Hurricane Harvey

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Social media saved a lot of lives.
we were doing flights last night off of social media intel.... 3/5 were still there. Got raw skin on my shoulders from the harnesses. Still going.
Was in katy, moving to the city on houston blvd.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Stay safe out there.

and remember, highly paid IT guys and executives don't get to play on USAR teams

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Drove ambulances from Arizona 19 hours straight.. We are still
Resized_20170830_154922.jpeg
in Arlington.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Stay safe out there.

and remember, highly paid IT guys and executives don't get to play on USAR teams
ouch. that one hurt. almost as much as the raw skin on my shoulders lol.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Poor River Medical, everyone thinking they're supervisors lol. At least that's how it was on the Isaac deployment

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Poor River Medical, everyone thinking they're supervisors lol. At least that's how it was on the Isaac deployment

I forgot they wear white polos. Had that same exact thought.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Drove ambulances from Arizona 19 hours straight.. We are stillView attachment 3982 in Arlington.

Did you make it out of Arlington yet? A few of those faces look familiar, but everything blurs together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hi all!

I got told I was on standby, semi-officially, Sunday afternoon. Got the phone call at 11pm, then told at midnight I had a 7am flight, and to be at Ops at 0500.

Got into Arlington around 11am, got out of there about 7pm Monday. Finally checked in and went to bed at the staging area at 0500 Tuesday. Spent the next day and a half in staging (some mechanical issues kept our strike team sidelined).

Wednesday afternoon/evening, and today? It's been multiple long drives for various missions. Currently standing by in eastern TX, expecting tomorrow will be eventful.

If you're here, shoot me a PM. Always nice to meet other forum members.

PS, Throwback memories here. @MMiz should remember helping me to update the forum from Katrina, 12 year ago, when all I had with me was a Nextel with T9 texting email. That was painful.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Two people from my AMR division are in that picture...
Yup... We been doing random jobs around here since Monday and now we being demobilized tomorrow.. Got alot of pissed off people here including our teams in the field asking for relief and assistance. Maybe 10 more disasters from now FEMA will get it right.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Did you make it out of Arlington yet? A few of those faces look familiar, but everything blurs together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not my group... They sent some to Houston today to take supplies and rest of us being sent home... I personally raced to Houston today to drop off important medications to a clinic which turned out to be just flu shots... They literally raced us back because we were being "deployed" when we got back they told us we are going home.... The best part was when we drove the ambulances 19 hours they said we would sleep for atleast 12. We got 2 hours in before they woke us up at 3 pm to deploy... Which was really for us just to sit around for hours then spend the rest of the day packing up supplies to ship out..

Last edited:

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I apologize for the rants.. Just frustrated that I wasn't able to help more. This is my first deployment so I am trying to just take this as a learning experience. Hope you all keep safe and get home soon.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
how is there possibly a fire.... ugh....
I apologize for the rants.. Just frustrated that I wasn't able to help more. This is my first deployment so I am trying to just take this as a learning experience. Hope you all keep safe and get home soon.
don't worry. Your helping plenty. "frontlines folks" need behind the scenes help. If it makes you feel better i don't want to be doing my job. I'd do behind the scene stuff if i could. Sleep is rare.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our BLS team we sent is also being sent home. The ALS teams we sent are still out there.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
PS, Throwback memories here. @MMiz should remember helping me to update the forum from Katrina, 12 year ago, when all I had with me was a Nextel with T9 texting email. That was painful.

I remember the Katrina updates in 2005, was actually thinking about it a few days ago. I remember setting up a phone line so you could call in and record a message. Those were the days.

More than a decade later, good to see you around again! I'm not surprised you're helping out with Harvey. Stay safe and don't be a stranger!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Granted I've never been on a FEMA deployment before and my experience is only with multi-agency incidents within CA. From my experience as a seasonal these types of incidents are a lot of hurry up and wait. I distinctly remember on my first strike team to the 2014 fire siege in San Diego our strike team was on 24 hr stand-by (quick response for any new veg fire starts) at basecamp and we responded code 3 to Camp Pendleton (the tomahawk fire I believe) only to stage for 2 hours before getting an assignment. Theres a lot of hurry up and wait and what the hell are we doing of large scale incidents like wild land fires or FEMA deployments. The behind the scenes and the crappy assignments (staging and standing by) are what makes the crews lives better who are out on the incident.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Anybody get asked what we need down in Texas chalk up jet fuel/ fuel for helicopters top of the list

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And a new car for this medic

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT