humeral head IO

TXmed

Forum Captain
recently ive been told by several smart paramedics that a humeral head IO flows just as quickly as a central line. I have noticed several ems systems going to the shoulder as there first line. I was wondering if anyone knew of more information pertaining to the matter. experience or studies

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Depending on the type of central line, flow through most of them will be DRAMATICALLY slower than a peripheral IV. Now, if you're talking about time to reach central circulation.....

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Per the article posted in the linked thread a Tibial IO will flown ~165ml/min with a pressure bag. CVCs come with various gauge lumens but the most common being 18g,16g, and rarely 14g. Flow rates are approximately 80ml/min, 120ml/min, and 210ml/hr respectively with pressure bags. And then a 6fr Cordis flows around 350ml/min.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Per the article posted in the linked thread a Tibial IO will flown ~165ml/min with a pressure bag. CVCs come with various gauge lumens but the most common being 18g,16g, and rarely 14g. Flow rates are approximately 80ml/min, 120ml/min, and 210ml/hr respectively with pressure bags. And then a 6fr Cordis flows around 350ml/min.

But most CVC's are also double or triple lumen, meaning your effective lumen is much smaller.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our tibial IOs flow slower, it seems, than our humoral sites. Both flow slower than our central lines. But we use a long 14g to access femoral or subclavian central access.

OP
OP
TXmed

TXmed

Forum Captain
several days after posting this thread I actually place a humeral IO and I can say I saw it flow exceptionally fast . So much so that when we took the pressure bag off it immediately started backing up into the line... ive never seen an io do that before. Im definitely gonna start making this my first choice when I need a line for an arrest or serious call when iv cant be quickly obtained

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
But most CVC's are also double or triple lumen, meaning your effective lumen is much smaller.

I was referring to the individual lumen sizes and flow rates. The total diameter of most double or tripple lumen CVCs is 5 of 6 french. They are divided into various configurations. The 18g lumen of a double will flow the same as an 18g lumen in a tipple.

PowerLine-Lumen-Design.jpg

zmedic

Forum Captain
Remember that flow varies with the 4th power of the lumen, but also inversely with the length. Most triple lumens are like 20cm. So even if the triple or double lumen is only a little smaller than an IV, they flow much more slowly than a short peripheral IV. (They are great for critical care because you can sample blood off them, you can give meds like norepinephrine that you can't really give peripherally, and it is much easier to run multiple medication with one triple lumen then trying to start 3 IVs.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poiseuille's_law

Also found this on flow rates from Arrow who makes a lot of the kits.

http://www.arrowintl.com/products/pressurecvc/save_time/flow_rates.asp

jfuent268

Forum Ride Along
recently ive been told by several smart paramedics that a humeral head IO flows just as quickly as a central line. I have noticed several ems systems going to the shoulder as there first line. I was wondering if anyone knew of more information pertaining to the matter. experience or studies
Not sure about flowing as quick as a central line, i believe the main purpose is to reach central circulation quicker for medications to take effect asap!
Compared to the Tibial IO it is very simple to do

Skywalker

Forum Ride Along
I didn't think anything was easier than a tibial IO?
In my humble experience, the manual ( no drill) humeral head IO's were way easier than tibial and the flow was great. Many a code save with this access. Unfortunately in my system, we are required to use the Easy IO drill and may only go tibial.

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
The lumen of the bone in the tibia is much smaller than the marrow space of the humeral head, this allows for increased flow that you see between the two sites.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Someone please remind my local community hospital that time to central circulation is not the same as flow rate.

"It's an uncontrolled hemothorax so we need to place a triple lumen central line before you transport. Have you seen how fast these are? What's that? No all of them have to be triple lumen, and no you cannot start a peripheral IV on this patient. Now get out of the...uh oh er oh damn I think I just lacerated his femoral. Ah screw it, lets just put him on Levophed drip for transfer and you can initiate blood on the ride down if you need too."

True stories of the Level IV Critical Access ED.

That RIC device looks pretty sweet.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Compared to the Tibial IO it is very simple to do

I have never heard anybody say that the humeral IO is easier than the tibial IO... Humeral IO is in the way of everything important, is in an area with difficulties in stabilization, with no bonus over tibial IO of which I'm aware. Who cares about flow rate? It is the rare patient where if I don't dump 2L of saline STAT they're going to die a dead death.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
My service is now recommending a "preference" for humeral head IO access over tibial due to flow rate and time to central circulation. I get where they're coming from, but to me the potential pitfalls outweigh the supposed benefits on the majority of my patients when an IO is placed.

Translation? The majority of my IO charts now state that humeral head access was considered and proximal tibial access was chosen for reasons X and Y.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The county I'm doing my medic school at doesn't allow proximal tibia on adults... Not even as a base hospital order

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Do any of you guys use FAST? We teach it in TCCC.