I.C.E. - In Case of Emegency

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 23 2005, 09:07 PM
I am still fond of the Vial of Life.

I'd make my message say "I'm Diabetic - If I'm unconscious, don't call my go***mn wife, call a f***in ambulance".

(laugh)
Problem is....Who check that vial before calling 911? Usually I'm the one fishing in the fridge for it to get a list of meds and a history on said unconsciousss person.

I saw a sign hanging on a door of an appartment yesterday. It said "In case of fire turn sign over" and on the other side it said "PUT OUT THE FIRE FIRST!"

Somehow I was reminded of that by what you said.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Phridae+Jul 29 2005, 11:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Phridae @ Jul 29 2005, 11:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jul 23 2005, 09:07 PM

I'd make my message say "I'm Diabetic - If I'm unconscious, don't call my go***mn wife, call a f***in ambulance".

(laugh)
Problem is....Who check that vial before calling 911? Usually I'm the one fishing in the fridge for it to get a list of meds and a history on said unconsciousss person.

I saw a sign hanging on a door of an appartment yesterday. It said "In case of fire turn sign over" and on the other side it said "PUT OUT THE FIRE FIRST!"

Somehow I was reminded of that by what you said. [/b][/quote]
I have a wooden sign like that, it says "In case of fire, lift this flap"

Then on the inside it says "Not now you idiot, IN CASE OF FIRE"

The point of the Vial of Life is to be found by Emergency Personnel. You don't get called to a person unconscious, get on scene and call 911 do you? The point of ICE was something for emergency personnel to call. You'd get more info quickly from a Vial of Life than calling some guys wife and having her get all upset that the police or ambulance was calling her.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jul 30 2005, 12:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jul 30 2005, 12:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Phridae@Jul 29 2005, 11:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Jul 23 2005, 09:07 PM

(laugh)

Somehow I was reminded of that by what you said.
I have a wooden sign like that, it says "In case of fire, lift this flap"

Then on the inside it says "Not now you idiot, IN CASE OF FIRE"

The point of the Vial of Life is to be found by Emergency Personnel. You don't get called to a person unconscious, get on scene and call 911 do you? The point of ICE was something for emergency personnel to call. You'd get more info quickly from a Vial of Life than calling some guys wife and having her get all upset that the police or ambulance was calling her. [/b][/quote]
Yeah... but EMS isn't really the main benificiary of I.C.E. - the ED clerk/registrar/Social worker/Dr. is the one who has an easier time b/c they don't have to decide who to call to say "John Doe #3" looks like swiss cheese in my trauma bay thanks to a drive-by...

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The Vial of Life and ICE serve two different purposes.

VoL would be used at home, where if EMS/Fire personnel were attending to someone there they could look for the tube.

ICE is mainly for situations away from home, like car accidents, sudden illnesses, subway bombings, etc. There you are not going to have the vial, but you could grab their cell, look for ICE, call the contact and get the information you need.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jul 30 2005, 05:44 AM
The Vial of Life and ICE serve two different purposes.

VoL would be used at home, where if EMS/Fire personnel were attending to someone there they could look for the tube.

ICE is mainly for situations away from home, like car accidents, sudden illnesses, subway bombings, etc. There you are not going to have the vial, but you could grab their cell, look for ICE, call the contact and get the information you need.
The idea of ICE was on the local news, in my email, and in the mail from local EMS regions...

Yet in the mountains of PA, Cell Phones do not work.. So it really isn't of any purpose to me. My cell phone doesn't work until I'm south of Nittany Valley (State College). I may fall victim to sudden illness, but subway bombings? I have never even rode on a subway in PA. What I learned in Pitt was that mines filled with water, and the subway was always flooded. So you'd have a better chance at drowning than getting blown up.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 30 2005, 08:32 AM
The idea of ICE was on the local news, in my email, and in the mail from local EMS regions...

Yet in the mountains of PA, Cell Phones do not work.. So it really isn't of any purpose to me. My cell phone doesn't work until I'm south of Nittany Valley (State College). I may fall victim to sudden illness, but subway bombings? I have never even rode on a subway in PA. What I learned in Pitt was that mines filled with water, and the subway was always flooded. So you'd have a better chance at drowning than getting blown up.
Alright, TTLWHKR is obviously not a supporter of ICE.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Chimpie+Jul 30 2005, 09:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Jul 30 2005, 09:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jul 30 2005, 08:32 AM

Alright, TTLWHKR is obviously not a supporter of ICE. [/b][/quote]
I didn't say that I did not support it, I'm just thinking that we can do better.

Maybe a device that you can push the button, and have it play a recorded message from the patient about their illness, history and contact info. Less likely of upsetting the patients family, and more chance at getting correct info.

EMTI&RESCUE

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a great idea. The "ice cube" ummmm,,well let me stop laughing at that idea before I commit....jk jon,,,,I thought that was a novel idea to promote.

EMTI&RESCUE

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 23 2005, 09:07 PM

(laugh)
Ha ha ha ha,,good one TTWHKR,,,lmao,,,,

bloorozez

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jul 30 2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe a device that you can push the button, and have it play a recorded message from the patient about their illness, history and contact info. Less likely of upsetting the patients family, and more chance at getting correct info.
that would be a dream come true.

bloorozez

Forum Ride Along
on a side note, are we even allowed to be going through the pt's belongings? Wouldn't it go against good ol' HIPAA and invasion of privacy and unless the state releases us from the responsibility Would it be somewhat implied for emergency personnel to go through a phone for a specific ICE contact? Isn't it similar to getting some information from say a drivers license? Should it be given to PD to get the contact?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
PD should be doing this. It's not a HIPPA violation, and "invasion of privacy" is questionable.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by bloorozez@Aug 4 2005, 04:43 PM
on a side note, are we even allowed to be going through the pt's belongings? Wouldn't it go against good ol' HIPAA and invasion of privacy and unless the state releases us from the responsibility Would it be somewhat implied for emergency personnel to go through a phone for a specific ICE contact? Isn't it similar to getting some information from say a drivers license? Should it be given to PD to get the contact?
I don't see why, we're authorized to go through a person's belongings to find any clue as to what's wrong with them. Going through their cell directory is less of a violation than going through thier medicine cabinet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As I say... this is more of an ED thing... usually done by the "social worker" assigned to the ED in big ED's. As far as I'm concerned... I'll make a patient a John/Jane Doe if I do not know their info.... I don't really care... I'm vollie anyway... not like i'm getting paid if we collect! :rolleyes:

As far as HIPPA - HIPPA DOESN'T AFFECT WHAT WE MUST DO TO PROVIDE CARE TO THE PATIENT AND MUST TELL OTHERS TO PROVIDE THE BEST POSSIBLE CARE FOR THE PATIENT. HIPPA only says we need to respect their privacy and make all efforts not to breech confidentiality, and only share info when appropriate for listed reasons...

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
****NEW STUFF****

Two articles on Firehouse.com today provide intresting discussion.

Paramedics Turn To 'ICE' For Vital Information
Many Programming Emergency Contacts Into Cell Phones

POSTED: 9:44 a.m. EDT August 5, 2005
UPDATED: 9:44 a.m. EDT August 5, 2005

Story by nbc6.net

CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. -- A new idea called "ICE" is sweeping the globe. It's meant to save lives and it takes advantage of the cell phone you carry everywhere.

For South Floridians and paramedics who serve them, the word is spreading fast.

"We do like the idea. We just got it as a junk e-mail group that kind of got started in the city," said Mike Moser, of the Coral Springs Fire Department.

To use ICE, which means "in case of emergency," just program those three letters into your cell phone's contact list and put the name and phone number of a relative or close friend who knows your medical history and can be reached if you're hurt and can't communicate.
Rest HERE: Clicky - #1

Safety Officials Debate Roaring ICE Campaign

Updated: 08-04-2005 03:24:50 PM

HEATHER CASPI
Firehouse.Com News

Public safety agencies across the country are talking about an international campaign to enter emergency contact information into cell phones under the listing ICE, for "In Case of Emergency." While many agencies support it, others warn of the concept's limitations and potential drawbacks.

The idea was developed by the East Anglian Ambulance Trust in the England, where it surged in popularity after the recent London bombings and gained international recognition.

In a press release this week, the Los Angeles Fire Department reported that since mid July, the department has received thousands of e-mail inquiries about ICE.

Proponents say the contact information could give rescue and medical workers fast access to valuable patient information such as allergies and medications, or help them get faster consent for certain procedures.

The LAFD's advice, however, is to add ICE to your cell phone only after you've affixed similar information to (or near) an official photo identification in your wallet.

One of the organizations promoting the ICE concept is the Emergency Medical Services Authority of Oklahoma, in conjunction with the 9-1-1 Association of Central Oklahoma Governments.

Rest HERE: Clcky - #2

vtemti

Forum Captain
HIPAA and ICE.

Updated August 8, 2005

ICE: Everybody Chill!

The debate over the use of the “ICE” designation is raging in EMS circles.

What are the privacy implications of ICE?

Read On: Clicky Again

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OOPS.... I duped my own post.....

Anyway.... another view on the whole "ICE" thing.....

Also, it is intresting that the credit is going to:

A - Some unknown Conneticut fire chief
B - London Cell Phone Co.
C - London Paramedic

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Mississippi: In Case of Emergency, Don't Count on ICE to Help

Updated: 08-12-2005 10:06:58 AM
E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

ROBIN FITZGERALD
Biloxi Sun Herald via Associated Press

ICE stands for "in case of emergency," and e-mails circulating worldwide advise that paramedics will check cell phones to determine whom to call. Several Sun Herald readers have called Sound Off about it.

With the exception of a bit of misleading information, the idea is a good one, officials say, although this British-based concept has not been endorsed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The chief concern is that cell phone users avoid providing identity thieves with too much personal information.

Officials say the safest way to ICE is to use generic listings: ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3, instead of identifying close relatives by name. They also advise it's still wise to have emergency contact numbers in your wallet.

The idea for ICE came from a British paramedic. A cell phone company in the United Kingdom launched a public safety campaign in support of ICE after the July 7 bombing of London subways.

Privacy laws and public safety procedures differ from country to country.

In South Mississippi, paramedics dealing with a person who is unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate aren't likely to search for next of kin.

"Our paramedics are focused on immediate patient treatment and seldom have time to check for emergency contacts in the patient's cell phone," said Kelly Lanier Jakubik of American Medical Response.

"Further, if the incident may have involved a crime, paramedics must not damage the trail of evidence, and there could be evidence in or on the phone. Another consideration is protecting the patient's confidentiality. There are federal laws that strictly limit paramedics sharing information."

The job of trying to find an emergency contact often falls on hospital nurses or, in some cases, the coroner.

Rest Here - Clicky

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for HCA Healthcare. This morning on our internet home page this is what we have...

Emergency Contacts…Put Them on ICE!

Imagine this frightening scenario: Someone in your family is involved in a bad automobile accident. They survived but are badly hurt and need immediate care. A policeman on the scene scrolls through their cell phone directory, hoping to find out who to call so he can let them know what's happened. Of course, with so many numbers in the directory the task is nearly impossible. The result is that the policeman wastes a lot of precious time. They should have known about ICE.

Find out what ICE is and how it could save someone's life!

IT INCLUDED A LINK TO FIND OUT MORE...

EMT815

Forum Probie
I was reading something about a program that some communities are trying to start. Basically they are asking people to create a contact in their cell phone called ICE (In Case of Emergency) and listing emergency contacts there so that responders can get information on them if they are not conscious. It seems like a good idea to me.
Has any one heard of this? What do you think?