How far is to far to apply for jobs?

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
I start school tomorrow night. Class is 12 weeks. How far is to far to start applying or is it nest to wait until you've tested...and passed....to even bother.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I start school tomorrow night. Class is 12 weeks. How far is to far to start applying or is it nest to wait until you've tested...and passed....to even bother.

Wait until you have passed the registry. If that is what you have to take. Unless you know someone somewhere, most are going to want your license in good standing before they consider you as a candidate.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Doesn't hurt to talk to some of the services so they start to learn who you are. Most probably will not accept an ap until your certified.

OP
OP
heatherabel3

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
That's what I figured but thought is ask anyway. Now I just have to figure out how to network with people at the local services without looking like a crazy person.

Anjel

Forum Angel
That's what I figured but thought is ask anyway. Now I just have to figure out how to network with people at the local services without looking like a crazy person.

Clinicals will be good for that.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends. Before school started I found a private place that had just received a few new contracts to the point that they needed to almost double their staffing and increase their trucks by 50%. They gladly took my application beforehand and due to my educational background (I was working on a Bachelor's in Biomedical Engineering at the time) they offered me an EMT position pending getting my cert. I was actually still a couple of days away from starting school which was a 4 week program.

They also offered me unpaid ride time for my clinicals (which I declined--they would have paid me but then it wouldn't have counted toward my hours). I took registry on a Friday, and when I called them that I had passed that following Tuesday, they had me come in at noon to do orientation and paid ride time for the rest of the week. As soon as my Cert showed up on the state's website, they put me on a truck.

But these cases are rare, usually places want you to have at least passed the registry and be waiting for a formality such as your state cert before you are accepted. Other places will hold onto your app, but why apply if you're going to have to call them again later anyway?

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
In Alberta you can get a temporary registration that allows you to practice after your education program is complete, but before you've taken the registration exam. You have to be under the supervision of a registered practitioner at all times, but it allows some people to pick up jobs the day after school ends, while they wait for the exam dates to roll around. That means there are people that apply during school and get offers for when they're complete.

Not sure if your state has something similar, but it might be worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Show up with donuts at shift change.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Clinicals will be good for that.

+1

Assuming you do your clinicals and ride alongs in your area it would be an excellent time to talk with folks and begin networking. I was amazed at how much in EMS depends on plain old word of mouth and face to face in the hiring end. This is especially true at the very entry level of the basic because just about everyone gets dumped out of class with the exact same qualifications.

OP
OP
heatherabel3

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in Tacoma. Our clinicals are at the local hospitals but I have gotten the chance to do a ride along with the fire guys in Port Orchard.

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
i'm in the same position, i start school next week. i am florida, and i'm torn as well. i don't know what to do..

OP
OP
heatherabel3

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
Well apparently there is no "to far out", as several people in class already have sponsors. Does anyone know who Madigan contracts with (keep in mind I live on base) and/or if they follow the same guidelines to hiring spouses as other military contracted employers?