italk

italk

Forum Crew Member
Should I do nothing just wait for ALS and than meet up

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What are you talking about?

You should never delay transport in a critical patient. It all depends on transport time and ETA of the ALS unit.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What are you talking about?

You should never delay transport in a critical patient. It all depends on transport time and ETA of the ALS unit.

"Never" and "always" are dirty words. In most cases, don't delay transport unless something system specific is in play. It could easily be argued that patients who may be triage to a specialty center based on paramedics (e.g. ruling out hypoglycemia in a potential CVA, diagnosing a STEMI, etc) should sit tight pending paramedics, especially when the specialty center and closest hospital are in opposite directions. It's better to delay transport a few minutes than deal with the time delay for setting up, and then transporting, a patient to a specialty center.

Also, I'd also argue if I was working today that paramedic ETA vs hospital ETA would be more beneficial if it was something along the lines of hospital ETA vs Paramedic ETA + 5 minutes. Even with conditions that can be stabilized by paramedics, there are going to be a few minutes between rendezvous (paramedic ETA) and initiation of treatment, be it moving gear to the patient or assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Medications that can cause drug-induced hypoglycemia include:

Bactrim (an antibiotic)
Beta-blockers
Haloperidol
Insulin
MAO inhibitors
Metformin when used with sulfonylureas
Pentamidine
Quinidine
Quinine
Sulfonylureas

The site also lists that alcohol can induce hypoglycemia. Because of the sugar content of alcohol I would assume it would be more likely to cause hyperglycemia. Unless it somehow prevented the cells from absorbing the glucose properly or it stimulated urination so that it would expel the glucose?

http://www.drugs.com/enc/drug-induced-hypoglycemia.html

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
It was my answer to a question asked earlier in the thread.

JPINFV

Gadfly
All of this input is fantastic, but keep in mind the OP is aiming for his EMT-B. No need to overcomplicate it.

Memorizing which specific medications, including how to identify medications (e.g. beta blockers are -lol medications, like metoprolol) would be over-complicating entry level EMT-B. Understanding that insulin isn't the only medication capable of causing hypoglycemia, however, is definitely important.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
including how to identify medications (e.g. beta blockers are -lol medications, like metoprolol) .

Why? it's not overly complicated and can tell you a lot about a patient's condition. Most just know take the blue and purple one with breakfast, the pink one with lunch and the red one at bed time.

I'm not saying all of them just the common ones. olols, prils, sartans, pam/lam.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I'll remember that "lol" is not funny when dealing with hypoglycemia... :rofl:
Gosh I need to go to bed.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm going to have to side with Anjel on this one. Take some time off to go to school and mature a bit, kid. You are obviously not ready to work independently as an EMT. If you're having this much trouble with the medical emergencies that the school drills into your head, it scares me to think what you'll do in the field when things aren't so black and white.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lets see it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
OP
OP
italk

italk

Forum Crew Member
It's coming good but, my only problem is that I could not find a human so the only thing I could find was the dog.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's coming good but, my only problem is that I could not find a human so the only thing I could find was the dog.

Is he answering all your questions appropriately? If it's uncooperative, get a BGL.