How to make your paramedic not hate you

Evantherookie

Forum Ride Along
Hey Everybody

I'm in my third day of training as an EMT basic, and learning a lot. My mindset has changed from thinking that an EMT will be doing the same tasks I've done on as a volunteer firefighter, but i'm starting to get the impression that the paramedic is more like batman and you are more like robin, purpose is to make their job easier and stay on their hip getting them what they need.

Does anybody have any tips, advice or experience to share, things that they do which makes your paramedic happier with your performance. for instance i think I'm going to keep a piece of duct tape on my leg to record vitals from now on. i had them on my glove but when the paramedic had asked me what they were while doing paperwork later, i had already thrown them away which didn't go over to well.

Any advice you guys have would be appreciated

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Congratulations on getting a job!

For vitals, its up to you. Everyone has their own preference. When I was in the field I wrote them on my glove or told my partner who was talking up any witnesses and family. For everything else, you'll just need to decide as it comes, and go with what is comfortable for you and best for your team. I'd start by asking your partner what he/she expected of you and go from there. Naturally, do your job. If its in your scope and you are attending, get it done. If your partner is attending, keep your head in the loop so you can be ready to assist. I find the best way to gain some respect is to know the invasive procedures and be able to assist with supplies and equipment, and even drawing medications. Again, discuss with your partner how far you can go, but do some external research on intubation and cricing and IV/IO therapy, or even ask your partner. That said, make sure you have your own skills squared away before you get into the extracurriculars.

samiam

Amazing Member
Welcome to EMTLIFE!! Not sure what your protocols are but learning to place 12 leads/leads in general and draw up meds are good skills to help out your medic. Everything that grimes said is good. If you know what is going to be done/what they need you can anticipate and be efficient and help out.

Angel

Paramedic
also maybe dont use duct tape. itll probably leave a residue on your pants and make it look funky. some people use the 2 inch tape. but something like vitals you should be able to remember. maybe it just takes time.
me personally, my partner will always be doing the 4 leads, 12 leads, setting up cpap, neb treatments, getting a glucose reading using the flash in the IV, o2 admin, setting up intubation equipement, running and printing a 6 second strip....things of that nature. it will take time and practice so just keep this same attitude you have now.
if its a bls call, and you can tech (some places medics have to tech ALL the calls) the volunteer and take over. showing initiative and interest (and asking a lot of questions) will take you a long way.

good luck

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
Most medics I know don't like other drawing up their meds! Though if you use any preloads, know how to set them up and prep them for administration. As was said, know your BLS skills and be able and willing to use them as needed. Remembering vitals you'll get with time, just actively know what is going on and you'll have no problem remembering them. Also, learn some ALS assist skills, 12 lead placement (maybe even start practicing interpreting them and take notes from your medic on what is seen.) How to set up a saline lock, spike and prep a bag, how to set up a nebulizer (technically kind of a BLS still anyway), how to prepare ET tubes, things of that nature.

Other than that it just takes some time, run enough calls and you'll be doing it like a pro in no time!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Since when are basics allowed to draw meds? Also what medic in their right mind will push a med they didn't draw themselves? Maybe I'm an oddball but don't touch my stuff. Especially not my advanced airway equipment if we're setting up for a tube.

Ask your medic what they expect of you. We don't bite, promise. Well some might but it'll be over quickly ;)

Other than that good advice in here.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Know where equipment is on the ambulance and know your basic skills. Oh, and know where everything is on the ambulance.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Be competent at performing BLS skills, willing (if not eager) to learn, do what needs to be done without having to be asked/told, remain calm under pressure, and don't toss me around the back of the ambulance just because you got to use lights and siren. That'll make this paramedic happy ;)

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Learn your medics. One may hate spending extra time at the scene, another may make sure the suicidal psych pt has had time to have one last smoke before transport. One medic might not handle vomit well, take one for the team and clean it up.

Actually, make sure everything is clean before and after a call. Do the rig checks before your shift, make sure everything is stocked, and know where everything is.

Check everything that has batteries from the cot to the King Visions, to the IO gun.

If they ask for a vial of Vec or Succs, or a 1ml or a 12 ml syringe, know where it is. If you can see them setting up for an IV, get the lock and flush set up for them and keep it sterile.

Know the difference between a Miller, a Mac blade, a King channeled and standard King so you can grab what they ask for.

On your way to a call, ask what they want you to do. Keep 4x4s, band aids, alcohol wipes in your pocket.

The most important tool in your rig is your cot, the most important liquid is the fuel in the gas tank.

And don't let go of your end of the cot, they hate that.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I always wanted my basics to do the following: 1: O2, (if patient needs it). 2: Set up IV 3: Vital Signs 4: put them on a monitor. Watch whatI am doing and do whatever I am not. (If I am setting up Neb Treatment then don't d O2)..
Learn your protocols, both BLS and ALS. Good thing if your medic can bounce questions off you: What is the Peds Dose of Epi 1:1,000 for allergic reactions?.
If you are not comfortable taking a particular patient into the hospital BLS, fine; but be able to say why.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I disagree with much of what is written here. It is not an EMT's job to know every paramedic's preferences in order to cater to each of their whims.

Know BLS, know the ambulance, know the radio, drive safely. That is all.

On top of that, just learn as you go.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I disagree with much of what is written here. It is not an EMT's job to know every paramedic's preferences in order to cater to each of their whims.

You're right. It's not an EMT's job to know what a medic might want. But knowing what a medic might want, going above and beyond your own duties, is what separates average and great EMTs. If you are an average EMT, you will be treated just like any other EMT out there. If you're great, then you will be liked by your paramedic partner.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

In my experience this attitude pretty much makes you an ambulance driver and a bag carrier.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I would not be able to maintain my employment if that was how I did my job, right or wrong. The expectation here is that you are the medic's assistant and are responsible for all calls that do not require paramedic intervention. Every patient is assessed by the paramedic as he or she sees fit and then who rides in is also the medic's decision. I can decline a patient, but I better have a reason to do so.

That said, know what your primarily rolls are, which are to drive the medic in a safe and smooth manner and to take patients within your scope. Everything else is gravy after that. No one cares how great of an "ALS Assistant" you are if you aren't comfortable with your own patients.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

I am not suggesting that you get on your knees and open up for a Paramedic, I am suggesting ways to assist your teammate while only making your job a bit more exciting. As I also mentioned, of course your BLS skills must be nailed down hard. But you're right, most EMTs are not expected to know anything about an advanced airway or even EKGs, let alone placement of electrodes. But if I love my job and I love my team, then I'm going to do more than everything to make our lives a little bit better. Call it a mentality thing, but if you're not ready to bust your tail for your team (which doesn't stop at the Paramedic next to you) then you have some duty boots to grow into.

If you ARE an ambulance driver, then sure, do your job. I'm talking about EMT/Medic systems, where an EMT gets to be an EMT.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Like some of the others, I disagree with most of this. I would start with knowing BLS, knowing the ambulance and where everything in it lives, how to use the radio, and safe smoooooth driving. I want my EMT to know how to assist with some common ALS stuff. I want my EMT to be able to put the patient on a monitor - 3 or 5 lead as I request (I'll do the 12-lead), how to assemble/set up a neb, how to set up an IV using whatever bag I request, to be able to pull out an IV extension set and saline syringe and have it ready for me, know where the meds are, and generally have on hand some bleeding control supplies. While I don't care if my EMT knows the BLS and the ALS protocols equally well, I would like it if my EMT has at least some familiarity with the ALS protocols so some situations can be anticipated.

I do expect that you will be able to handle BLS calls that I turn over to you... and if you refuse, you need to be able to clearly state why. I'm 100% OK with being the attendant on all calls, but I want my EMT to gain experience too. This is why I'll alternate BLS calls with my EMT partner.

If I work with one or two EMTs on a consistent basis, what I really want is for us to begin working together as a team. Yes, I'm the team lead, but I also want my EMT to be able to advocate for themselves and the patient. Also, I will not knowingly do or allow something to happen that will put my EMT's certificate in jeopardy. I don't want them to exceed their scope of practice. For those consistent EMT partners, if they don't know the above stuff, I'm more than happy to teach it. I'll go over the material as many times as needed to ensure the material is learned because I want my EMTs to keep learning and growing. Should they choose to pursue further formal education, I'll even help them make sense of it, if I can. Why would I do that? Simple... teaching the material only reinforces my own knowledge of the subject matter and forces me to keep up to date on it because I don't want to pass on bad info.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In my experience this attitude pretty much makes you an ambulance driver and a bag carrier.

The OP is an EMT student only a couple of weeks into the program, and asked what he had to do in order for paramedics not to hate him. The very suggestion that a paramedic would hate a brand new EMT for not knowing his or her personal preferences is ridiculous in the first place, and it should have been pointed out that he didn't have to worry about that. Failure to do so could easily be construed as an endorsement of the idea that if the OP doesn't learn some of these things now, he might end up being reviled by his paramedic partners.

It goes without saying that anyone working in EMS needs to be a team player and a hard worker and willing to learn.