I whacked. Anyone else?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was a little insecure about the new gig providing first aid to an obstacle race, and I gave in and bought a fishing vest to stow stuff in to keep it off the ground. At the last hour I chickened and offloaded the stuff into a messenger bag style carrier with a carabiner to hang it up off the ground, which was good because we had water running through the tent.
ANYWAY...I tried on that vest with a load, and was distressed to find that the load presses in as well as out, and none of my rain shells fit over it except a Korean War era poncho.

I am NOT including a photo, but it's not happening.

Anyone else do something like this, despite your better judgement?

Please?:wacko:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I was a little insecure about the new gig providing first aid to an obstacle race, and I gave in and bought a fishing vest to stow stuff in to keep it off the ground. At the last hour I chickened and offloaded the stuff into a messenger bag style carrier with a carabiner to hang it up off the ground, which was good because we had water running through the tent.
ANYWAY...I tried on that vest with a load, and was distressed to find that the load presses in as well as out, and none of my rain shells fit over it except a Korean War era poncho.

I am NOT including a photo, but it's not happening.

Anyone else do something like this, despite your better judgement?

Please?:wacko:
Yep...

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I may have created a little mini jump/trauma bag when I was in my second week of basic school :unsure: I don't know what happened I just blacked out and the next thing I knew I was searching online for gizmos and trauma dressings. Then just before I went to order a c collar I came across this web site and believe it or not the very first thread I stumbled across was a "what should I put in my jump bag" thread. So after reading the replies I took the jump bag out into a field, wiped my prints off of it and buried it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I still carry a jump kit in my truck. I do a lot of work on microwave radio towers in the middle of nowhere, and we use it as our first aid kit.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One of the EM attendings rocks a fanny pack with a holster that has so many hemostats and scissors that would make a true born wacker blush.

bigbaldguy

One of the EM attendings rocks a fanny pack with a holster that has so many hemostats and scissors that would make a true born wacker blush.

So what is the purpose of carrying a non sterile hemostat? I mean outside of the state of Colorado and Washington.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So what is the purpose of carrying a non sterile hemostat? I mean outside of the state of Colorado and Washington.

Tube clamp, nose picker, pick up items that fall behind stuff...

bigbaldguy

Tube clamp, nose picker, pick up items that fall behind stuff...

No I said hemostat not firefighter.

Oh snap!

Sorry FFs you know I love you but I just couldn't pass that one up.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No I said hemostat not firefighter.

Oh snap!

Sorry FFs you know I love you but I just couldn't pass that one up.

If you can carry FFs on your belt, you're more of a man than me.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be fair, I'm not sure what all he has, but considering there's at least a half a dozen handles poking out of the holster, I imagine that there's a hemostat in at least one of them. Besides, in an emergency does it matter if it's sterile?

Also, I do carry a tube clamp in my coat. It let's me turn the hallway bumpers in hospitals into an instant coat rack. After all, you can always pick out the inexperienced medical student during a code. They're the ones trying to do compressions in a white coat.

bigbaldguy

To be fair, I'm not sure what all he has, but considering there's at least a half a dozen handles poking out of the holster, I imagine that there's a hemostat in at least one of them. Besides, in an emergency does it matter if it's sterile?

Also, I do carry a tube clamp in my coat. It let's me turn the hallway bumpers in hospitals into an instant coat rack. After all, you can always pick out the inexperienced medical student during a code. They're the ones trying to do compressions in a white coat.

Fair enough but outside of non medical uses and hose clamp usage is there a purpose for carrying a hemostat in a non OR setting? I'm not being facisious I really am curious.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
My volly department purchased me the voodoo tactical version of the Blackhawk STOMP II medical pack.

Its been in my garage for months now. I just checked it yesterday figuring at least one med had to be expired.

It contains

2 liters 0.9 NaCl
1 adult bvm
ETCO2 detecter
Fully stocked intubation kit
Fully stocked ACLS med kit
Various syringes/needles/angiocaths.
Bunch of meds. (Everything but narcotics)
A few of each type of bandage with an abundance of 4x4s.
glucometer
various tape rolls
gloves
BP cuff
Sharps container
biohazard bags
Burn gel
QuickClot
Mini O2 tank
Nebulizer/NC/NRB
penlight
flashlight
shears
glucose paste
BANDAIDS!

Thats all.

I take it on the off chance I have a free day to take the flycar home. Otherwise it never leaves my home. At least when the zombies attack, I'll be ready. Then again if my medical director is attacked, I can't use any of it :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Besides, in an emergency does it matter if it's sterile?

Just baptize in betadine...

I finally broke down and started rocking the batclip

71JDV9AJ19L._SL1024_.jpg

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Fair enough but outside of non medical uses and hose clamp usage is there a purpose for carrying a hemostat in a non OR setting? I'm not being facisious I really am curious.

I usually have a hemostat one me for clamping tubing/foleys and to hold my tape (put a roll of tape through then clip to your pants). I have also used them like pliers to get off tight IV caps, hanging IV bags (Temporarily), taking off bandages, and organizing IV tubing.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I usually have a hemostat one me for clamping tubing/foleys and to hold my tape (put a roll of tape through then clip to your pants). I have also used them like pliers to get off tight IV caps, hanging IV bags (Temporarily), taking off bandages, and organizing IV tubing.

+1 on the bag hanging. Hanging fluids during extended extrications on headliners and visors.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Only whackerish thing I've done of late(and that I remember) is i started carrying a Black Diamond Storm headlamp in a cargo pocket.

I work nights and holy crap it's been so handy to throw it on my head for MVCs, dark houses etc. throws plenty of light and frees my hands up.

Got some funny looks though.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
My volly department purchased me the voodoo tactical version of the Blackhawk STOMP II medical pack.

Its been in my garage for months now. I just checked it yesterday figuring at least one med had to be expired.

It contains

2 liters 0.9 NaCl
1 adult bvm
ETCO2 detecter
Fully stocked intubation kit
Fully stocked ACLS med kit
Various syringes/needles/angiocaths.
Bunch of meds. (Everything but narcotics)
A few of each type of bandage with an abundance of 4x4s.
glucometer
various tape rolls
gloves
BP cuff
Sharps container
biohazard bags
Burn gel
QuickClot
Mini O2 tank
Nebulizer/NC/NRB
penlight
flashlight
shears
glucose paste
BANDAIDS!

Thats all.

I take it on the off chance I have a free day to take the flycar home. Otherwise it never leaves my home. At least when the zombies attack, I'll be ready. Then again if my medical director is attacked, I can't use any of it :sad:

How does the voodoo compare to an actually Blackhawk stomp?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Those little steth bat clips do come in handy, but I have found that they seem to work better if they're clipped to an actual belt instead of the waistband. Hemostats? Great little tools... I've used them for pretty much anything that needs to be clamped. I've even used one to retrieve an automotive gasket that fell between an engine and firewall. I just had to be very careful about not fully closing the clamp. Sometimes I'll put a roll of tape on one and clamp it to my shirt or pants. Keeps that tape roll right where I can get to it.

I still have a first aid kit or two around the house. They do come in handy from time to time. At one time I had a pretty fully equipped kit... but I only took that one with me when I was at work.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm using a 300 dollar first in bag to hold my ski stuff. It says medpac on a few sides and is adorned with reflective tape. Oh well it works great. It also is stocked with first aid stuff since they happened to be lying around and now but they may actually get some use.

On nights I put shears through my belt. Sue me.