I.C.E. - In Case of Emegency

Webster

Forum Crew Member
EMT815,
While I haven't specifically heard of this, it sounds like a great idea.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Its been around for 3 years or so now....

This has been discussed in many threads on other sites. I searched on this one and could not find any, but I had thought we did at one point.

Anyways, at no point in my long career have I ever needed an emergency contact to assist me in my job. Their contact is irrelevant. If they are unconscious, I have more serious issues to deal with, rather than scrolling through their phone list.

It may have benefit to the hospital staff later on after they have received their patient and done what they needed to do provided there was no other form of ID or contact info available.

Many factors to consider: Is it their phone? Have they kept it updated? etc, etc

Here is a good report on it with more details of the pros and cons...

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhhh, I did not put the dots when searching.

I did ICE, I C E and a few other variations, but no dots...lol.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, many new cell phones have a "In Case of Emergency" listed as the first person in the contacts section. Not a bad idea...but I bet most don't get filled out. Mine isn't... :p

FF2EMT

Forum Probie
Here in Western MD we have been trying to get this imformation out to cell users which is everyone anymore for the last couple years however not to great of a responce from the public.... Great idea though..

FF2EMT-B EMS captain

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
I like this idea and have heard about it on the radio stations here. I dont know how much we would use it around her, maybe for our intoxicated people we pick up!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
pointless IMHO. at least as far as my patients are concerned, since i have never and will more than likely never make use of it. i dont have the time to be calling relatives and informin g them of an incident. besides, when most people first hear someone the care for is in critical shape, they usually fall apart. getting information out of them is like gett blood from a stone. i'll let the hospital deal with that

certguy

Forum Captain
Guys , you're reading too much into the ICE program . How can it be a HIPPA violation if the pt. can't communicate and has predesignated this person as the one to call in an emergency ? This can save lives as we can get SAMPLE hx just the same as if that person were standing there and this info can aid in treatment , which I think is probably the intent of the program to begin with . My wife and I have both put ICE numbers in our phones for each other and our son .

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Guys , you're reading too much into the ICE program . How can it be a HIPPA violation if the pt. can't communicate and has predesignated this person as the one to call in an emergency ? This can save lives as we can get SAMPLE hx just the same as if that person were standing there and this info can aid in treatment , which I think is probably the intent of the program to begin with . My wife and I have both put ICE numbers in our phones for each other and our son .

Geez I guess we should do a HIPAA course on line here. I agree it is NOT HIPAA violation, your not telling anyone medical information.

Personally, I do not get into a person's wallet or purse. As well, I really do not think it is going to ever really save a persons life, even at the hospital I would never ever look as well. Better have it written down next to personal information.

Now, if one really wants to get information tape contact information on the back of the drivers license. This is what is most pulled for information. Personally, most health care workers avoid the cell phone even if it rings.

Nice idea but truthfully, that is about as far as it will go. An idea.

R/r 911

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
The ICE concept aslo came to our shores with a big bang, but appears as if it has died down a bit... Although looking for details has its place, it is not first in line. I will search for details (Including ICE), should it bear effect on the destination hospital.

The majority of pantient cell phones directories do not have ICE contacts. What we do then is to scroll through the contacts for contact names such as "Mom, Dad, Brother, etc.,). Should that turn up negative, we aslo check the last dailed number, or the one most frequently dailed.

Some of the post refer to a possible legal obstruction. We have a different governng system to yours, but runs along the same lines (I would think). Keep in mind the reasonable man act which may answer some questions. It is also advisable that should you need to search someone's personal belonings, you do so with a witness or in plain view of the Police. Document your findings...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Just in case anyone is confused... I've merged the 2 threads on I.C.E. and it is in the EMS Talk section of the site - this way everyone can talk about the same thing!
Jon

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Actually, many new cell phones have a "In Case of Emergency" listed as the first person in the contacts section. Not a bad idea...but I bet most don't get filled out. Mine isn't... :p

Yeah, I just got a new phone for Christmas and the very listing under contacts is ICE. When you click on it up pops 3 people who know me the best.

While I agree that most EMS agencies aren't going to take the time to look through a phone to call someone to get pt. info, it is a great tool for either the hospital to get a hold of someone for me or for the police to have some ID the body. :p

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I was actually under the impression that ICE was more for LEOs to know who to contact should you be too out of it to tell them after some sort of accident.

And, yes, my latest cell phone as the ICE listing, it, and all the names associated as ice, show up as red, all the other contacts are white.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
We've got an Arrive Alive Campaign that promoted the ICE concept some time ago. Suddenly everyone talked about it and almost every community newspaper reported about it.

Personally I have never come across any patient of mine with the ICE listed in their cellphones. Would be nice though as it was registered in their cellphones and under notes (in the contact) include the medical insurance details etc.