I need uniform help! STAT!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ok. So I was pretty dumb and washed BOTH my white uniform shirts with a new fluffy blue towel. Now my white shirts are blue tinged!! I need help! How do I get it back to white?! I can't go tinged blue! anyone have any expertise on how to save my uniform shirts??

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Rewash with high doses of bleach.

If that does not work, go to the uniform shop.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Ok. So I was pretty dumb and washed BOTH my white uniform shirts with a new fluffy blue towel. Now my white shirts are blue tinged!! I need help! How do I get it back to white?! I can't go tinged blue! anyone have any expertise on how to save my uniform shirts??

Sounds like you're SOL and the color has already set in. Depending on what type of material your shirt is and if you have any patches, you could try bleach...

Sorry :sad:

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly as was stated, Rewash with high concentrations of Bleach....BUT cut off your patches first. The Bleach will ruin them if you leave them on, then take the shirt and patches to your local Drycleaners and have the Patches sewn back on.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I kind of have to have the shirts ready for when I leave for work in two hours... I dont think I have time to do all that!

Note to Self: Never leave uniform washing to the last minute again.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Then wear the blue tinged shirt, explain what happened.

Surely your employer has spares??? You are not required to buy your own are you?

Or are these shirts the student wears? If so, go buy some more....

Code 3

Forum Captain
I kind of have to have the shirts ready for when I leave for work in two hours... I dont think I have time to do all that!

Note to Self: Never leave uniform washing to the last minute again.

Regular wash/rinse cycle is usually 30-35 minutes and cotton/polyester shirts should be fully dry in 20-30 minutes on high heat. If you want to play it safe, start washing one right now and leave the other on "standby" just in case it doesn't finish in time.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Wear the tinged ones. If anyone asks, say "It's the winter issue. Have you not gotten yours yet"

It:
A) Buys you time
B) Angers control a bit with everyone asking for the new ones

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Then wear the blue tinged shirt, explain what happened.

Surely your employer has spares??? You are not required to buy your own are you?

Or are these shirts the student wears? If so, go buy some more....

My employer has spares, from size medium to XXL, but I wear an XS, so the medium would be waaay too big.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wear the tinged ones. If anyone asks, say "It's the winter issue. Have you not gotten yours yet"

It:
A) Buys you time
B) Angers control a bit with everyone asking for the new ones

Genius Igor!!

imurphy

Forum Captain
Years of screwing with my control over similar issues Sash! From the shirts issues to the "I want a new jacket" struggle!

Me: I need the new jacket.
SO: Yours is fine you dont need one.
Me: Ok. I don't need it, but I want it!
SO: No. It's fine.

*Walks around corner, takes out knife, riiiiip*
Me: My jacket's ripped.... I need a new one.
SO: WHAT! Oh come on then!

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Years of screwing with my control over similar issues Sash! From the shirts issues to the "I want a new jacket" struggle!

Me: I need the new jacket.
SO: Yours is fine you dont need one.
Me: Ok. I don't need it, but I want it!
SO: No. It's fine.

*Walks around corner, takes out knife, riiiiip*
Me: My jacket's ripped.... I need a new one.
SO: WHAT! Oh come on then!

You, Igor, are my new hero!! That is awesome! I choked on my coke!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Work on the Smurf crew

Tell your Supv that you are honoring hypoxic and cyanotic patients

That you had the "blues"...

I know the feeling.. I have a few blue shirts, a shirt that I had left an ink pen in and now looks like a Dalmatian uniform.

Good luck.
R/r 911

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
I know the feeling.. I have a few blue shirts, a shirt that I had left an ink pen in and now looks like a Dalmatian uniform.

R/r 911

I use to ruin a shirt a month to forgotten ink pens lol. One service I work for uses grey polos, if we need a last minute shirt due to a laundry error (or simply bloodied our last back up shirt) we are allowed to use a store-bought one while we get replacements (color has to be as close as possible to match the issued ones)

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Oxyclean works well with a cap full of bleach, not sure if it would take the color out!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This happened at my service all the time. We used to call the crews that came in with bleached patches our "Ninja unit".

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you find the tint before you dry the shirt you can sometimes re-wash it by itself and get the tint out. Drying sets the dye. But pulling it out and soaking it in either mild bleach, chlorine free bleach or some other pre-treat should at least fade out the blue.

The reason it bled into your white shirt is because the dye isn't really set into the pants. You can wash new pants in cold water with a cup full of salt before you wear them the first time to set the dye and prevent them from fading/bleeding.

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
If you find the tint before you dry the shirt you can sometimes re-wash it by itself and get the tint out. Drying sets the dye. But pulling it out and soaking it in either mild bleach, chlorine free bleach or some other pre-treat should at least fade out the blue.

The reason it bled into your white shirt is because the dye isn't really set into the pants. You can wash new pants in cold water with a cup full of salt before you wear them the first time to set the dye and prevent them from fading/bleeding.

Only a mom would give you the technical answer. As for the shirt wear a job shirt or issued jacket all day in the field.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Only a mom would give you the technical answer.

My kids are grown and moved out. I have two empty bedrooms and I'm currently accepting applications for replacement children. Extra points for anyone not coming from the same smart :censored: gene pool as the last set!