How old is too old to start?

@Dr.Parasite: thank you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. Yup, I’m already studying. I start EMT classes in January at Lanier Tech in Northeast GA. My goal is to be as prepared as possible before classes start. I already have a graduate degree so hopefully I’ve got the right study habits engrained. I’ve also worked in pharmaceutical and medical device marketing/messaging my entire career so I’m no stranger to healthcare terminology and such. But still, I understand that much of this will be new to me. Love your philosophy of “don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.” Thank you all again. Will keep you updated

@Phillrube: understood. Kind of expecting that. :). Gotta pay our dues

@MMiz: sure will. Thank you for the encouragement

You won't be allowed to build a career in EMS, but volunteers are always needed))) Seriously, it's great that you're considering becoming an EMS volunteer now that you have the time and desire to do so! If the physical, mental and emotional form allows, then why not. By the way, your experience in marketing pharmaceuticals and medical devices can actually be very valuable when working with patients and medical teams. So may you be lucky and have more grateful patients!

You won't be allowed to build a career in EMS, but volunteers are always needed)))
Not allowed? I wouldn't say that. People get into EMS at different ages for different reasons. An EMS career could be the first ten years after another career. At 59 (the OP's age), some obstacles are different, but so are some rewards.

Volunteering is certainly worth considering. So is getting paid. Pick one or do both, even at 59. As others have pointed out, the OP's life skills are an advantage either way.

Not allowed? I wouldn't say that. People get into EMS at different ages for different reasons. An EMS career could be the first ten years after another career. At 59 (the OP's age), some obstacles are different, but so are some rewards.

I mean, at that age it's hard to compete with young and active people, but of course anything is possible. It also matters which team you get into, how loyal the management will be.

I mean, at that age it's hard to compete with young and active people, but of course anything is possible. It also matters which team you get into, how loyal the management will be.
That’s a false assumption. Very ageist and biased.

I spoke as it is, based on my experience.
I'm half tempted to let @CCCSD off the leash, but instead I'm going to ask you a question:

Why do you think older people can't keep up with younger EMS providers? Endurance isn't an issue 99% of the time, life experiences often provide better insights into dealing with patients, and they're generally (to a point) safer and more experienced drivers.

I spoke as it is, based on my experience.
I'm not as old as the OP is, but I'm quite a bit older than most of the 911 medics in my system. There are a few medics older than I am... and the "old guys" (including me) can easily keep up with the "young and active" people in the system. While I'm a CCT RN now, if I were to be put into a 911 system ambulance, you wouldn't see any decrease in performance.

I speak from my own experience as well, and my experience directly refutes yours. Many of us here aren't young pups... and our collective experience also refutes yours. Mostly loyalty to crews by management is a myth. As an entity, they care about cost and do the crews meet whatever metrics that management track. If you become too costly and not "efficient" then they're going to look to get rid of you regardless of your age.

There is something to be said for reeling in the zealot. Approaching things with a safer, seemingly common sense-driven approach is priceless IMO. Oftentimes this comes with age, experience, and wisdom. Flying by the seat of your pants works well, until it doesn’t.

As for management, the above is absolutely true. They care mostly about the bottom line. Never personal, even when it feels that way. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Back