Increasing public respect: an idea

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I just shared my experience in the last year at four major conferences and not once did I witness these accusations. Nor did I hear any guffaws or comments from any of my associates.
Could that be because you and your associates find the practice acceptable?

I didn't say everyone was laughing at them. I said those who have some dignity and professional pride are laughing at them.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
One might argue that people wear EMS shirts because they have professional pride.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
One might argue that people wear EMS shirts because they have professional pride.
Not logically, they couldn't. Self ego and professional pride should not be confused.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Could that be because you and your associates find the practice acceptable?

I didn't say everyone was laughing at them. I said those who have some dignity and professional pride are laughing at them.

What practice? The practice of wearing a uniform at an EMS conference? If that's what they want to wear, then that's their business. I personally have no problem with it and I could only assume my associates do not either. Again, nothing was discussed among us.

Are you suggesting that anyone who does not have "dignity and professional pride" should be laughing at them?

You strike me as someone with measurable experience and intelligence in EMS; however, some of your comments and personal conclusions in this thread as well as others, resemble in my mind someone more akin to a bigot.

Aidey

Maybe you haven't met anyone like this, but I've worked with some people who are genuinely proud of being a FF or EMT and they like to show it. They are proud of what they do and don't see any problem in "living the life" and showing what they do.

Each profession has a set of profession related t-shirts, trinkets, decals, stickers and other paraphernalia. Both police officers and nurses come to mind as professions that also have a lot of profession related products, but you can find stuff for any profession.

Go to a website like cafepress.com and search for any profession and I'll bet you will find something. Police, Fire, EMS, Teachers, Garbage collectors, Salesmen, Mechanics, Scientists etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I couldn't debate you on this. I've never attended any of the conferences that you have described above; therefore, I will have to plead ignorance.

However, the posts referenced uniforms at an EMS conference and it was suggested that people who attend such conference in uniform would be subject to ridicule, etc. This sounds more a conclusion from your personal view and Rid's as well. I just shared my experience in the last year at four major conferences and not once did I witness these accusations. Nor did I hear any guffaws or comments from any of my associates.

I much rather be called a "bigot" than an ambulance driver. At least I am educated enough to know the difference of each. Just because I hold ethical and morale values higher than some others and wish those in the profession to become professional should not be considered as bigotry.

The main reason you like such is you make your bucks off them. If there were no uniform and pretty patches for those glamour shots, what would we place in those texts? Amazing, very few true medical texts have to have such pics and they get the point across.

Again, not to argue but how many local conventions did you attend? Sure large EMS usually does not bring out the "whackers" alike small, local ones. How many medics you know of (including myself) can afford to spend a grand or more on a three day conference, if it was not sponsored by the company?

I have and continue to speak at many, yes; you are correct at the national level there is fewer and fewer. One way we have decreased the uniform locally is to have a "uniform day" so everyone can wear theirs. Even the smaller ones I have seen the uniforms decreased to the "T-shirts and jeans" as you described. At least now, they do not bring their radios and scanners like they going to respond to a call 150 miles away.

I don't personally don't mind the "PR" t-shirts such as from flight services, EMS, etc.. However; it's not that I will wear them out in public except for running, working on the house, etc.

What irritates me more is to see the typical ....FIRE/RESCUE .... block letters on the back of the T-shirt. You can assume that their 4 wheel pick up with light bar and infamous "FIRE DEPT." front tag is in the parking lot.

Alike what others state, attend other professional conferences. As a speaker at other conferences such as even physician, nurses level and notice any difference?

I have to use anecdotal and lots of humor to keep those in attendance thoughts focused. In comparison to nurses, physicians which want facts and data. In fact, light humor is appreciated but if performed alike in EMS, thought of as tacky and inappropriate.

It is not that we should be so "up-tight"; but hopefully as we become educated we should demand and expect professionalism in our profession. If it is not taught from the beginning, and continued onward through the program it will never be expected. Hence; instructors should lead by example. Emphasis upon how tacky and demeaning such t-shirts and paraphernalia makes the profession look.

My new famous "band wagon" is professionalism within EMS. Instead of a 5 minute lecture, we should emphasize it in every chapter. I know in comparison to nursing; it is reemphasized each semester and basically every topic from O.B. to Psych. Another thing we should not have to reinvent the wheel and could learn off others.

Want to be treated & paid as a professional? Then act and be one.

R/r 911

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
What practice? The practice of wearing a uniform at an EMS conference?
Uniform. Jacket. T-shirt. Ballcap. Utility belt. Whatever.

If that's what they want to wear, then that's their business.
Sure, and it's my business if I want to laugh at them and make assumptions about their professionalism too.

I personally have no problem with it and I could only assume my associates do not either. Again, nothing was discussed among us.
As is your right.

Are you suggesting that anyone who does not have "dignity and professional pride" should be laughing at them?
No, I am suggesting that many people who do have dignity and professional pride will be laughing at them.

You strike me as someone with measurable experience and intelligence in EMS; however, some of your comments and personal conclusions in this thread as well as others, resemble in my mind someone more akin to a bigot.
Your unprovoked personal attack is duly noted and strongly resented. You had better know a lot more about me before you try to play that joker.

Aidey

Rid I think I need a bit of clarification on your points.

Are you saying that the Fire/EMS related t-shirts are unprofessional regardless of what they say on them because of the fact they are a t-shirt?

I guess what I am not understanding is how wearing a uniform like a Class B or Class A to something is unprofessional when those are both formal uniforms.

I could understand your point if you were saying that people in EMS are unprofessional because they often wear t-shirts while everyone else is wearing slacks and button up shirts. I wouldn't think someone was very professional if they were wearing holey jeans and a worn out t-shirt to a conference, but it has nothing to do with what is on the shirt, unless it's a naked woman or something inappropriate like that. It's more to do with dressing appropriately for the situation.

I think saying that everyone who wears job related t-shirts is unprofessional is a bit harsh and I think judging everyone like that is even more unprofessional in some aspects.

I occasionally wear t-shirts from a prior position I had and I promise I don't have lights, sirens, decals or anything else on my car. The only time I ever had any fire department related paraphernalia on my car was when I was a volunteer I kept my department ID in the bottom left hand corner of my windshield next to the VIN number. I did this because sometimes I was called straight to the scene if they needed a medic there now and the scene was between my house and the station. Keeping my ID there kept my car from being towed from the scene of more than one MVA.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The last confrence/convention/whatever I went to was Clincon. I went with my class and we wore school t-shirts that said "(School Name) EMS PROGRAM" across the back and slacks.

I'd much rather see people in uniforms then the t-shirts with inappropriate sayings, dirty torn jeans, and cleavage (Both breast and butt) that I witnessed while at Clincon.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL@butt cleavage! :D

Are you talking about girls with hip-huggers, or fat dudes wearing a plumbers belt with an HT, two pagers, a cellphone, a glove pouch, two scissors, three hemostats, a window punch, a seatbelt cutter, a multi-tool, and a MagLite on it?

In the near future, I expect to see tourniquets become a normal part of that list too.

medic417

The Truth Provider
LOL@butt cleavage! :D

Are you talking about girls with hip-huggers, or fat dudes wearing a plumbers belt with an HT, two pagers, a cellphone, a glove pouch, two scissors, three hemostats, a window punch, a seatbelt cutter, a multi-tool, and a MagLite on it?

Crap I was about to go to sleep but thats out after that decriptive image was put into my mind. Thanks dude.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I forgot the big fat key ring with the ubiquitous handcuff key on it, dangling from the Bat Belt, so you can hear them coming half a mile away.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Again, not to argue but how many local conventions did you attend? Sure large EMS usually does not bring out the "whackers" alike small, local ones. How many medics you know of (including myself) can afford to spend a grand or more on a three day conference, if it was not sponsored by the company?
R/r 911

I think you misunderstood my whole point about the conferences. The four conferences that I attended last year were: EMS Today, IAFC Fire-Rescue-Med, NAEMSE, and EMS Expo. All are national conferences and all had numerous people in attendance wearing uniforms. I did not witness or experience, with my numerous associates, any form of ridicule toward the folks attending in uniform.

I feel your thoughts believing that anyone who attends a conference in a uniform as a "whacker" is purely speculative and highly judgmental on your part. Even your remark about the FIRE/RESCUE t-shirts somehow equates to a four wheel drive truck with a light bar in the parking lot is one that raises my eyebrows. I do understand that these are your opinion and I respect that.

As far as the comment, "the main reason I like uniforms is I make my bucks off them", you are correct. All of my editors want and demand images of medics that look professional and the uniform does just that. Far better than the t-shirts. But, that has nothing to do with what they wear at a conference. I could care less what people wear at a conference.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Rid I think I need a bit of clarification on your points.

Are you saying that the Fire/EMS related t-shirts are unprofessional regardless of what they say on them because of the fact they are a t-shirt?

I guess what I am not understanding is how wearing a uniform like a Class B or Class A to something is unprofessional when those are both formal uniforms.

Not that I am against T-shirt uniforms. Since most F/F should be wearing bunker gear and covering that up. What I am against is the yahoo's that wear them to every eat out, visit to Wal-Mart, grocery store all because they want to be noticed.

I even seen the toddlers in the same garb. Yep, a 2 year old wearing the same t-shirt and belt buckles. No, its not cute nor does it do anything to uphold your profession.

I am not sure about all States but look at your State Troopers. Usually, one of the best examples of professionals and how to act as one. How many do you see wear.. "Trooper" on the back of their shirt? I bet you don't unless one is on duty. Most likely, you will never see them in a local tavern either. Not that they don't let loose, but they have standards to be held. Does one see your local cardiologist or better yet CCU Director wearing the same on the back of their T-shirts off duty? Doubtful you will even see any paraphernalia on their car as well.

Yes, sure each profession has their own little "pride" stuff. Usually nurses have the teddy bears, dolls, plaques with poems and all the other "nurse" stuff that many may place within limits within their office as decorations. Even those are usually considered "tacky" unless they are used within reason.

Again, look at other medical professions. (Sorry, again I hate to awaken some, but that is what we are) and see how many physicians wear... "Love a Doc" .. "I mend broken hearts".. on T-shirts or back of their autos. As a customer, what would your opinion be? I remember when physicians and attorneys could not even advertise for professional clause. Something, I wish they would go back to.

For as that goes, how many times do you see your local Doc at the grocery store or local Target or Wal-Mart? It's not that they don't go but they don't go to be noticed and from what I know rather not be. Most even go at odd hours to avoid such.

We have a long way to go before the general public will recognize us a professional. It first has to come within ourselves and the demand we place within our so called industry. Even simple things such as a clean tucked in pressed shirt, shoes that are polished, no profanity within public view, and placing the "big gulp" cup down while responding with L/S.

R/r 911

Aidey

Rid do you think there is a difference between the t-shirts and the Class A or Class B uniforms?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think you misunderstood my whole point about the conferences. The four conferences that I attended last year were: EMS Today, IAFC Fire-Rescue-Med, NAEMSE, and EMS Expo. All are national conferences and all had numerous people in attendance wearing uniforms. I did not witness or experience, with my numerous associates, any form of ridicule toward the folks attending in uniform.

I feel your thoughts believing that anyone who attends a conference in a uniform as a "whacker" is purely speculative and highly judgmental on your part. Even your remark about the FIRE/RESCUE t-shirts somehow equates to a four wheel drive truck with a light bar in the parking lot is one that raises my eyebrows. I do understand that these are your opinion and I respect that.

As far as the comment, "the main reason I like uniforms is I make my bucks off them", you are correct. All of my editors want and demand images of medics that look professional and the uniform does just that. Far better than the t-shirts. But, that has nothing to do with what they wear at a conference. I could care less what people wear at a conference.

I respect your opinion as well. I do ask why is such pics in demand for text books? Is it because of tradition or truly the demand? I have no problem for some occasional (very limited) real photos but does every chapter have to have a pic? Maybe we have too many pics and not enough material contained within.

Yes, as an educator I realize the value of learning from all senses and the use of visual aids but compare our texts with other medical text books. One can't say .. "well we perform more skills..." That statement is not true. Maybe we should remove all skill(s) within our texts and just have true theory text and then have a separate accompanying skills book.

How much emphasis is placed on skills that anyone and everyone can learn with repeated practice is really needed? Would it not make more sense to be educated upon the whys and details of the topic and leave the skills for the lab portion. Skill books could be utilized then.

Wow! Theory classes and then skills.... just alike the rest of the medical profession.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
LOL@butt cleavage!

I'm talking about anyone, male or female, wearing jeans too tight or too low, with a muffin top, plumber butt or whale tail. (Add extra gag points if they have a hairy bum and/or back.) It's it so hard to find properly fitting, clean clothes? Some people may find it sexy, I find it embarrasing.

Aidey

Another question for Rid, what do you think about the large number of FFs/EMTs who have Fire/EMS tattoos? (Visible or not)

Sasha, I'm going to regret asking this, but what is a whale tail?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Rid do you think there is a difference between the t-shirts and the Class A or Class B uniforms?

Definitely. Class A, usually is worn for special events such awards, funerals, and special presentations. They do not appear as "special" without ties and appropriate coats, etc.

I am glad to see most EMS removing themselves from the fire/police shirts as those with epaulets and badges and collar brass as a daily uniform. Nothing looks worse than an wrinkled, dirty, untucked shirt or worse short sleeved with undergarments being visible. T-shirts are practical in some areas where temperatures should be considered. Nice quality Polo style are better for working on a daily event.

Alike many others I too wish we could design a more practical uniform. That itself is a dilemma that will not be solved for a while.

The first step is to ensure that the presenter appears professional. As simple as that may appear stop and think about it. Is their hair groomed, clean shaved (yes even women ;)) and uniformed pressed? Especially after a long shift, what do they look like? Unfortunately, EMS managers are not concerned with their image they portray.

This is something we have to convey and start ourselves. Management will listen, when approached right as in proposals and repetitive attempts.

Another question for Rid, what do you think about the large number of FFs/EMTs who have Fire/EMS tattoos? (Visible or not)

Personally, I could care less. It's their body on their own time. Problem is; they are representing the company not just themselves when they are on duty. We have a NO visible tattoos policy and until recently under my pressure finally hired a person with a visible one. With the understanding they must wear long sleeves at all times.

I just wrote a policy and is of yet not approved but basically came form an article from JEMS . Tatt's cannot be displayed outside normal uniform visual . They cannot be seen and cannot be seen as "sexually motivated, racial, political" in design.
The same as piercings and jewelry.
R/r 911

Aidey

I don't know about where you work, but where I work the standard uniform shirt is still the button up with a collar, collar brass etc. We are required to wear a while t-shirt under that shirt though (if you don't have one on you can get sent home and written up). We do have polo shirts, but the company doesn't pay for them and they are expensive so not many people have them.