Introduction

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd do the cordial thing and introduce myself.
From Vancouver, BC - Recently 'signed off' as an ALS paramedic for the BC Ambulance Service (http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/bcas/). Currently the Charge dispatcher of one of the 5 teams in our dispatch centre, which serves aobut 2 million people and handles roughly 1,000 calls a day. Good times, but can't wait to get possted back on car to use the new-found skills.

So that's it, otherwise it's pretty much Simpsons and beer.

Cheers

Merck

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

We have several members here from north of the border, so I'm sure you'll feel right at home, eh?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome!

I can't imagine dispatching 1000 calls a day, how many units are you running?

It's great to have you, and I hope you stick around 'eh? ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Merck@Mar 28 2005, 08:57 PM
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd do the cordial thing and introduce myself.
From Vancouver, BC - Recently 'signed off' as an ALS paramedic for the BC Ambulance Service (http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/bcas/). Currently the Charge dispatcher of one of the 5 teams in our dispatch centre, which serves aobut 2 million people and handles roughly 1,000 calls a day. Good times, but can't wait to get possted back on car to use the new-found skills.

Congrats, and welcome.

Again, I can't imagine the dispatch pace... how many staff on each shift?

how do the 5 shifts work hours-wise...I've only heard of 3 or 4 shifts.

So that's it, otherwise it's pretty much Simpsons and beer.
I Wish... on both counts.... the joys of 2nd shift and being under 21.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:D Welcome! :D

OP
OP
Merck

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, thanks for the hello.

To answer a few of the questions, our shift pattern in dispatch rocks - 4 on, 6 off. 12.5 hour shifts - 2 days, 2 nights. On car it's 4 on, 4 off. During the day, we have up to 12 dispatchers with 4 of the positions radio positions that divide our area. At peak times we're responsible for dispatching around 90 ambulances. We have a tiered system with the majority of cars BLS (Primary Care Paramedics, as they're called here) and some ALS cars (now, Advanced Care Paramedics). As well, the province runs the air ambulance program, which is where I'm hoping to end up in a few years.

It can get pretty hectic, like I'm sure you've all experienced, but it's still pretty fun.

Cheers, eh?

Merck