Interview Riddles

Alas

Forum Crew Member
Hello fair citizens of emtlife. I've finally gotten a chance at an interview this week, and I wanted to know what were some of the trickier, trick questions you've been asked and how you responded to it. I've read in another post, someone was asked at an interview -if you can take one thing out of the ambulance what would it be?

Thank you
Alas

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
My knowledge... ^_^

OP
OP
A

Alas

Forum Crew Member
gee thanks guys.

I'm sorry i worded that question wrong:
If you had to remove one thing from the ambulance, what would it be?

Last edited by a moderator:

nemedic

Forum Captain
the incredible ability of management to monday morning quarterback everything and insist on pointless policies, and then miraculously find another "fault" once you follow their latest edict.

As the saying goes (or more accurately, how I remember it) "the usefullness of a supervisor is inveresly proportional to the length of time they have been "supervising".

And that's something that's in an ambulance. wedged right between the black box and the protocol/policy manual.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
That pesky spare tire.

Can't hide as many purloined linens with it in there.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
if you can take one thing out of the ambulance what would it be?
The radio to our dispatch.

People would be better off communicating with us by smoke signal.

In terms of interview questions, I've only ever really been asked standard HR type questions with a few random "scenario" type questions related to ambulance work thrown in. "Tell us about a time your provided excellent customer service" and crap like that (gotta love for-profit healthcare).

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If you had to remove one thing from the ambulance, what would it be?

The short board. It's required here in Massachusetts, but the KED replaces it pretty well.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Hello fair citizens of emtlife. I've finally gotten a chance at an interview this week, and I wanted to know what were some of the trickier, trick questions you've been asked and how you responded to it. I've read in another post, someone was asked at an interview -if you can take one thing out of the ambulance what would it be?

Thank you
Alas

Oxygen Tank
:rolleyes:

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Tell us about a time you made an unsafe scene safe?
Tell us about your most rewarding EMS experience?
My favorite: "Why do you want to work here?"
Still trying to sugarcoat the honest response to that one, its where everyone in the area starts out.
AMR interview questions asked at an interview for an entry level EMT position.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
if you can take one thing out of the ambulance what would it be?

About 75% of the EMTs and paramedics I have worked with.

My favorite: "Why do you want to work here?"

"Because you're not TransCare."

As the saying goes (or more accurately, how I remember it) "the usefullness of a supervisor is inveresly proportional to the length of time they have been "supervising".

On the volunteer fire department, we used to describe the "fire pentagon": heat, fuel, oxygen, chemical reaction, chief officer. Remove any of these from the equation/scene and the fire will go out.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
In every job interview I've had I get asked the situational questions.

"Tell me about a time you helped someone."

"Have you ever had to deal with an upset party?"

I've worked in health care, EMS, SAR, and child care for years. Sitting there in the hot seat flipping through the countless 800 billion times I've had to deal with a pissed off patient, parent, doctor, etc and trying to pick one shining example is like torture.

I have pre-planned, contemplated my experiences, and typed out a good story for each of the most common questions, but they always seem to have a couple I hadn't thought of.

As a tip for interviewees though, I highly recommend doing this prior to your interviews. Brainstorm stories you can tell and refine them. That way you don't get the deer in the headlights look when they ask you to tell them about a time you made an unpopular decision and stood by it, and you suddenly develop amnesia.

Some of the more common ones I've seen:

-Creative solution to a problem
-Conflict with coworkers/supervisors
-Upset parties
-Made a decision you later regretted or questioned

Etc etc.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I read that as "If you are responding to a call, and can only bring one thing with you from the ambulance what would it be? - My partner :)

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I was asked my weaknesses and my most difficult ems experience. As a new emt there isn't a lot to work off of but I went straight to my cumadin patient who fell as my toughest. The bandaging and assessment proved mildly difficult but I handled that fine. Then it was time to do the second trip sheet I had ever done and spent two hours piecingthe scene together in emstat.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I read that as "If you are responding to a call, and can only bring one thing with you from the ambulance what would it be? - My partner :)

If I could only bring one thing from the ambulance, I wouldn't waste the time.

ajax

Forum Crew Member
I think i'd go with my pants. I'd be pretty embarrassed to respond to a call pants-less.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I think i'd go with my pants. I'd be pretty embarrassed to respond to a call pants-less.

I know of a volunteer EMT who showed up shirtless to a call once. :p