Hybrid AEMT Programs

Jalbritt

Forum Ride Along
I'm currently an EMT-B, and I'm considering taking a Hybrid AEMT course through Lenoir Community College in NC. There are 3 weekend-long campus visits for skills, and otherwise all didactic material is online and of course there are clinical hours. Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences on LCC or hybrid classes in general? I'm a little concerned about learning IV/IO skills in this format.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You can learn how to place an IV and an IO in a couple of hours. Practicing those skills however…

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
A word of caution:
Some states will not accept programs for reciprocity if they are less than some portion in-person (e.g. NYS: "Current NREMT certification must be based on a non-NYS EMS educational program and must have been less than 50% online didactic education.")

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently an EMT-B, and I'm considering taking a Hybrid AEMT course through Lenoir Community College in NC. There are 3 weekend-long campus visits for skills, and otherwise all didactic material is online and of course there are clinical hours. Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences on LCC or hybrid classes in general? I'm a little concerned about learning IV/IO skills in this format.

A well formatted hybrid course is just as good as a traditional class, if not better than some. You're not going to become proficient at IV/IO skills in any classroom setting, that is what clinical rotations are for.

I'm not familiar with Lenoir Community College, but I did my Paramedic through a similar hybrid program and had absolutely no problems.

JohnV

Forum Ride Along

Program badly organized. Lot of busy work. Its designed to weed people out as much as possible. They get to keep all the money, though.

The tests are done by 3rd party. Those test questions dont come from your course materials. Many questions arent even on the same topic. Plan to write lots of term papers with citations too. Its part of their weeding you out.

3rd party test has answers that contradict course material, but in my case the instructor just rubber stamped the 3rd party. And that happened many times.

I showed the answer to a paramedic who told me the answer the 3rd party claimed was bogus. I then showed it to a nurse and an NP, a former field medic. Both told me bogus. I found a book that contradicted it. My thinking is that who ever inputted the tests and answers made mistakes. Sad part is the instructor went along with the bogus answers.

There are no travel day allowance for those weekends. If you have 4 chapters, an essay, and major exam with a weekend, dont expect a break. And the course materials are paced so you cannot get ahead. More part of them weeding you out.

Also you cannot take final unless you have average above a cut they set. Its was 85%. Dont know now.

They started with 50 ppl. By the final, it was maybe 10-20. Course, if you drop or dont get take final, they still keep 100% tuition. Thats why price is so affordable.

50*6000 = 300000. But say 20 ppl cross the finish line. So its *really* them charging 15000. Thats a scam imho.

If you can find another program it would be better.

Last edited: