I keep breaking my watches

cd5k5

Forum Ride Along
I don't know if I am too rough or what the problem is but I keep breaking watch bands or the whole watch. :( My latest casualty was a Casio MRW. I like that it has big numbers and hands so its easy to read, but I have broken the band twice in the last year and a half, each time in a different place. Anyone have a good recommendation for a tough watch or a place to get a band that can hold up? All the local places around me only have fancy stuff.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
G-shock watches. Fairly expensive but really tough.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know if I am too rough or what the problem is but I keep breaking watch bands or the whole watch. :( My latest casualty was a Casio MRW. I like that it has big numbers and hands so its easy to read, but I have broken the band twice in the last year and a half, each time in a different place. Anyone have a good recommendation for a tough watch or a place to get a band that can hold up? All the local places around me only have fancy stuff.

I've had the same g shock for a few years now. Good choice, you can get one for less than $100, might seem s little expensive but they last. Maybe try a different material for the band, if you're using links try the rubber/plastic ones.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The rubber ones break for me. Leather gets scrungy. Nylon is more washable but still gets nasty.
A metal mesh one stood up well for me for quite a few years, sturdy, cleaned like the stainless steel it was, dried fast with alcohol. It also lay very close to the skin, so things didn't hook onto it.
One source and a photo:

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-h829-Mesh-Watch-Bands.html
Mesh-Watch-Bands-Cat.jpg

Watchbands are like rings in that they can snag or cause a short circuit. Be mindful.

PS: I kid you not, I corrode watches and watch bands. Actually pit the case on the watches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The rubber ones break for me. Leather gets scrungy. Nylon is more washable but still gets nasty.
A metal mesh one stood up well for me for quite a few years, sturdy, cleaned like the stainless steel it was, dried fast with alcohol. It also lay very close to the skin, so things didn't hook onto it.
One source and a photo:

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-h829-Mesh-Watch-Bands.html
Mesh-Watch-Bands-Cat.jpg

Watchbands are like rings in that they can snag or cause a short circuit. Be mindful.

PS: I kid you not, I corrode watches and watch bands. Actually pit the case on the watches.
I always knew you had a bit of an acidic personality... ;)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
12 Walmart watches should last you a year

At 8 bucks a pop.. You do the math.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I usually wear watches with nylon straps with elastic through the pins that the watch normally attaches to. That way I can feel the snag and can stop before I shear the watch off. Otherwise, I wear relatively inexpensive watches. My upper limit is usually around $30. Lately I've been a fan of the Timex Ironman series...

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

I have broken 3 watch bands doing CPR, and whenever I get it fixed I break it again doing compressions. A comfortable fitting watch slips down for me when I compress...so now I have it hooked to my EMS pants almost like a pocket watch. No more broken watch bands!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
My watches last longer since I started wearing them face down -- i.e. the crystal anterior. That way, it's also easier to look at your watch without people knowing you're looking at your watch.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
walmart watches are the best. My casio broke a week after getting it, but my crappy walmart watch is still going strong, 3 years now.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
My watches last longer since I started wearing them face down -- i.e. the crystal anterior. That way, it's also easier to look at your watch without people knowing you're looking at your watch.
I have a question...
What does it matter if someone knows you're looking at your watch?
Edit: As for the actual question, I wear a PNDLM with a square face, don't know the model name. Was like $15 and I've had it 2 years. Only problem is it's a little difficult to see at night. If I need the second hand at night, I'm screwed.

Last edited by a moderator:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a question...
What does it matter if someone knows you're looking at your watch?
Edit: As for the actual question, I wear a PNDLM with a square face, don't know the model name. Was like $15 and I've had it 2 years. Only problem is it's a little difficult to see at night. If I need the second hand at night, I'm screwed.

Maybe it doesn't matter anymore. It used to. If I were your patient, and I was trying to explain my complaint, and I saw you check you watch while I was talking, I'd probably think I was boring you, or you had someplace else to be. It certainly wouldn't give me a good feeling.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

what he said.. but splurge, and go for the $10 ones, they tend to have bigger numbers.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

$12x8=$96 per year. 2 years = $192. 3 years = $288. Given most G-shocks last several years for $50-$200, it seems worth it to get something that will last.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm probably going to catch some flack for this. I don't always wear a watch at work but over the last 6 months I've started wearing my Tag Heuer F1 Edition that I got as a graduation present way back in the day. It's all stainless steel so it cleans like a dream although it takes a bit of time to get all the crevices if it really gets slimed.

If we're going on something like a MVA with extrication or a bad trauma I take it off and put it in my right chest pocket on my shirt. That way it's protected. If something hits it hard enough to damage it there I have bigger problems. I wear it during arrests to get times for my meds, I don't really do CPR because the FD is doing it ;) with that said I've got no issue jumping in and doing it, carrying gear, getting my boots dirty, so on and so forth. If I didn't take I off on the way to the scene and I find out it might be a rough one I'll take it off on scene, takes like 5 seconds.