How do you deal with bystanders with cameras?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I think being completely blocked off and disassociated is an attribute those who are burned out have.
There is a difference between being "burned out," and respecting the rights of all parties on scene (just because your patient is sick or injured does not convey upon your patient additional/extra rights). I find all manner of legal things to be awful / distasteful / moronic, but that does not mean I'm burned out because I allow it to go on. It is literally illegal for me to go out of my way to interfere with bystanders in public (and quite clearly not our job).

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm more careful and cognizant of following every little regulation the letter, but that's about it: stretcher height, etc.

Angel

Paramedic
There is a difference between being "burned out," and respecting the rights of all parties on scene (just because your patient is sick or injured does not convey upon your patient additional/extra rights). I find all manner of legal things to be awful / distasteful / moronic, but that does not mean I'm burned out because I allow it to go on. It is literally illegal for me to go out of my way to interfere with bystanders in public (and quite clearly not our job).

no one said go out of your way. if you dont respect or care about your patients privacy thats fine. you are entitled to feel that way.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I really don't care what they do... as long as they don't get in my way or impede my work. I'll do what I can to protect patient privacy as much as I can, but when in public, there's no real expectation of privacy. If someone does get in my way or manages to impede my work, then I'll have the person arrested for (California) PC 148.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
As someone who makes his living filming EMS crews, I can say much of the advice you see here in this forum is spot on. Just focus on patient care and ignore the bystanders. The moment you try to censor a bystander, or journalist, you run the risk of making the scene into a spectacle that will almost certain find it's way (with emarassement to you and your agency) to the evening news, YouTube, you name it.

Historically speaking, when it comes to scene photos, etc., the most egregious acts of privacy violations have come from first responders themselves and not the general public or media.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. It just really disgusts me when people will take advantage of their fellow man like that. I've had a call recently involving an older gentleman suffering from a cardiac arrest. There were 15-20 people on scene, several recording on their stupid phones. He was in asystole when we hooked him up to the monitor. No one even bothered to attempted cpr. They didn't care, it's just a free show to them.

I do not think he cared that people were looking at hime, he was in cardiac arrest.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Unless they are interfering with PT care then let them do whatever they want, most of the time they are doing it for a chance to sue you anyways. Act like a professional and get to the truck. Police have it way worse.

Rin

Forum Captain
They may be free to photograph, but they are not /entitled/ to an unimpeded view of your patient. If the best shot they can get is of clustered emergency vehicles and a couple of firemen holding up a blanket, then so be it.

Remember, being a patient advocate is also part of our job.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
They may be free to photograph, but they are not /entitled/ to an unimpeded view of your patient. If the best shot they can get is of clustered emergency vehicles and a couple of firemen holding up a blanket, then so be it.

Remember, being a patient advocate is also part of our job.

Just remember not to get sidetracked with the bystanders. Keep your focus on patient care and if enough responders are on the scene to setup a "specticle barrior" of some sort, then so be it as long as it dosen't comprise care and transportation times.

MedicGray

Forum Ride Along
A few weeks ago we were treating a stable pt at a competition and there was a camera crew literally all up in us. They had their microphone next to the pts mouth and two cameras in our faces. PD officer on scene said they can record what they want. It sure made me mad but I tried not to get upset because there was a camera recording everything I was doing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A few weeks ago we were treating a stable pt at a competition and there was a camera crew literally all up in us. They had their microphone next to the pts mouth and two cameras in our faces. PD officer on scene said they can record what they want. It sure made me mad but I tried not to get upset because there was a camera recording everything I was doing.
You can ask them politely to step back if they are interfering with your care. That's perfectly acceptable

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
You can ask them politely to step back if they are interfering with your care. That's perfectly acceptable

Exactly. In no way are you required to bend over for cameras. Ask them nicely to step back, and wave fire and PD over to circle up and obscure views if you want.

Rin

Forum Captain

Having a microphone by the patient's face is detrimental to patient care. The patient could be reluctant to tell you any sensitive medical information, including current medications and allergies, that you need to know to safely treat them. There's a reason why HIPAA is such a big deal.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Having a microphone by the patient's face is detrimental to patient care. The patient could be reluctant to tell you any sensitive medical information, including current medications and allergies, that you need to know to safely treat them. There's a reason why HIPAA is such a big deal.

So wait to ask that stuff until you're AWAY from the camera. HIPAA also has zero bearing in this case.