How do you secure an ET

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I saw one of the Canadian medics said they use twill tape to secure a tube.

Outside of a flight service I haven't seen anyone use anything other than the blue and white Thomas tube holder in the prehospital arena for years. And that's in several states. I personally think they kind of suck and I notice they're always changed out in the ED shortly after arrival. In fact, the DE protocols specify a Thomas Tube Holder as the securing device. (Here in Georgia, I could probably use bailing wire without any comment, but we stock Thomas tube holders...)

How are you securing your tubes?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Outside of a flight service I haven't seen anyone use anything other than the blue and white Thomas tube holder in the prehospital arena for years. And that's in several states. I personally think they kind of suck and I notice they're always changed out in the ED shortly after arrival. In fact, the DE protocols specify a Thomas Tube Holder as the securing device. (Here in Georgia, I could probably use bailing wire without any comment, but we stock Thomas tube holders...)

Never seen anything but the thomas tube holders here or in Massachusetts. They're all the EDs use here as well.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think the Thomas devices are awesome. We had them at several places I worked.

I mostly used IV tubing in the field when the Thomas or similar devices weren't available (the last place I flew). In the OR, we just use tape, but we don't have the movement issues that you have to worry about in the field.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thomas here as well. The ED will change them out to their preferred securing device.

TrueNorthMedic

Forum Crew Member
I work in Saskatchewan, Canada and we also use only the Thomas tube holders. They seem to work well. I'm in Advanced Care Paramedic school right now and one of my instructors mentioned using twill tape to secure a tube but I don't think I've ever seen it.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Thomas Tube holder mandated at flight service for all tubes regardless if we place or not. Same device used at fire department job. Cloth tape and Hollister spray for all pediatric and neonate tubes at my part-time Peds/Neo flight service. Yup, that's three jobs :(

I think the Velcro on the TTH sucks personally. I don't know who makes them but I am very fond of the gummy commercial devices that go across the upper lip a lot of hospitals and ICU's are using and allow for switching the tube sides periodically.

cprted

Forum Captain
Our service doesn't provide any sort of tube holding device to the ground ALS crew. Normally we tie them off
I work in Saskatchewan, Canada and we also use only the Thomas tube holders. They seem to work well. I'm in Advanced Care Paramedic school right now and one of my instructors mentioned using twill tape to secure a tube but I don't think I've ever seen it.
Come to BC ... lol ...

We're not provided any tube holders (at least not ground ALS, the CCT air boys might have something). Mostly tied off with 1/2" twill cord, though I've heard of tubes be

FiremanMike

Just a dude

I never knew thats what they were called, but that's what we use.. I do find myself (starting tomorrow morning) to be in a position to order anything I want.. What have you found to be a better device and why?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you don't like commercial devices, I think IV tubing is the best thing to use. Cheap and readily available, quick to place and works great.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thomas tube holders here. Even for Kings. I hate the velcro, but love the holder itself.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't gotten to use actually use one yet, because the one intubation attempt I was around didn't work and the flight folks got there shortly after and took over. Observation from messing with it though is that the strap is ****, but I actually like the device itself.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
MA prehospital protocols require a commercial device be used, and most use the Thomas. Many anesthesiologists and RTs use tube tape in the hospital, but we've slowly convinced them how that's inadequate in a transport environment, and they've gotten good at putting something else on before we arrive to transfer.

One hospital in my area uses this (or a relative): https://www.hollister.com/anz/files/pdfs/wound_lit_etad_instructions.pdf which is stickers that attach to the cheeks. Aside from concerns with facial hair, I find these to be more secure than a Thomas (although it also requires a bite block).