How important is a Linked In profile?

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I was just curious if anyone else has a LinkedIn profile, and if they thought it helped them get an EMS related job? I've got one that I keep up to date, but I don't get many hits and I find all my job postings through agency/company websites. I know LI would probably say it's important but what do you think?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was just curious if anyone else has a LinkedIn profile, and if they thought it helped them get an EMS related job? I've got one that I keep up to date, but I don't get many hits and I find all my job postings through agency/company websites. I know LI would probably say it's important but what do you think?
My wife has one, she's a clinical nurse manager for her company, so it comes in handy in that respect, but I don't know how often she utilizes it.

When I was actively seeking employment as a flight paramedic, I contemplated getting one since some of the bigger name companies' people seem to have accounts, but I decided against it.

Also, I don't know how often they, or anyone, actually keeps up with their LinkedIn account.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's important in my other industry. Not so much in EMS unless you're in senior management.

There are several EMS recruiters on there though. If you're looking for a new gig, there's several out there.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Ok I know I'm a millennial born in 1994, but what the hell is a Linked In?

CALEMT

Interesting.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's gotten a lot looser in the past few years. However, I think unless you're using it to job search or for lead generation for your business, it's just another social media site.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2214.JPG

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Thanks for making me feel old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALEMT

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
that pretty that pretty much matches what I've been seeing on LinkedIn. I couldn't find any of the paramedics I know in my local area. Since EMS and the medical field in general is kind of a niche market it seems like it's not as much use to us. But I've already got my profile more or less done so I guess I'll keep it around.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have one, and keep it pretty well updated.

As a general rule, when there are many EMS providers who don't know how to write a resume for themselves, I think having a LinkedIn profile can be beneficial. While yes, most EMS employees get hired by applying on the company website and going through the process, having the profile allows you to add much more content than can fit on one or two sheets of paper, provided you include a link to it on your digital resume.

I have several former coworkers on my linked in profile, as well as many non ems coworkers. I also know people who have been at the same job for 10 years, and will never go anywhere else (for various reasons), so having a profile is useless for them.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have one, and keep it pretty well updated.

As a general rule, when there are many EMS providers who don't know how to write a resume for themselves, I think having a LinkedIn profile can be beneficial. While yes, most EMS employees get hired by applying on the company website and going through the process, having the profile allows you to add much more content than can fit on one or two sheets of paper, provided you include a link to it on your digital resume.

I have several former coworkers on my linked in profile, as well as many non ems coworkers. I also know people who have been at the same job for 10 years, and will never go anywhere else (for various reasons), so having a profile is useless for them.
This. Pretty mich how i view mine

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk