How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So, not trying to turn this into a wacker thread, but how many of you guys carry a trauma kit in your car or truck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Really? We have had some good conversations but, really?

:deadhorse:

No, I don't. I have a CPR mask and a pair of gloves, a very basic first aid kit for personal/family/friend use and a cell phone. After the new AHA push for public "Hands Only" CPR I have considered ditching the mask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Don't and won't.

Ditched the crappy keychain pocket mask after the new AHA guidelines came out. There's some gloves in the console and two 5x9s next to the tire jack. Sometimes a zip-lock sized first aid kit. Lately my athletic training kit has been living in my car, does that count?

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Really? We have had some good conversations but, really?

:deadhorse:

No, I don't. I have a CPR mask and a pair of gloves, a very basic first aid kit for personal/family/friend use and a cell phone. After the new AHA push for public "Hands Only" CPR I have considered ditching the mask.

What can I say? The search sucks. I'm just wondering how many people actually carry them. I know there's 1001 threads about what people carry in them, but not so much just simply if you carry any kind of traumma kit.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
fair enough. search only includes words of 4 letters or greater.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
i carry my first responder bag which has bandaging/splinting, c-collars, king tubes, resq pods etc

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Its a lawsuit waiting to happen... no good deed goes unpunished.. I'll call 911 maybe get a quick assessment for dispatch. Other than that, that's all I'll do.. I carry gloves, that's it.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
No sense even doing an assessment, it just adds liability. No reason for them to know you have any EMS cert at all. It's never come up yet, but when/if it does, I'll limit my involvement to "do you want an ambulance?"

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
No sense even doing an assessment, it just adds liability. No reason for them to know you have any EMS cert at all. It's never come up yet, but when/if it does, I'll limit my involvement to "do you want an ambulance?"

I meant scene assessment, general visual, not a patient assessment... I'll get the info I can get from looking around, but no touching...

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I don't have a trauma bag. I did jump in on an emergency during a non-EMS job once, but now I just call 9-1-1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
9/10 I'll identify myself to the dispatcher with my name and employee ID as I drive by and call in so I don't have to deal with 75048327045081275081274 dispatch questions. Ill tell them what agencies I would request, tell them I never made pt contact and describe the wreck. They are on the clock and getting paid to figure out the rest.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant

Here in Colorado we have the good Samaritan act that covers ya. I used to carry one but it was more to patch up the staff then anything (I was working as a bouncer).

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Absolutely nothing. No bag, no stickers on my car, no ems/fire shirts while off duty. We live in a very litigious society.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Here in Colorado we have the good Samaritan act that covers ya. I used to carry one but it was more to patch up the staff then anything (I was working as a bouncer).

I'd double check on that if I were you... the law may still be on the books, but take a look at case law, and you'll find Good Sam laws have been fought successfully many many times-- and may no apply to you because you have training above just First Aid, even if you don't use it. You're better off just calling 911.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
I carry a kit in my POV but it's more my trauma kit for SAR when we get called out. I also work w/ an Army style cadet program (where we have a medical director) and I utilize it there.

We have the Good Samaritan laws in my area but we have been taught if you are trained, it doesn't cover you.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I carry huting, fishing and trapping equipment in my truck. Only stuff to hurt, nothing to help.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
ohgodnotaga128504160067446250.jpg

Have no identifying markings on my car. Carry a general purpose "car emergency" bag in my trunk - flares/reflectors, disposable camera, small first aid kit. I make sure that I have a couple pairs of gloves in case someone I care about is injured. Other than that I highly resist the urge to stop. If I see a car crashed with a wild-eyed husband and a wife pushing out a baby on the side of the road... I might slow down.

I can't say that I have first-hand experience with this, but I was told that a career lieutenant in our department stopped at the scene of an MVA in his personal vehicle to see what was wrong. Apparently things did not go so well for the pt, and it was discovered that he was a paramedic and he did nothing other than alert 911. The family sued him in court for not performing to his level of training (even though he didn't even have a pair of gloves). Just because a case doesn't have much chance of winning doesn't mean they can't put you through the pain of having to respond, legally. Again, I can't verify which lieutenant this was, but it was told to me by another LT in our dept that I wouldn't suspect of lying or making it up to scare people.