Interested in EMT-B, but how do i get used to the gore

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
While not an EMT - I could handle blood, guts and stuff. I would have to say that what gets to me is fecal matter, facial injuries (eyes, mouth), and the smell of sickness (sweat, poor hygiene and general uncleanness).

Unfortunately you will see a lot of all that stuff, too.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
What has been worrying me about this path, is that I might be too empathetic with the geriatric. I have been thinking about that one recently. How do you avoid the human feelings one has about your fellow man, especially the aged? I guess you become detached in time, but this is the one issue I wonder about.

Anyone have any advice on this one?

Oh, and I carry vicks in my bag. Works GREAT.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
What has been worrying me about this path, is that I might be too empathetic with the geriatric. I have been thinking about that one recently. How do you avoid the human feelings one has about your fellow man, especially the aged? I guess you become detached in time, but this is the one issue I wonder about.

I think everyone has something that touches them. I love elderly folks to bits and nothing gets to me quite like an older man crying. Not sure why. I think it's a matter of how you handle the calls that are rough for you - both in the moment and later on. You have to be able to stay compassionate yet composed in the moment, and not dwell on things too much afterwards.

One thing you'll find is that a lot of your peers have little respect for elderly folks... and although that irritates me to no end, I personally find some comfort and pride in knowing I treat these people with the respect and care they deserve.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Just because you found body parts in Corona does not mean it came from someone hit by the 7 train. Manbearpig used to ride the 7 to Shea.

You're cereal about that, aren't you?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

Would you please start that as a separate thread; good stuff!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
After reading the posts over again, I realized the OP was asking something like how do you anticipate getting grossed out.

You don't; it just happens.

You can suppress yourself just so far, and if you have to, puke (not on the patient) and get back to work. The more you fight it the more power it has over you and your judgments around patient care.