Hurricane Wilma - Gone

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
It was supposed to be partly cloudy, windy, in the low 50's, with scattered showers today, according to yesterday's newscast...

Well, I think someone should put a contract out on the weather man, that SOB better be coming to plow the nine inches of partly cloudy out of my driveway!

Leaves still on the trees, all of my maple trees have the branches broken off, three of the apple trees were felled by a huge hemlock that came crashing down after our all-night ice storm.

But... knock on wood... Power has yet to fail.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
WHKR, Did it come by you? I see it's out in the Atlantic up by NY now. Good Freaking Lord that storm sucked.

I just got power back 30 mins ago. We're the only building in our complex with power so far, prolly the only one in Naples. We live right on top of Marco Island, I think my building is in with thier wiring somehow.

Well as you can see I'm ok, kids are good. Husband got called in Sun night so he stayed up at the jail through the storm and I can tell you this....

I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER Stayy home for one again. All the stories you heard are true x6, I have NEVER been so scared in my life. I actually had the kids coloring in the bathtub, because there was such a tornado problem. ANd since we're right on Marco we got nailed real hard...I've never prayed so much in my life.

Anyway, it was the worst storm I've ever been through and I've lost count on how many hurricanes I've been in (& blizzards)

I'm off to get ice & water, at the school, we also have no water throughout town, those that do get a trickle can't use it. So Nat. guard & Red cross are all over keeping us stocked, great people really, but it looks like a warzone here, I'll come back online later....

Jenn :)

(SOOO happy to have power!!)

P.S. Chimpie, I'm glad to see you're ok, How are things up in your end? Can't find much on the net, I 'm waiting for our 5 o'clock news to see how everyone else is fairing, all I've heard is that there's 6mill without power right now, but the radio reports haven't told us much else.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Chimp,

Glad you're safe. Keep us updated! I've been checking the thread all day.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
A lot was going on again today, and so far we've sent six teams to West Palm Beach to assist with relief efforts. I will be going to a local company tomorrow and teaching 35 members of their staff that will be deploying to assist as well.

We had only a few homes that were damaged and we've assisted those families as needed. Right now our biggest concern is helping our neighboring chapters and communities. This also will be a long relief operation.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Glad to hear you are alright Wingnut.

Chimp

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
We have 14" of snow, terrible ice storm this morning, every single tree in my yard is either flat or missing something. My telephone line is ripped off the house, I laid a line in from the garage for basic telephone and dial up. We're running two generators, have to keep the freezers cold, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to use it to charge my laptop and use it for a while.

The power went off just after 2pm. Phone was out for a couple hours, but was restored when it stopped snowing. US 6 is closed b/c the leaves were still on the trees, and when the wind started blowing... oh boy was it a mess! They had six miles of nothing but downed trees. PA DOT was plowing the small trees aside, and nine local fire companies and boro/township crews were cutting them. The local kids were stuck at the school till after 7pm. Schools do not have generators, or emergency supplies to shelter people b/c we still have civil defense offices for shelters... It was a major Cluster Fudge! DOT didn't have any plows on yet, and the trees were down from the ice storm, so plow workers couldn't get to the little hubs they have every twenty miles on the highway.

This is the earliest we've had snow since I was a child. The last time it was in October, the leaves had not even fallen yet, and the power was out for 15 days. But that storm was a true nor-easter and dumped 3 feet. We usually get slammed up here in Western PA anyway. Lake Erie takes care of that, plus the elevation is over 2500 feet.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Wow WHKR, welcome to the club! :eek:

It's a sucky membership :angry:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut@Oct 25 2005, 08:47 PM
Wow WHKR, welcome to the club! :eek:

It's a sucky membership :angry:
At least you didn't get 27 degree temperatures with your part of the tropical front...

Tropical my ***! Hell has frozen over.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 26 2005, 12:43 AM
At least you didn't get 27 degree temperatures with your part of the tropical front...

AHHH...The entire reason I have moved from the north and will not go back during any part of the winter months.

However, I am considering a trip to PA in the middle of March for my son's spring break.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess+Oct 26 2005, 01:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EMTPrincess @ Oct 26 2005, 01:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Oct 26 2005, 12:43 AM

AHHH...The entire reason I have moved from the north and will not go back during any part of the winter months.

However, I am considering a trip to PA in the middle of March for my son's spring break. [/b][/quote]
Nah... go to baltimore instead.

EMS TODAY!!!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL...Jon, I would love to do that, but somehow I am thinking my 7 year old can think of a BAZILLION other things he would rather do that wander around EMS Today with me....Now if it was Nintendo Today, he'd be begging to go.

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Oct 24 2005, 08:53 PM
HAS ANYBODY HEARD FROM WINGNUT???

Chimpie-

Are the cell phones working down in the Naples area? I have her # and will try to call her.
Wingnut PMed me last evening.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Oct 26 2005, 07:25 AM
LOL...Jon, I would love to do that, but somehow I am thinking my 7 year old can think of a BAZILLION other things he would rather do that wander around EMS Today with me....Now if it was Nintendo Today, he'd be begging to go.
Bring someone to watch him.... there are all sorts of cool things in Baltimore..... like one of the biggest and best aquariums, and a bunch of cool musuems.

Maybe just stop by for 1 day.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 26 2005, 11:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 26 2005, 11:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess@Oct 26 2005, 07:25 AM
Bring someone to watch him.... there are all sorts of cool things in Baltimore..... like one of the biggest and best aquariums, and a bunch of cool musuems.

Maybe just stop by for 1 day. [/b][/quote]
Are you getting a kick back from the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce ?