how far would you drive

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So how far would you drive to get to work. Both as a basic and a medic. Im asking because here theres only AMR but denvers about an hr drive from me and they have several companys.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I once drove 100 miles one way for a flight job. It sucked. I don't see myself driving further than 20-30 miles ever again.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I once drove 48 miles one way five days a week. Used to take 45 minutes and cars passed me. Last job, was 17 miles one way. I have a couple gigs now where I may be called on to drive over 100 miles one way for one day stands, but infrequently.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked as a medic at a service that was 194 miles from my house. I worked a 48 hour shift, so I only drove back and forth once a week.

It sucked.

I now drive less than 25 miles, even when going to the most distant station in my county.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I once worked at a job that was 136 miles each way. Since I worked a 36 hour shift, I only had to drive each direction once. What made things work out is that I had a place to stay overnight the night before, so I would travel during non-commute hours. Given the particular situation for that company, I would do it again if they were still in existence. The car that I'm driving now is much more efficient than the car that I was using at the time. The trade-off would still be very economical.

That particular job was a good fit for me at the time because they were able to give me hours on my weekend from my regular full-time job. If I could find a similar job, I would do it. My current job is 22 miles each way,and it takes me about 26 min. to get there. Now if I can find a job that pays me as well and is flexible enough to work around my school schedule…

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
So how far would you drive to get to work. Both as a basic and a medic. Im asking because here theres only AMR but denvers about an hr drive from me and they have several companys.

Depends on pay and how much I like the job. Fulltime - an hour at most. PRN, I would consider 1.5. I've known medics and nurses who would drive 2+ hours for 24 hour shifts.

I drive about 65 miles from San Bernardino to Los Angeles and back about 4 days a week. It's not by choice either. The drive home after 5pm on the 210 East is monumentally harrowing, I get home usually before 8pm.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I drive 100 miles round trip. 4 times a week.

I wont do much more.

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
Depends on how much I'm being paid... If its worth the time then any distance.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Lets see. First 911 job I drove 225mi one way but worked a 48hr-72hr shift. Emt. Then for 2 yrs drove 50mi one way 2-3 times a week. Now drive 25mi one way 3/kW.

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I thought my 45 mi one way was crazy, i couldn't imagine driving hundreds of miles one way. Respect to those that do though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Met a young man who was contemplating commuting from Apple Valley, CA, to Los Angeles city via Cajon Pass daily. Looked pretty close on his map...:cool:

workworkwork

Forum Probie
wow, i feel privileged with my 15 minute drive, granted im in a city, and the only ambulance company that got back to me is one town over.

phideux

Forum Captain
Right now I drive 73 miles each way. We do 24hr shifts, so it's only 10x a month.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I drive 107km (66.5mi) each way to work. Takes me about an hour and twenty minutes on predominantly country highways. I have one of the longest commutes I'm aware of in the service but where I live is extremely affordable and where I work is not.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I live about a mile from my primary base. I have commuted an hour each way though before.

Back when my dad was a critical care medic he would drive 3 hours each way for a 24 ( flight job). He did 4 a month.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I drive a little less than 30 miles each way to get to work. 12 hour shifts, decent pay.

If I were to get offered a job that worked 24s (and I am interviewing for two of them), and they paid more & had better benefits, I would definitely travel farther. One is currently 70 miles away, while the other is 75 miles away.

One thing to keep in mind, depending on how tied down you were to your current residence, moving might not be a poor choice. If you relocate, it can make your commute better. But remember, you want to relocate for a long term CAREER position, not just a job.

for a 48 or 72 hour shift, I might even drive up to 200 miles, if they pay was right, since the commute would be paid for by the OT, and you are traveling 400 miles round trip, instead of 200+ miles round trip for 4 12 hour days.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I travel 135 miles one-way for a 30-hour shift, twice a month.
It's not horrible, but for full-time, it's gotta be within 30 miles.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
My first job, I would drive about 40 minutes away sometimes depending which station I go to. When I got a full time position, I drove about 20 minutes regularly.

My second (and current) job I drive about 10-15 minutes.

I haven't done 9-1-1 yet. I've considered relocating or commuting far.

Before I got an EMT job, I was gonna move to Georgia and just go straight into Paramedic school. I still get brochures from the school I signed up for over there. I have some regrets not doing that.

MedicPam

Forum Probie
My station is 96 miles from my house. Wasn't an issue while I was on 24s, but last summer my company changed my shift to 12s with mandatory off time between shifts, so I gotta say I really need to consider moving and/or not driving a truck. However, I love working where I do, which keeps me commuting. And sattellite radio keeps me sane! :mellow: