How long do you think a course should be?

preston

Forum Ride Along
Hi, iv been lurking for a while now and thought it was time to answer some questions I had... I recently started a course to get my EMT-B , its a 5 week "accelerated" course. I didnt realize how much knowledge inwould have to cram in that period of time, plus working on the side disnt give me much time to read and study. I switched to a 3 month vourse that start in 2 months. Just curious if the vets out there notice a lack of knowledge from this tyoe of training?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
An EMT course is an EMT course. Opinions vary, but the knowledge gained is really quite basic. Additional time could be better spent taking real anatomy courses after or before completing the accelerated 5 week course.

OP
OP
P

preston

Forum Ride Along
I definitely plan on takeing an anatomy course after as well as additional training.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
A 5-week course could be daunting for the uninitiated. I think for most peeps the semester long two days per week plus Saturday model is best, especially if your trying to work too.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I took a one month, 8 hours a day/6 days a week EMT course. It worked out fine for me!

OP
OP
P

preston

Forum Ride Along
Im sure alot of people can do just fine im just playing it really safe lol its not cheap and inhave one shot to donit so I wanna do it right, I was in the class for 2 weeks and just felt I could learn more if I had a little more time to read each chapter and donthe research, especially sense im new to the medical field all together

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Im sure alot of people can do just fine im just playing it really safe lol its not cheap and inhave one shot to donit so I wanna do it right, I was in the class for 2 weeks and just felt I could learn more if I had a little more time to read each chapter and donthe research, especially sense im new to the medical field all together
The vast majority of people taking an EMT course are new to the medical field.

Just because school ends doesn't mean you have to stop studying and learning.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The EMT course, despite what many will say, is simple rote memorization. If you're having trouble digesting the book, break it down into knowing and being able to explain the chapters objectives. They're what the NREMT measures as base competency.

"At the conclusion of this chapter the EMT will be able to identify causes of wheezing in pediatric patients."

Flash cards and a study group can get most people through with a minimum of fuss.

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
I have found that the short classes tend to be directed towards those who already are emt's, but because of a long lapse in cert, need to start over.

I did a 16 week summer course. It was 2 days a week 10 hours a day. With a "recommend" (required) study meeting that turned into a lecture/skills.

All that matters is that you pass an accredited emt course with an 80%

drl

Forum Lieutenant
There's pros and cons to accelerated/longer-term classes.

Accelerated classes concentrate the time you're devoting to learning and practicing skills, so you develop a good muscle memory and intuition. That can get you set up very well to immediately take the NREMT and then land a job and start using some of that knowledge. On the down side, if you're unable to put in the time, you'll get swamped very very quickly.

A more spread-out weekend class like the one gave me time for all my other activities in college, including a full normal course load M-F. I had more time and flexibility for homework assignments and skills practice. But, many of my peers did not put in the consistent time they needed to get used to some more complex skills and assessments, and by the final, had forgotten a lot of what they learned earlier on in the course.

You know yourself best. Choose a program that works for you.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
My EMT course was 5 months going 2 nights a week for 4 hours and every other Saturday for 7 hours. Plus 80 hours of clinicals and ride time. It was probably overkill in hindsight, but it doesn't hurt to go above and beyond. 5 weeks seems like it would be way too fast considering the amount of material covered. It really depends on whether you work or not and how quick a learner you are.

With an accelerated course, you will be familiar with skills but probably not good at them or really comfortable with them.

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Where i am its 3 nights a week for 5 hours a night for 4 full months! Then for paramedic Its 4 nights a weeks 5 hours a night for 14 months! Good Luck!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One needs to remember although Basic is just that ... the basics and really not much more it is the foundation your are building your career upon. Part of the EMS problem is we have neglected recognizing this and when one enters advanced levels they have a hard time. I usually look at like if it was easy and fast, how much did you really learn and retain? I do wonder why we dont require more education in EMS than those that cut and pain nails? Most manucurist reuire 500 hours

Alpiner

Forum Probie
My EMT course was 5 months going 2 nights a week for 4 hours and every other Saturday for 7 hours. Plus 80 hours of clinicals and ride time. It was probably overkill in hindsight, but it doesn't hurt to go above and beyond. 5 weeks seems like it would be way too fast considering the amount of material covered. It really depends on whether you work or not and how quick a learner you are.

With an accelerated course, you will be familiar with skills but probably not good at them or really comfortable with them.

That's exactly how my course is scheduled.

I have a full time job so it's great and I also have a hard time concentrating for long periods so I can study in short intervals.

I'd imagine a 5 week accelerated course would require around 60hrs a week if you included study time. That would be difficult for me as mental exhaustion hits me a lot quicker than physical exhaustion.

OP
OP
P

preston

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the replies.. i kinda felt like i gave up but i know i would not have obtained the knowledge i want to before i begin my career helping sick/injured people. If rather slow things down ans give myself the time to understand the material and the skills.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I took a one month, 8 hours a day/6 days a week EMT course. It worked out fine for me!
Me, too. My initial course was three weeks. Monday thru Friday. Plenty of good didactic and lab instruction. My kind of course. Others struggled and passed, others dropped or failed. Everyone will have their own opinion based upon their learning style. I am finishing up prerequisites for nursing. Each class is 4 weeks long. A&P, Microbiology, etc. It's fast-paced and a ****load of info. But it works for me, not everyone.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I know there are people on both sides of the fence regarding this topic. Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I truly do not care if my EMT took a 5 week EMT class or a 5 Month EMT class, the length does not matter, it all depends on the person and how much effort they are willing to put into the program, if they want to do the minimum than they will be a minimalist EMT, if they go above and excel than they will be an excellent EMT. It all depends on the individual and how fast they can pick up and understand the material that is being taught.