How large is your service area

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
from the highway going nw its 1.5 hour highway driving. From our south highway it 2 hours highway driving distance. That makes my service's service area approx 3.5 hours highway driving speeds from end to end. We only have 1 rig covering it with a spare rig in the garage to cover if needed but unfortunately we only have on average only enough people to staff our primary rig with the standard crew of 3-4. our backup rig is staffed normally by a crew of 2-3.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Eastern MA. From Dartmouth to Boston, Cape Cod to Attleboro, Worchester to Plymouth and everywhere in between.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Just where I've been in my few shifts.---
3617 sq mi, the red areas.

No, that's not just "transported to"... that's where we get pts from.

dallasp.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
One service: a whopping 235 acre property plus a few blocks of houses.

The other service: Pretty much all of RI and MA.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We cover almost 1800 square miles and probably will increase. We have five units total that are Paramedic staffed.

R/r911

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

3208 sq/mi. 2 paramedic staffed trucks with a 3rd sometimes available if off duty staff are around and answer a call. A third sometimes ALS sometimes BLS volly truck in the furthest reaches of the south county. Makes for some interesting and challenging times when HEMS not available and you have critical trauma/medical patients. But then again we get a chance to see the effects of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd line treatments

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
One service: a whopping 235 acre property plus a few blocks of houses.

The other service: Pretty much all of RI and MA.

Yes, and you manage a glorius 2.5 minute response time. Hey, sometimes dispatch procedures take longer then travel to the scene. Heh, I can guess the call location based on CC.

Other service: Mainly Boston proper- along with some southern lying cities and towns-- not particularly large area.

Other service: 40 cities and towns-- "Good Luck!"

Other service: 600 acres of classical music venue. Respond by foot.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Primary for over 3000 square miles and mutual aid to well over 6000 square miles.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you guys start posting the population density?

I find it amazing that the area is so high. My towns EMS (I don't work there) is 4 ALS trucks covering only 40sq mi. However, the density is 3,175/sq mi.

My little service covers about 600 acres...again great response time like dan and mr. conspiracy

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

I find it amazing that the area is so high. My towns EMS (I don't work there) is 4 ALS trucks covering only 40sq mi. However, the density is 3,175/sq mi.

My little service covers about 600 acres...again great response time like dan and mr. conspiracy

It's Dallas-Ft Worth- Arlington and Denton... one of the most populous places in America.

medic417

The Truth Provider

6000+ square miles with about 12000 total population. Hospital over an hour away.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
SAR: 806 square miles. Population: 544,282. Density: 675/sq mile.

Amusement Park: 4 square miles. Population: varies. Lately, 6,000-10,000 is average. Density: 1500-2500/sq mile :p

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
We do all of the Chicagoland area, and just about all of Illinois. We do out of state transfers too.

I don't think we have a "service area" lol.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I now work for a health care system based private/non-profit EMS agency. We do mostly ALS and CC transports from our smaller hospitals to our larger ones.

We operate primarily in an urban county covering 614 sq mi, with a density of 3,284 people / sq mi.

We have 911 contracts for two cities within the county:

6 sq mi; 6,835 people / sq mi
36 sq mi; 640 people / sq mi

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Our 911 main service area is 0.5 square miles. We do 911 for a township that does not have its own ambulance so that's abouther 2-3 sq miles or so. We are in service about 48-72 hours a week and handle about 600 calls a year.

The guys next to us cover 7.1 square miles, and are in service 24/7. They have 3 medics taking about 8200 calls a year (2 medics in service 24/7, the third about 8 hours a day i think).

Station 2 downtown (which is actually now station 2/3 since they had to many apparatus pieces to just use the 2 designation) covers the south of downtown and station 1 covers the north of downtown. Between the 2 stations there are 26 pieces of equipment. Station 2/3 has the title (or did have the title) of being "the busiest station in the nation" I'm unsure of their square milage but I would guess its around 5.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
521px-Map_of_California_highlighting_Tuolumne_County.svg.png

County is: 2,274 sq mi
Population: ~60,000 (number will double, if not more, on weekends and holidays because we are a tourist county)
density: ~25/sq mi (not really true as ~60% of the county is uninhabited forests, wilderness, and National Park)

Just to show you that most of the county is Wilderness, Yosemite, and Forest (a SAR dream), the peach area to the left is the only really inhabited portion of the county, and the red dots and the stars are the only population centers (thee biggest of which has a population of 5000 at night):

Tuolumne%2Bmap.jpg

Ambulance Service covers it all (with the exception of the 1/4 covered by Yosemite National Park) with 4 24/7 Medic/EMT Ambulances and 1 12/7 Medic/EMT Ambulance. This includes all IFTs, a good portion of which are out of county, meaning a 2-6 hour transfer time. Additional ambos can be staffed if needed to a maximum of 12 units in county, including 2 4WD riggs.

SAR (me) covers it all with (with the exception of the 1/4 covered by Yosemite National Park) 4 dedicated SAR units copable of seating 18 uncomfortably (our team is composed of anywhere from 25 to 55 people), a swiftwater trailer, a dive trailer, a snowmobile trailer (with 4 snomobiles), an ATV trailer (with 4 quads), and several horse trailers with horses (numbers depend on teh whose on the team). We also have access to other Sheriff's offce equipment (boats, more snowmobiles, more vehciles) and other resources from tothe agencies (helos, more horses, etc...)

Fire (some of whom also do EMS BLS First Response) is a seperate issue, as we are a wildland fire nighmare. We have 9 Fire Paid/Vollie Districts/Departmetns, the County Vollies (with 15 Stations), the USFS firefighters with their engines and utilities, and the state (CALFIRE) with their engines and utilities, not to mention the national park.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
If the statistics on wikipedia are correct, the figures are as follows...

First-Due as BLS
Population: 28,257
Area: 128.3 square miles

First-Due as ALS
Population: 44,296
Area: 376.9 square miles

In this coverage area, we have...
1 to 3 ALS trucks, depending on the time of day and day of the week, and 5 volunteer BLS companies with a total of 7 trucks.

Our second-due coverage area extends into all the counties that our county borders.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
coverage area

For the service I volunteer for: Archbald Borough is 27 square miles, with a population of 6000. We run 2 BLS units, 1 Quick Response Unit, 1 Rescue Squad, and a Quad with a rescue trailer for wilderness rescue.

For the company that I work for: [Lackawanna Ambulance]

We respond to calls in Lackawanna County as ALS intercepts with BLS units and provide to the City of Scranton and Dunmore Borough. We provide ALS, BLS services [emergency and transports] as well as ATS [wheelchair vans].

There are two other services that provide ALS/BLS services in the county, Cottage Hose Co. and Community Life Support. The square milage of Lackawanna County is 458.41 square miles.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
3 feet by 3 feet.