How many survived your EMT class?

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
I am in a Paramedic Assoc. Degree program and we have essentially lost half. Started with 42 and down to 24. We are just now ending our second semester. :unsure: And after this one, I know we will be short at least 3-5 more going into the summer semester.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
my basic class started w/ 12, 9 finished, and 7 took the NR practical. As far as I know, only 3 have scheduled/taken the written so far.

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
My instructor is pretty serious. Our EMT-I class started with 26 on the first day, and now, midway through 3rd quarter we are down to 11 or 12. That being said, her students' pass rate at National Registry is one of the highest in the state of Ga, at nearly 100%.

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Our class started with 24 people. We lost one guy on the fifth week, and they've been dropping ever since. We're down to 18 now.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
My instructor is pretty serious. Our EMT-I class started with 26 on the first day, and now, midway through 3rd quarter we are down to 11 or 12. That being said, her students' pass rate at National Registry is one of the highest in the state of Ga, at nearly 100%.

Of course it is...she won't risk it so she eliminate all of those except the one's she knows without a doubt will pass. Apparently she's afraid to be a real educator. Piss poor instructor IMO.

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
Of course it is...she won't risk it so she eliminate all of those except the one's she knows without a doubt will pass. Apparently she's afraid to be a real educator. Piss poor instructor IMO.

Wow, they do that? My instructor is awesome... There's one guy in my class (16 years old) who is struggling, but my instructor is trying to work with him. I don't know if this kid will get to go to states, since his failure would also hurt his partner...

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, they do that? My instructor is awesome... There's one guy in my class (16 years old) who is struggling, but my instructor is trying to work with him. I don't know if this kid will get to go to states, since his failure would also hurt his partner...

Because first round pass rates are the only way NR judges today's schools, yeah, a whole lot of I/C's drum out way more students than they should to cut the risk of any iffy ones.

PS: A 16 year old hasn't the maturity or sophistication to be a Spec. He lacks life experience skills more than anything else. I find there is a major difference between 16 and 18-19 year olds. IMO, 18-19 is pusing it but generally they do okay.

snizzle.snoozle

Forum Probie
PS: A 16 year old hasn't the maturity or sophistication to be a Spec. He lacks life experience skills more than anything else. I find there is a major difference between 16 and 18-19 year olds. IMO, 18-19 is pusing it but generally they do okay.

I'm 25 and I can't imagine trying to be an EMT-B if I was who I was when I was 16.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm 25 and I can't imagine trying to be an EMT-B if I was who I was when I was 16.

There's a reason most sane states won't even let you get licensed or take the course till you're 18

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member

She
hasn't eliminated anyone. A lot of people just cant cut it and failed out. The people who have failed out were the ones that showed up 5 minutes late every class and never came to study groups etc.. -the ones that did the bare minimum. I get to school early on exam days and study with a group of about 4 or 5 other guys and we all have 85+ averages. Mine is about 93 at the moment.
Basically what I'm trying to say is that the slackers failed out and the people that are serious about wanting to learn this stuff to the best of our ability so that we are good EMTs in the field are the ones who have made it so far.

I'm 25 and I cant imagine doing this at 20. lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm 25 and I cant imagine doing this at 20. lol

At 20 it's not bad :p I was 20 when I first got licensed and worked as an EMT

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
I didnt know you could even take an EMT class if you are younger than 18. What would be the point? Arent they in High school? Weird.

I'm pretty sure the school I took my emt course at required either a high school diploma or a ged. I just assumed that was standard everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
Because first round pass rates are the only way NR judges today's schools, yeah, a whole lot of I/C's drum out way more students than they should to cut the risk of any iffy ones.

I'm curious what happens if a school has a poor first time pass rate. Is there a certain rate they have to remain above?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm curious what happens if a school has a poor first time pass rate. Is there a certain rate they have to remain above?

I doubt a single or occasional poor outcome would draw much attention. Not all classes are created equal.

Repeated issues may depend on each state and whether there is a policy on outcomes. Should NR / states start making individual stats public in the future we may see a change. Kinda hoping it happens. I'd like easier access tomy pass rates. As it is now, I depend on my coordintor to get those from registry initially, then I follow up on second round passes.

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
I was 20 when I got my EMT and 21 when I got my medic...

Couldn't imagine waiting longer, don't know what I would have done for those few years.

I bartended a while and worked for BMW for a few years. I actually started EMT school following being laid-off.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I doubt a single or occasional poor outcome would draw much attention. Not all classes are created equal.

Repeated issues may depend on each state and whether there is a policy on outcomes. Should NR / states start making individual stats public in the future we may see a change. Kinda hoping it happens. I'd like easier access tomy pass rates. As it is now, I depend on my coordintor to get those from registry initially, then I follow up on second round passes.

Texas gets the pass rates for every level at every school in the state from the NR and publishes it in their EMS magazine every year, and also denotes which schools are accredited.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Texas gets the pass rates for every level at every school in the state from the NR and publishes it in their EMS magazine every year, and also denotes which schools are accredited.

Yeah, we're supposed to but it hasn't happened as of yet. My thought...more instructors might be educators...or more would thin the herd just to look better in the end.

Numbers should include how many started and how many licensed in the end. First and second attempts should be reported IMO. Those are probably the most reflective of a courses true outcome. While the occasional low pass rate is very normal, it is not okay to have large numbers of failing students too often. It's also true that second attempt passes are so common that it should be figured into the statistics.

kpuente

Forum Ride Along
There was 30 of us the first day. Half couldnt pass the initial test they gave us. We had the last class last week and only 9 of us passed.