Invention ideas: Self Cleaning Ambulance

Kayla kovago

Forum Ride Along
doing a project for an emt class and need to come up with a new invention to make ems easier. One idea we came up with is an ambulance that is able to clean itself. Still working on the details. Any ideas for this project? Things about the idea that could work/ not work?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
They have portable foggers that will stetilize inside the unit (I believe ours uses chlorine dioxide). I suppose a similar system could be built into an ambulance.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Does every EMT program in the country assign the same project?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
doing a project for an emt class and need to come up with a new invention to make ems easier. One idea we came up with is an ambulance that is able to clean itself. Still working on the details. Any ideas for this project? Things about the idea that could work/ not work?

I like it! Close the doors and push the button, like those self cleaning public toilets.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I think MONAC has something similar to the fogger but it sounded like some of their employees may have started developing an allergic reaction to the chemicals used. It's been a couple years since I read the article but something like that I could see being an issue. Aerosolizing disinfectants can cause a reaction as more of the chemical is in the air than before. In order for the disinfectant to be useful it has to be able to last longer in the air then the ones we wipe with.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Back during the ebola scare one of our local hospitals debuted a new ultraviolet device to disinfect rooms

http://abc7.com/technology/meet-gigi-oc-hospitals-ebola-zapping-robot/349654/

Something like that might work more effectively than a fogger for an ambulance. Probably not something each vehicle would carry, but something at the main station, maybe zap the inside after each shift or even just a couple times a week?
Some of our hospitals have been using those for a while. One stopped after they found that their own EVS people were more effective.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Kinda pointless for 99% of calls, where you just need to wipe down the stretcher and maybe sweep out the floor. And if it doesn't actually wipe away bodily fluids, then it is useless.