How do you remove supine patients from their homes?

How do you move the supine patient?

• Scoop

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Backboard

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Reeves type device

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Sheet/Extremity Lift

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Ambulance Cot

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Mega-Mover type device

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was thinking about this the other day when we took a gentleman that could not stand or sit out of his home. We put him on the cot and then carried him a flight of awkwardly spaced outdoor steps. Such an operation took me, two volly FFs and two deputies as the wheels needed to be lifted high to keep from getting hung up on the stairs. Power cots are also heavy...

At my old place we would put that person on a scoop and carry them out.

How do you do it and why do you like do it that way?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There is no one type of way. I have done everything from what you did to moving the chair the patient is on. The most common way was just to do a 2 or 4 person carry. We now have stair chairs at our company so that is the new most common way to get the patient out if they are stable.

The way that the stair chairs are mounted inside our ambulance it takes a while to get it out and then to place it back in the ambulance. So if the patient is critical we don't use the stair chair due to time issues.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Scoop.
Backboard.
Soft flat.

In that order. I don't carry the power cot unless I really need to. Even then, four point it and they truly aren't all that heavy. If my old 5'3" 115# partner could two point it with me on the other end (5'8" and 140 pounds) and a 150# patient on it a couple strapping young lads can do it for sure.

We are required by law to have 3 backboards and a scoop on every ambulance so we always have the resources available.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Reeves stretcher. It's perfect for the type of situation you described.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Reeves stretcher. It's perfect for the type of situation you described.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm generally against taking power cots into the residence unless there's only one step into the front.

The Reeves is my tool of choice. Sometimes, we'll just carry the patient, under-hook the armpits and the upper thighs. It's much quicker and easier than involving several pieces of equipment.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There is no one type of way. I have done everything from what you did to moving the chair the patient is on. The most common way was just to do a 2 or 4 person carry. We now have stair chairs at our company so that is the new most common way to get the patient out if they are stable.

The way that the stair chairs are mounted inside our ambulance it takes a while to get it out and then to place it back in the ambulance. So if the patient is critical we don't use the stair chair due to time issues.

I think placing an unconscious patient on a stair-chair might lead to issues haha, better do a good job strapping em down.

Also I have never seen a Reeves sleeve but after looking it up I wish we had one at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I seem to use a Reeves once or twice a week. I use it way more frequently than a scoop, and I think it's more comfortable for the patient. It also has six handholds on it, which is great for some of our plus sized patrons.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
We carry a Mega Mover it is a tarp looking thing with sturdy handles, they hold around 800 pounds if I remember right. It works pretty great and it is easy to clean. We also have nylon cargo nets and clams.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
This depends on the size of the individual, how much clutter is in their house, how narrow the halls or stairways are, and how strong you and your partner are.

I've never brought a stretcher into somebody's house, and never will unless there are no steps.
We either carry them out like 46Young said by physically picking them up, or strapping them in a stairchair, or using a Reeves. We don't have scoops and I don't think I'd use one if I did.

I think the Reeves is the best piece of equipment we have. Wrap em up and carry them out. Good for combative pt's too.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
+1 for the Reeves. I've never used a scoop(my company doesn't have them) but I use the Reeves weekly and its about as good a device as I can imagine for the task. The ends bend in a bit too so if you need lift a pt vertically, they don't really slide out.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I was going to say the same thing. I'm generally against taking power cots into the residence unless there's only one step into the front.

The Reeves is my tool of choice. Sometimes, we'll just carry the patient, under-hook the armpits and the upper thighs. It's much quicker and easier than involving several pieces of equipment.

What he said. We run with 2 people on everything and the lift assist is coming from up to 20 minutes away. The cot stays on flat ground, never up any stairs. We use the stair chair any chance we get and the reeves behind that.

Never, ever take the stretcher up more than a step or two at the most. It's asking for trouble.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't mind taking the stretcher up more than one of two stairs on one condition. The front porch doesn't have a railing. That way you don't have to carry the gurney back down the stairs. You just 'unload' it from the front porch.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I don't mind taking the stretcher up more than one of two stairs on one condition. The front porch doesn't have a railing. That way you don't have to carry the gurney back down the stairs. You just 'unload' it from the front porch.

But without the hook. I could see that going so, so badly. Only with people you trust and are paying attention I suppose.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It does fall into the "do not try this if you are a complete dumb ****" category. Having carried the gurney down stairs and done the 'unload' technique I think unloading it is safer.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I think placing an unconscious patient on a stair-chair might lead to issues haha, better do a good job strapping em down.

Also I have never seen a Reeves sleeve but after looking it up I wish we had one at times.

Unconscious is one of those "time" issues were we will just 2 or 4 person carry them out.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Impossible to say, definitely a case by case basis. Sometimes breakaway flat, backboard, stair chair, sheet carry, G/S carry, or bring the gurney in.

Additionally, I don't see the big deal of bring the power gurney into homes, up a flight of normal sized stairs. Obviously this adds more weight, but I've done this a couple hundred times most likely, with no incident. Of course it's not ideal, but it gets done around here all the time, problem free.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Our stair chairs have lap and shoulder belts, foot straps and a head strap. It works fine for unconscious patients, almost easier since they don't try to reach out and grab stuff on the way out. The original question was about removing people supine so It didn't really cross my mind.

Not quite sure how I forgot about the megamover but its a great tool. We don't reuse ours, they stay under the patient or get thrown away. I usually leave them at patients' homes for family members to use moving them about if we use one on a lift assist.

We have a bariatric one on the bari unit that's twice as wide and has metal reinforcements. That one gets washed and reused.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Obviously there is no one size fits all option...the poll was an uneeded addition. I'm just looking for tips and tricks and that sort of thing, which this thread has been great for.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

This is my go to maneuver when a cot needs to go inside. Endless possibilities