How do you feel doing BLS calls?

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by asysin2leads@Aug 9 2005, 04:05 PM
>Docs in the 60+ Hospitals in the NYC setting were adamantly against us doping >up their patients for several reasons...

>it makes them loopy and poor historians.

>The very real possibility of calling EMS for some sort of pain, and us having to >sort out those in pain for real from the junkies.

I'm glad this attitude towards pain management in NYC is starting to (slowly) diminish. Being a trauma victim at one point myself, I have a real kind of soft spot for anyone with musculoskeletal injury. Last year REMAC approved morphine as a medical control option for isolated extremity injury. Granted, the chances of an ALS unit being assigned on an isolated extremity injury is very slim, but, its a start.
The poor historian part is crap. We give morphine to people in APE, and they're history giving ability is much more important than someone who broke their leg or crashed their car. In addition, any ALS crew doing their job properly would have gotten an adequate history PRIOR to medication administration.
As for the junkie part, I shake my head a little. Sure, the EMS system gets abused day in and day out, but just because something is in a protocol DOESN'T MEAN you have to give it. If I have some skell come wandering up to the bus complaining of "severe pain in the leg", do you think he'd be getting morphine? Nope.
I realize that with the Republicans in power, getting loopy in any way, shape or form, is pretty much the worse sin you can commit, but as a medical care provider, I'm gonna stick to my commie feel good ways and say that if I have someone with multiple fractures entrapped in an MVA, I'd like to give them a little something to take the edge off before I move them, because I personally know how much it HURTS.
A) If you want an intelligent conversation do not use debasing terminology...it marks your maturity and age. :rolleyes:

B ) Remember, before you there were plenty of us, and we learned our trade from Doctors who strongly felt their convictions were correct. You do not actually think you are even remotely original with this pain-free thing. We tried to float RSI and Paralytics back in the early 90's (much more important than pain management) where did that get us? Nowhere. Dr. G and even the Dr. Gonzales were so strongly against it, they raised their voices at us for even MENTIONING it.

C) I am not worried about the history they already told me...I am worried about the history they will tell the MD @ the hospital when I have gone 98/97 (89 to you, but you would not understand).

D) You are working in an era where it is rare if any medic units are accosted for their Narcs, I did not.

E) Be careful of whom you are giving vasodilators and respriatory depressants to, New Jack, people whom are entraped do not necessarily need the help you want to give. Fix the real problems like shock, then mebbe take the edge off.

Lastly, use caution on who you call out, New Jack.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not this again :rolleyes: :D

The Ell-Tee is Ticked Off!!!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Ambulances Robbed; Drugs Stolen

POSTED: 6:13 p.m. EDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 6:37 p.m. EDT August 24, 2005

Story by wtov9.com

SOMERTON, OH --

Officers in Belmont County are investigating the theft of thousands of dollars in medical equipment stolen from the Somerton Volunteer Fire Department. The drugs were taken out of two parked ambulances that were parked in the department garage.

Emergency crews didn't realize the medicine was gone until they responded to an accident Tuesday. Assistant Squad Captain Jody Wilcox says they got a 911 call of an Amish horse and buggy accident. When paramedics tried to put an IV in the victim, they found out that some of their equipment and most of their drugs were gone. Paramedics were able to find alternate methods to treat the victim.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 26 2005, 12:27 AM

POSTED: 6:13 p.m. EDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 6:37 p.m. EDT August 24, 2005

Story by wtov9.com

SOMERTON, OH --

Officers in Belmont County are investigating the theft of thousands of dollars in medical equipment stolen from the Somerton Volunteer Fire Department. The drugs were taken out of two parked ambulances that were parked in the department garage.

Emergency crews didn't realize the medicine was gone until they responded to an accident Tuesday. Assistant Squad Captain Jody Wilcox says they got a 911 call of an Amish horse and buggy accident. When paramedics tried to put an IV in the victim, they found out that some of their equipment and most of their drugs were gone. Paramedics were able to find alternate methods to treat the victim.

ummm.... OOPS!!!!

Were narcs stolen? or is there some guy trying to sell Epi on the streetcorner :rolleyes: ...

As for not finding out until they needed them that they were missing ..... SHAME ON THEM... they didn't check their equipment....

Jon

PS - this is a small sqaud in Ohio... not NYC... in NYC, everyone :wub: everyone else.... "I Love NY" and all that crap....

I bet FDNY dosen't hear this dispatch much:
they got a 911 call of an Amish horse and buggy accident.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :lol: :lol:

medicmgr

Forum Ride Along
I love BLS calls. Low stress, easy assessments, easy documentation. I agree with the guy who said it is like a vacation. I am one of those "been there, done that" guys. Save all those "busy work" calls for the new paramedics who get off on that sort of thing.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
My father has worked in 'the field' for over 50 years. He always says they if you think you've seen and done it all, you still have a long way to go. Always has a lot of folksy wisdom to give out because I truly believe he has done and seen it all, but would never tell anyone that, or feel that experience is a reason to stop gaining knowledge.

BLS is a necessary component to all EMS systems because we know there are not enough paramedics, and we know that not every municipality can afford them. I'm sure than thousands if not millions of people would die every year, if it were not for Basic Life Support systems. The local ambulance is BLS, no ALS service in the area, it they weren't here.. we wouldn't have anything. Besides, not every person that calls 911 is an ALS patient, it would be a waste of money -for patients and Medicare- to work up every person with a cut on their finger.

edit: Spelling Error

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 15 2005, 03:17 PM
He always says they if you think you've seen and done it all, you still have a long way to go.
I love that, I know A LOT of people who need to hear that too.

I heard another good one the other day, was talking to my mother in law about her step mother (a total PITA) and she said in her cute southern accent, "Every time she opens her mouth a turd falls out" I swear I couldn't stop laughing.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Wingnut+Oct 16 2005, 10:12 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wingnut @ Oct 16 2005, 10:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Oct 15 2005, 03:17 PM
He always says they if you think you've seen and done it all, you still have a long way to go.
I love that, I know A LOT of people who need to hear that too.

I heard another good one the other day, was talking to my mother in law about her step mother (a total PITA) and she said in her cute southern accent, "Every time she opens her mouth a turd falls out" I swear I couldn't stop laughing. [/b][/quote]
:eek: