you? Because I would SWEAR you are related to my partner. :glare:

Anjel

Forum Angel
What I cant stand is EMTs.going around, demanding respect, and acting like they have the single most important job in the world.

I love my pts. And I do make a difference. From the terrified 14y.o who tried killing herself that I get to talk to for an hour as she is.going to a psych hospital all alone. To the 90 y.o old man who just wants to hold my hand and tell me about his wife of 70 years who just passed away as I am taking him to a nursing home.

I make a difference to them. And thats pretty honorable to me. I dont need recognition for that.

Sasha

Forum Chief
What I cant stand is EMTs.going around, demanding respect, and acting like they have the single most important job in the world.

I love my pts. And I do make a difference. From the terrified 14y.o who tried killing herself that I get to talk to for an hour as she is.going to a psych hospital all alone. To the 90 y.o old man who just wants to hold my hand and tell me about his wife of 70 years who just passed away as I am taking him to a nursing home.

I make a difference to them. And thats pretty honorable to me. I dont need recognition for that.

6b29f1ff-4fed-30f6.jpg

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

terrible one

Always wandering
I think that the fire service is a shame and it's only a matter of time before the public see's that, as for ems I don't think enough prevention is being done to lighten our work load and use prevention like the fire sevices used prevention and now there are not too many fires to keep that industry busy, or even justified.

Coming from LAs finest? I'm guessing this was either sarcasm or trying to get a rise out of people?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Agreed

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
You know you bring up the word "honorable" which I'd like to define

3: performed or accompanied with marks of honor or respect

4a : attesting to creditable conduct
b : consistent with an untarnished reputation

5: characterized by integrity : guided by a high sense of honor and duty

As far as EMS is concerned, I'd like to say that yes.... EMS is honorable... and here's why. When I'm working for a BLS transport company on an Ambulance, nobody in the public know that I'm not running 911 calls left and right, but the personification of being uniformed & helping others when they're at their worst makes people walk up and say "thank you". I don't use those words to get paragod mentality, but instead I use it to realise that people appreciate my services. That, in turn, makes me love my job even more. Sure, Firefighters and Cops get a lot more respect for their "Braver" actions running into burning buildings and dealing with criminals -- but in my mind, EMS are the good guys that are just there to help people that are sick & injured.... and that is what makes EMS honorable

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Humans helping humans in any shape or form is an honorable trait.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Like abckidsmom said, if you try to do good for others, then that's what will happen. Not every call we run is a life-threatening call, in fact, the majority of them are not, as I'm sure you know. However, with every call we have a chance to make a difference, we're given the unique opportunity to show someone that there's someone there for them in their time of need. We get to show them that there's someone who does care, and if we can do right by our patients, and provide competent, compassionate care, then that is honorable in my mind.

That being said, there are honorable and dishonorable companies, but in the end, it's up to the provider to be act honorably.

That's just it, I practice medicine (very basic medicine, but medicine) in an honorable way. I do my best to be there for my patients and to attend to their realistically possible needs. I care for my patients and feel it is my duty to do so. Most of my coworkers share a similar mindset, but some do not. I do not agree with their attitudes but I also realize that the end of the day that it is my care that defines me as a provider, not someone else.

I think we can generalize that EMS is an honorable profession, but there are always going to be those that ruin it for others. That's true for every honorable profession though.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I have patients that come and visit me at the station days after the call that would say yes, I think I make a difference everyday I work. I treat everyone with absolute respect no matter the call nature, some days I can truely say I saved a life, other days it was a shift full of comforting and educating the public.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Back to OP...

BUT, is "EMS an honorable profession?".

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Coming from LAs finest? I'm guessing this was either sarcasm or trying to get a rise out of people?

I'm thinking that maybe Atropine got laid off and is a little bitter?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
To answer the OP, I feel that EMS is an honorable profession if you're doing it for reasons other than social status, as a way to give you a missing sense of self worth, or if you're doing it just because there's nothing better available to you. The work may not be intellectually demanding most of the time, but it's still important work enough of the time.