How do you feel doing BLS calls?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lets say you work in a ALS / BLS system, and you have both ALS and BLS crews working, and get dispatched for a low-priority BLS transfer because you're closer than a BLS unit. How would you feel?

I feel as though Medics, when Basics are available, shouldn't have to pull lots of BLS calls. My company is moving toward a more ALS-based system, and they're now pulling a lot of the BLS calls that would have been handled by our BLS units.

Some mind, others dont, how would you feel?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think the ALS crews should be used as a last resort to handle the BLS calls, so as to leave them free for emergencies. An ALS provider should expect to do BLS runs, just not a lot, and pitch in on busy days...

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't mind, it's often like a mini vacation, but it doesn't make sense to occupy my ALS skills with a stubbed toe... luckily on my shift we have enough to run ALS and BLS so I can bless the BLS crew and head back to HQ.

ECC

Forum Captain
You should leave ALS for when you need them...but no need to beat up on the BLS either.

I used to get loads of BLS (Crappy disptcher...then tried to pre-empt me for a high priority back in my own area)...it is no big deal.

aristigal

Forum Probie
Up here we run ALS units so we do it all. However many systems have a basic partnered with a paramedic and handle it that way. I agree with the previous poster...it's like a vacation. Keep in mind too that sometimes a BLS call can become ALS.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Difference between a BLS call and an ALS call?

Three Hundred Dollars...

Stick an IV in em, and collect the big bucks.

Broken finger.. IV

Pain... IV

Transport... IV.

:lol:

ECC

Forum Captain
There is no need for IV access for a broken finger unless you are going to give analgesics.

And I am not a big fan of doping up people with Fentanyl or other morphine derivatives...let's just say it was the culture I was trained in.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not EVERYTHING is ALS, but at the squad I'm running at, that just started a "harsh" CQI program, ALS treatment is up 19%. If they are going to get line'd and lab'd on ED arrivial, why not shorten their wait (If ED likes your lines) and have 'em ready? Remember Abdominal pain can be a AAA, Treat EVERY Chest Pain like it is cardiac - put 'em on the LP12 and do a 12-lead, give 'em a saline lock and draw labs. You spend MAYBE another 5 minutes on giving the patient the standard of care YOU ARE CAPABLE OF, save the ED some time, and have a yay / nay on "REALLY REALLY sick / not REALLY REALLY sick" from a good 12-lead and assessment.

And your service can bill more, you get paid more, your position is justified as an ALS provider, etc.

Originally posted by ECC@Jun 3 2005, 05:35 PM
There is no need for IV access for a broken finger unless you are going to give analgesics.

And I am not a big fan of doping up people with Fentanyl or other morphine derivatives...let's just say it was the culture I was trained in.

I saw something the other day - 70%+ of EMS patients in SEVERE pain don't get analgesia. If it hurts like hell, and they have a good pressure and no contraindications, and you have the protocols, why not use your Morphine? We don't carry it to use on ourselves... it is FOR THE PATIENT!!!!!
Jon

ECC

Forum Captain
I was indoctrinated over 14 years ago...There were quite a few things we were 'NEVER going to get'. Among them were narcs for analgesia, and paralytics for RSI.

Docs in the 60+ Hospitals in the NYC setting were adamantly against us doping up their patients for several reasons...
  • it makes them loopy and poor historians.
  • The very real possibility of calling EMS for some sort of pain, and us having to sort out those in pain for real from the junkies.
Also, keep in mind how many patients fail to tell the whole tale...and leave out important stuff in their history...or important stuff about the events leading up to what is hurting them. I have transported thousands of patients without analgesia. They did just fine...chalk it up to the culture of my youth and environment. I did not say I withold narcs...on the contrary, my MD wants his patients pain free...so that is the way I deliver them...but I did state my objection to it.

jonaeromed

Forum Ride Along
I have no objection to doing BLS calls, infact over the years many calls originating as BLS have turned out to be ALS. It's also good to bring us down to our roots now and then.

Take care

Work safe.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant

your protocols dont include N2O?

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by daemonicusxx@Jun 6 2005, 07:08 PM

Holy Cow!

I havent heard of anyone using N2O since the 70s and 80s, I used to love that stuff, best cure for a hangover ever!

:D

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by daemonicusxx@Jun 6 2005, 07:08 PM

Um, no. I have not used NO2 for 15 years, thanks for the blast from the past! ;)

rescuecpt

We have N2O in our protocols... and on our rigs at the Corps (not at the FD). I haven't used it though - in fact, I've never been taught how to use it.

ECC

Forum Captain
What happened to the NO2 setup @ the FD...I know we had it there...I put it on the rig.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC@Jun 7 2005, 11:20 AM
What happened to the NO2 setup @ the FD...I know we had it there...I put it on the rig.
We got rid of it for the year or two when we didn't have ALS (after M. Frederick left)... and then we didn't get it back when we got ALS back.

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jun 7 2005, 11:30 AM
We got rid of it for the year or two when we didn't have ALS (after M. Frederick left)... and then we didn't get it back when we got ALS back.

My bestest friend, whom I could count upon for anything.

not.<_<

Much the same as many of those I knew during that time. :rolleyes:

rescuecpt

I hear ya. Last night they tried to burn the place down again with microwave popcorn.

ECC

Forum Captain
Strong work. <_<

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
We still run medic/emt on our rigs. If the calls is ALS, the medic takes over. Otherwise its the emt. Very rarely we run a emt/emt truck for some transfers. I think everyone feels better that there is a medic there if a problem is to arise.