Hurricane Wilma - Gone

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
NOAA makes every attempt to dodge the global wierding q's , attributing a bad season to what was first a shorter, and now a longer cycle (150 yrs since the start of records)

and it' been dubbed global wierding, not warming due to the climatic paradox ,for instance farmers almanac (those people that talk to wooly catapilars and chart sun spots) figures a whopper of a winter for us northeners...

so what are the potential effects? well we've already seen a rise in fuel prices (google up the nasdaq on oil co's if you like here) and the insurance companies are starting to balk (act of God, sorry..)

the old folks have less funding for fuel assistance,(sorry, gotta war to run) and for the first time ever we are importing more food than exporting it

the dominoes go on re; kaos theory incarnate eh?

now as far as i can see, the gov's fix is NIMS , or some updated ICS program that has us all fall in line under them. I go next week for this, and haven't seen comment in this forum as yet, perhaps i've missed it

but i know a bueracratic response when i smell one...

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Chimpie@Oct 22 2005, 06:36 AM
It's amazing how the forecasted track of this storm has stayed the same this week. Wilma still seems to be targeting Naples and is predicted to make landfall Monday evening. Conditions will start to worsen beginning Sunday however.

There are many models that take the storm further north and south of Naples, but no matter what, Naples will still be affected. Up in Sarasota we should experience tropical storm winds.

I'll be in class all day today. I will check back in later tonight.
I noticed that, we can't quite believe it ourselves :huh: :angry: <_<

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I may be checking in again tomorrow morning but that will be about it. I will be heading to the Chapter around 8 and will be there probably for about 48 hours. By then Wilma should be on the other side of Florida and the worse should be over with.

I just got back from teaching a class so I'll check back in a little later.

Chimp

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut and myself should start feeling the winds sometime Sunday night. They eye should be near Naples around 7-8am Monday morning. By 2pm it should be out over the Atlantic. Fast huh? By Monday evening the storm should be well out to sea and all will be returning back to normal.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Good luck, be safe

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This morning the storm is still a CAT 2 and has now moved away from the Yucatan Pen. and is heading northeast. FINALLY! Naples still appears to be the target of the storm. I'm really hoping the cold front comes through and pushes it down slightly. We'll see.

Along the Gulf Coast we should begin to see higher wind gusts sometime this afternoon. The later in the day it gets the stronger and more consistent the winds will be.

I'll try to check in later. No promises though.

Wingnut, if you get a second please let us know how you are doing. Stay safe.

Chimp

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm here, been busy getting the apt safe and getting Jay packed for work. Finally got some quiet time. It's almost 8pm, hardly any wind, no rain, nada...the calm before the storm. I had the choice of driving 4 hours to get out of town today or hunker down here. There's a shelter 2 blocks from where I live and my mom lives across the street from me, so we're hanging out at home unless/until it gets bad, then go to the shelter. I hope everyone is staying safe and being real careful, there's really no telling what to expect from this one. Good luck and I'll keep in touch as long as my power is on.

~Jenn

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
the repetitiveness must be getting old for you guys down there...

~S~

emtff99

Forum Lieutenant
Jenn,
how far is DeLand Fla from you? I have family in that area & just wondering? Stay safe & good luck, hopefully things will pass with min damage.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
276.51 miles Northeast.

I had to look it up, I've heard of it before, I think I played an online game once with someone who lived there.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thinking of you both....

Good Luck...

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Just checking in. Conditions are supposed to get worse in the next few hours. Our lead only wanted a skeleton crew there so I decided to come home. I have two others from my department working. That way I can go in there all refreshed. Yeah right, like I'm going to be able to sleep.

Conditions are not supposed to improve until 2 or 3pm tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a break between feeder bands and head back, about a 15 minute drive.

More later.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Stay safe chimp, keep us updated :)

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Okay, storm woke me up. I'm online now for as long as we have power.

Winds have picked up pretty good now. Wishing I would have stayed at the Chapter.

Looks like the eye dipped south and will go between Naples and Key West. No big difference as we are all going to be feeling this one.

More later...

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Okay... winds are still a-howlin' but I'm going to try to get some more sleep.

Should be a busy day tomorrow.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Be careful Chimp!! Good luck on that sleep.

We will be waiting for pics...

And JENN...WHERE ARE YOU!!!

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, I have attended a few conference calls today and it seems everything north of Naples and on the west coast turned out okay. A little damage here and there, but all of our shelters have closed.

Naples, further south, and the south east coast of Florida got hammered hard. I mean real hard. Most of the counties said it was the worst storm in 65 years. Lots and lots of damage. Almost all of the Red Cross offices were without power, water, etc. Some had roofs that leaked. One EOC lost part of it's roof. All of the Keys (Key West) were without power and running water. I could go on.

This will be another one for the record books. I'm afraid that we are only learning what all will be needed for relief from Wilma. As I get updates I will update you all.

Time for a quick nap.

Chimp

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
HAS ANYBODY HEARD FROM WINGNUT???

Chimpie-

Are the cell phones working down in the Naples area? I have her # and will try to call her.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Haven't heard from Wingnut and I don't know if cell phones are up or not. I will know more when I go into work today.