CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I love our guidelines at coachella.

Alone: Can you walk and are able to say what you're going to do? - Good to go.

With friends: Do you wake up with a trap pinch and are your friends sober enough / competent enough to take care of you? - Good to go.

Foot patrol X available no medical aid needed. There were some temps that I had that shat bricks when I did that. They had the oh my God what the hell are you doing look in their eyes.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
3 years ago some temps were all "wtf why you being mean?!?!?" When I yelled at a drunk person to suck it up and to stand up and walk over to the cot.

evantheEMT

Forum Crew Member
I've had a pt sign a refusal after crashing his car. He admitted to alcohol use and I could smell it but he was A/ox's3. Depending on your state it depends on how to handle this call.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've had a pt sign a refusal after crashing his car. He admitted to alcohol use and I could smell it but he was A/ox's3. Depending on your state it depends on how to handle this call.
Being able to answer a few orientation questions does not make one capable to refuse necessarily and that is true in all states. Most EMTs are not taught to perform a mental status exam, which is too bad because it's a great way to help you decide if someone is able to refuse further care. And yes, alcohol can play a role in this as well.

evantheEMT

Forum Crew Member
Being able to answer a few orientation questions does not make one capable to refuse necessarily and that is true in all states. Most EMTs are not taught to perform a mental status exam, which is too bad because it's a great way to help you decide if someone is able to refuse further care. And yes, alcohol can play a role in this as well.
Yes they do

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes they do
What does? If you seriously think that asking the patient "who is the president?" is good enough, I hope that soon a refusal goes wrong for you and you either get a wake up or your career is ended.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
As everyone said, if they didnt request medical treatment then they are not a patient. I also work in a college town and i fight with the campus cops on this all the time. Being intoxicated isnt illegal and isnt a medical emergency, AND i have no way to determine if they are legally intoxicated. If they have a complaint then i will assess and advise. If i feel the patient is competent enough to understand his options for seeking medical care i have no problem leaving him.