Interesting Human Body Facts

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I can't claim credit for this one...I got it from www.dt4ems.net

Interesting Human Body Facts

The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.

A full bladder is roughly the size of a soft ball.

It takes the food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach.

One human hair can support 3 kg (6 lb).

Human thighbones are stronger than concrete.

The attachment of human muscles to skin is what causes dimples.

The average man's penis is three times the length of his thumb.

A woman's heart beats faster than a man's.

If the average male never shaved, his beard would be 13 feet long when he died.

Men with hairless chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.

There are about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet.

Side by side, 2000 cells from the human body could cover about one square inch.

Women blink twice as often as men.

The average person's skin weighs twice as much as the brain.

When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate. . . .they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate!

Your ears secrete more earwax when you are afraid than when you aren't.

Your body uses 300 muscles to balance itself when you are standing still.

If saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.

The average woman is five inches shorter than the average man.

. . . . . . Still sizing up your thumb aren't you?
thumb25.gif

JPINFV

Gadfly
Your body uses 300 muscles to balance itself when you are standing still. (Citation needed)

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Your body uses 300 muscles to balance itself when you are standing still. (Citation needed)

Try google and snopes.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
An infant has less blood than a 12 oz. can of soda

firecoins

IFT Puppet

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha speaking of femur fractures... fellow Sgt. on my SAR team is also a sound tech for a theater company. Right before opening night of their last production he told them all "I hope you all get bilateral femur fractures!!!"

There was a long moment of utter confusion before one of the actors remembered what a femur is.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
if your elderly male pt has no leg hair, ask him about his cardiac history.

if your pt has a yellow rim around the iris, ask him about his high cholesterol.

mikie

Forum Lurker
if your elderly male pt has no leg hair, ask him about his cardiac history.

if your pt has a yellow rim around the iris, ask him about his high cholesterol.

No sh*t, really? Can you provide a source for that, that seems pretty cool. (PS- I don't think this was taught during my Basic course under assessments)

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
-Hence femur fx's hurt like a biatch and can cause some nasty internal bleeders (needing surgery!)

I was just thinking of quoting that and saying the same thing but you beat me to it!
lol

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
No. I can't. But ask it and you get an answer nearly everytime that verifies it. It may be d/t diabetes or thyroid, but most often you'll find that the pt has had a bypass or something else. Either way, it will give you a hint of some medical Hx, especially if the pt is unable to answer your questions (Uncx, poor historians, etc) and you're into your secondary exam.

As for the ring around the iris, well, that's only useful if they aren't taking meds for high cholesterol already and c/o chest pain.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Some really interesting facts!!

Haha speaking of femur fractures... fellow Sgt. on my SAR team is also a sound tech for a theater company. Right before opening night of their last production he told them all "I hope you all get bilateral femur fractures!!!"

There was a long moment of utter confusion before one of the actors remembered what a femur is.

We have differnent things to say with my tech crew...Fly its smash a finger (hurts like no other!) runners its break an ankle, sound break and ear drum and for my fellow light techs its break a finger. :D

Lol actors. Just finished a play Saturday night and had to strike the set. I had to take a number of drills away from actors so I could get the screw out because they were stripping their 2 bit. Lol

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
Probably everyone knows these, but *shrug*

Clubbing of the fingers]Finger Clubbing is seen in association with many diseases, including Lung Ca, TB, chronic hypoxia, and others.

Splinter hemorrhages (thin reddish brown lines under the nails) are linked to bacterial endocarditis.

Gingival Hyperplasiais frequently associated with anti-seizure medicines (although NOT SPECIFIC!), can be associated with Calcium channel blockers and cyclosporine use.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Some really interesting facts!!

We have differnent things to say with my tech crew...Fly its smash a finger (hurts like no other!) runners its break an ankle, sound break and ear drum and for my fellow light techs its break a finger. :D

Lol actors. Just finished a play Saturday night and had to strike the set. I had to take a number of drills away from actors so I could get the screw out because they were stripping their 2 bit. Lol

Actors and striking sets, the technical aspect at least, is just a bad idea! I did tech (sound!). Give them costumes, not scenery or lights or anything with electricity or power tools.

Here's another fact, albeit not as exciting- I know...

Your foot is the distance between your wrist and elbow (I'm pretty sure...)

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Sorry everyone......... I was busy measuring my thumbs............ Bwahahahaha!

It looks like a lot of folks missed the "thumbs" part of the original post :)

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Actors and striking sets, the technical aspect at least, is just a bad idea! I did tech (sound!). Give them costumes, not scenery or lights or anything with electricity or power tools.

Here's another fact, albeit not as exciting- I know...

Your foot is the distance between your wrist and elbow (I'm pretty sure...)

Just Measured Pretty Darn Close

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I keep reading it over and I don't see anything about thumbs.

Anosmia is the medical term for the inability to smell. It can be congenital or caused by brain injury, toxin exposure, nasal polyps, misuse of certain vasoconstrictive nasal sprays, drug use, esthesioneuroblastoma or a variety of other diseases.

Parosmia is a disorder in which a person incorrectly perceives present odors. For example, there will be roses in front of them, but they'll smell vomit. The false smell is usually something unpleasant.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember reading somewhere that drastic ridging and changes in fingernails is symptomatic of some condition. Saw a pt the other day who had this and it brought it up. Can't remember what it was, but this gal's nail beds were really, really gnarly for about the bottom 1/8" of her nail.