Increasing public respect: an idea

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
^
I'm talking literally about a picture of a portable radio just like this taking up a good 1/8th of a page. No labels, no nothing. If it seriously takes longer than 5 seconds of training at your first job to know what a portable radio looks like, then EMS is just not the field for you.

Taking up that much of the page tells me that the publisher was trying to pad the length of the book. It's easier to sell a book for more money to a college when it's bigger and seemingly full of more information.

And let's face it: BLS, as it stands today, isn't all that complex. It's mostly learning basic assessments, how to move a patient, and if it's bleeding you push on it until the medic arrives.

Having a book with more 500 pages is easier to sell for a high price than a pamphlet.

Now, if you're arguing that BLS should require more training and have a higher standard, we are not in disagreement. After passing my BLS certification and actually starting on the road, I learned a lot of stuff just running as a trainee. Things that should have been taught during class.

But that pic of the radio? Yeah, probably just trying to fill the page.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
^
I'm talking literally about a picture of a portable radio just like this taking up a good 1/8th of a page. No labels, no nothing. If it seriously takes longer than 5 seconds of training at your first job to know what a portable radio looks like, then EMS is just not the field for you.

Not only EMS if it takes a person more than a few seconds to recognize a portable radio then most career fields are not for you.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Not only EMS if it takes a person more than a few seconds to recognize a portable radio then most career fields are not for you.
I think you may be overestimating a lot of people. Recently, I went into a Radio Shack store to pick up some electrical parts, and I had a Motorola handheld radio in my hand. The sales clerk saw it and immediately started trying to sell me "a better cellphone".

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I think you may be overestimating a lot of people. Recently, I went into a Radio Shack store to pick up some electrical parts, and I had a Motorola handheld radio in my hand. The sales clerk saw it and immediately started trying to sell me "a better cellphone".

In his defense, a lot of handhelds do look like the old school "brick" cellys. However, overall, I have to rate that sales clerk as ignorant.

I would have laughed at him.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Note to self: never, ever start a thread about clothes again. Or tattoos.

No actually many learn from such topics that off spring. You would be surprised on the IM and PM I recieve from those that do not post. Discussion that they never had thought of it that way; or wished they had been taught differently.

Ok, so I'm confused here.

You guys don't like the "simple" pictures in text books, but you also feel that EMTs should go straight into MICP school without any experience.

So at what point are they supposed to become familiar with all this stuff?

Maybe in a perfect world all MICP schools would have a variety of equipment so the students could become familiar with different versions of the same stuff, but not all schools can afford that.

Simple, shut the doors if they cannot provide such services. Quit having classes and instead have a program! I refuse to teach at half-arse schools anymore! They make thousands of dollars per semester off students. Now, go compare the equipment in other areas of the school notice the difference? Many companies will even offer demonstrator models, but many instructors never ask or in touch with current equipment. We sometimes will receive new equipment before it even hits the market, they want students to want to work with such equipment so providers will purchase it.

Not a perfect world? No. Just one that the industry should ensure that the programs if they agree to take the money from students they should actually know how to budget and purchase, take care, and to replace vital equipment to teach with. If they can't; they don't get to teach it.

As a student I would be outrage if the institution could not provide me with the material and data to be abreast when I entered the job market.

Yes, I put my money where my mouth is. I have refused to teach at a local EMS program locally and instead drive over 40 miles to teach at another. The reason? When teaching last semester I attempted to demonstrate the KED. The KED had no lift handles, the straps were so frayed that one could not tighten the straps, intubation heads were torn so bad the tongue could be seen on the side. I found out, the KED was the same KED I purchased when I was the program director over 19 years ago. Now, I figure with students paying >$500 for EMT and $3,000 for Paramedic; surely they should have a depreciation value and budget appropriately to replace equipment.

I now teach with a program that replaces any torn and worn equipment immediately. Tools to teach effectively. Wow! What a difference! Not only for the educator, but for the student. I can say ... yes! It makes a difference.

In regards to visual aids, I am all for it but let's be reasonable. How many pics does it take does it show how to place a BP cuff on a patient? To show fingers on a radial pulse? Again is it warranted because our target audience lacks the intelligence to figure such out without so much clarity? If so, then this is an added + to screen the applicants prior to being able to enter EMS programs.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
That's awesome, Rid. Our program doesn't even have working suction stuff. We get all of Nursing's castoffs. :(

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That's awesome, Rid. Our program doesn't even have working suction stuff. We get all of Nursing's castoffs. :(

Doubtful, that your Division Chairperson or President is aware of this. I would inform the instructor that you want working equipment or demand your money back. Next to the Program Coordinator with the same request then up the chain of command.

Threaten to talk to the license commission or even news media... this usually gets their attention. Also make note that if any harassment of unfair grading towards you, they will definitely regret it.

Good luck!

R/r 911

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Doubtful, that your Division Chairperson or President is aware of this. I would inform the instructor that you want working equipment or demand your money back. Next to the Program Coordinator with the same request then up the chain of command.

Threaten to talk to the license commission or even news media... this usually gets their attention. Also make note that if any harassment of unfair grading towards you, they will definitely regret it.

Good luck!

R/r 911

Most of our equipment was brand new, but a few things were old leftovers. The stretcher we always used was something that looks like it came out of the back of the old "Ghostbusters" style ambulance station wagons. All chromed out and pretty, but old looking nonetheless. And the KED's and traction splints sucked. Always missing a strap here or a buckle there...

We reused a lot of endotracheal tubes too. Granted, they are just going down the throat of a dummy over and over again, but after a while the cuff stops deflating all the way and the stupid thing keeps getting stuck on the epiglottis.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Rid I went to a University program and they were trying to shut us down because the MICP program was operating at a loss. As the program has progressed and was shown to be successful the University has been more willing to spend money on it. Private programs can charge whatever they want, but the University programs are restricted by the University fees and rules.

OP
OP
Kookaburra

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, they're very aware. But until you're in the Paramedic program, they won't even return phone calls.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
When I'm off duty I don't even like to wear clothes. ^_^

Actually, I do like clothes. When I go to conferences, I usually dress to relax, because I'm off from work. And I can't buy lots of new nice clothes, because I've been afflicted with an acute and recurrent case of poverty.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief