How to turn down a company Respectfully?

Metfan

Forum Probie
I got an offer for two ambulance company but only can take one. One full time and one part time. I have to go with the full time for economy situation. How would I decline the part time and leaving with out a black mark on my name just in case I end up applying in the future.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Could you do both? Some part time positions can be very flexible and you may find you prefer the part time employer in which case your in the door next time a full time spot opens up. Just a thought.

OP
OP
M

Metfan

Forum Probie
Yeah I thought of doing both but the part time job couldn't give me a set schedule of when I would work. The full time is 5 ten hour shifts so there leaves little room to chance that my part time days wood be free. Plus gives someone els a chance to be an emt in this tough field.

Genesis

Forum Probie
I second that. Even if its only 1 or 2 days a week.

But if you do end up choosing only one, you should just explain yourself without being too detailed. Let them know that you were offered another opportunity that fits better with what you need and that you think you're going to accept it. Short and sweet...and don't forget to genuinely thank them for the opportunity.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
How bout being straight with them " Thank you for the opportunity however I have taken another offer based on my need for full-time hours. I wish your company success in future endevors."

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dear ____:

Thank you for the job offer, however at this time I have decided to accept a different officer.

Sincerely,
______

Snark:

Dear _____:

Over the past two months I have had several different companies apply for my labor. After considering all of the offers, I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer my labor to your company. Although you may be disappointed that I am unable to accept your offer at this time, you have my sincere and personal wish that you may be able to find an equal EMT elsewhere.

Sincerely,
______

/snark.

If you would like other templates, simply google "Medical school rejection letter."

OP
OP
M

Metfan

Forum Probie
Thanks sounds great. But can't help of thinking that I'm losing a good opportunity to have two jobs in the field that I have been tryin to get in for quite some time now.but I just can't take both unfortunately.

MICP

Forum Crew Member
That is called opportunity cost. What will be really frustrating is when you start your new job and absolutely hate it and then meet someone at the job you turned down and they love it.

There is more to a job than FT and PT. Does the FT job have potential for growth, raises, sponsoring through medic school, allow for schedule chnages to go back to school, etc.?

The PT may have FT spot opening up soon? Do they offer free CE for employees, or tuition reimbursement?

These "non-tangibles" can sometimes off-set a pure pay check.

We have all had to make this call, it is called adulthood. WELCOME.

The letter is the absolute most professional way to keep the communication open. Let them know how much you appreciated their time (send one to each person on the interview team and list the date of the offer/interview). Do not use words like "decline" or "reject" when referencing their offer. Instead, use words in the affirmative like "accept" in regards to the other offer. You can even throw in there that you would like them to keep you application on file should your situation change and that you will be referring other to their company.

Also, it is not always a bad thing to mention why you are choosing another employer. If they want you, they may make you an offer. This would be the benefit of a face to face conversation. Simply let them know that you want to be able to perform a a high level, and splitting your time between a FT and PT job could present scheduling conflicts that would leave one agency and the public unsupported. Because of the economics, you need to pursue the FT position. You could ask when or if they have these open for you to consider. They may come back with a FT offer right there.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Dear ____:

Thank you for the job offer, however at this time I have decided to accept a different officer.

Sincerely,
______

Snark:

Dear _____:

Over the past two months I have had several different companies apply for my labor. After considering all of the offers, I regret to inform you that I am unable to offer my labor to your company. Although you may be disappointed that I am unable to accept your offer at this time, you have my sincere and personal wish that you may be able to find an equal EMT elsewhere.

Sincerely,
______

/snark.

If you would like other templates, simply google "Medical school rejection letter."
Although nothing beats the discussions over on SDN about medical school application personal statements and what you mentioned about "rejecting medical schools".

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Burning bag of dog doo?
Nah, it's too impersonal. You actually have to do it yourself. Preferably on the owner's desk and then light it. Bonus points if you stick some sparklers in it. They still may want you to put it in writing as well.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just say "psych! I didn't wanna work there anyway!"

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk