Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Heres a list of things recent applicants have done to me, their interviewer and would be boss, that basically immediatly eliminates them from current or future consideration

Lack of punctuality: If we schedule an interview for 0900, do not show up at 0910, 0905, or 0901. Ive got 6 interviews today, im on a schedule and have a department to run. be on time and ready to start at 0900. Do not email me 45 minutes before your interview and cancel without a GREAT reason. I will immediately tell you we no longer have a position for you and remove you from our list.

Appearance: This is my initial impression of you. If you look unprofessional, i assume you will be unprofessional. Dont show up in a tshirt. If you show up in work clothes, tell me why. I will ask why your in scrubs/uniform/ect. If you are coming from another job, will you have time for us?

Attitude: This is, by far, the biggest thing that kills people in the interview. Skills and written test are important, but the interview is weighted the highest. RELAX! BREATHE! Sell me on you. We are looking for people, we want good people, tell me why you are that person! I want to hire you, i just need to be convinced. Uncertainty kills people. I tell applicants all the time, relax. This is just a conversation.

Come Prepared: I expect a copy of your resume when you sit down. I like to look at it and ask you questions. This is a small community. Chances are i know someone who you worked with. Expect me to ask about them. If you list "Local Volunteer Squad" as experience, i will ask how Captain Joe is.

Think about what i might ask you beforehand:
Whats you favorite kind of call: Dont say traumas, they are clinically easy and boring and its a cliche answer. Im looking to see if you challenge yourself, if it is trauma, tell me why
Areas that you are strong/weak in: This doesnt have to be an EMS thing. Im looking for some self reflection. Id rather know what im getting into before i hire you. If you are a procrastinator, tell me, we can work on it instead of surprising me.
Why do you want to work here? Be honest, if your looking for a side gig, tell me. I hate when people tell me they are super available then put in one day a week.

If you have any other questions, PM me