How do you deal with bystanders with cameras?

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
We all know them- the annoying group of bystanders who shove their iphones and cameras in your pt's face and get in your way on scene. They seem to take so much pleasure in watching their fellow man suffer that they must record it and share it with their friends. How do you protect your patients privacy while remaining professional when faced with these exasperating individuals?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They have the freedom to record whatever they want.

As long as they don't get in my way then fine. If they do get in my way they are asked to move and then LEO will get involved if they are still creating an issue.

Angel

Paramedic
Get to the back of your ambulance as soon as it is feasible. I've yet to have this issue but I'm sure it will come.

I have no desire to be in ANY ones videos or pictures so it would be very very frustrating.

Also: I have had a nurse while transporting a vented patient with at least 5 drips and a ballon pump ask me to take pictures at all sorts of angles for god knows what (probably her twitter) and I just thought it was so unprofessional but that's neither here nor there

Last edited:

Anjel

Forum Angel
I just ignore them. And like Angel said... If possible and if I am going to be transporting... I move to the back of the ambulance.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm one of those bystanders taking photos at times. Not as invasive as yoy describe though.
For all my friends here ve careful with how yoy handle videographers and photographers on scene. Do your jobs professionally and remember they legally have a right to be there too.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You smile and wave. Period. What ever you do, do not engage the photographer unless you're willing to do the same to everyone else. You can't simply tell a photographer to "leave."

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I don't do anything to them. If it is a question of scene safety then call in LEO.

But I've never actually had it be a problem, like Angel said, just get em in the bus and close the doors.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
We all know them- the annoying group of bystanders who shove their iphones and cameras in your pt's face and get in your way on scene. They seem to take so much pleasure in watching their fellow man suffer that they must record it and share it with their friends. How do you protect your patients privacy while remaining professional when faced with these exasperating individuals?
Why is this a problem? Are you making it a problem? You have no expectation of privacy while in public...even if you're a patient.

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Why is this a problem? Are you making it a problem? You have no expectation of privacy while in public...even if you're a patient.
I like put myself in my patient's shoes. If you have someone cutting your pants off while I am in you are in your most vulnerable state, would you want someone videotaping it and posting it on YouTube? My patient's condition is not a form of free entertainment for the general public. If there are bystanders, I will almost always have someone hold a blanket in front of my patient to respect their privacy.

Reactions: Rin

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I like put myself in my patient's shoes. If you have someone cutting your pants off while I am in you are in your most vulnerable state, would you want someone videotaping it and posting it on YouTube? My patient's condition is not a form of free entertainment for the general public. If there are bystanders, I will almost always have someone hold a blanket in front of my patient to respect their privacy.
That's a good strategy for the provider to take. Just remember there is absolutely no expectation of privacy in Public place... so the photographers can shoot at will

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
I know this is off-topic, but do many people have the same philosophy of "putting themselves in the patient's shoes"? I suppose we could spin this off into another thread if need be, but I've never found this to be a particularly helpful position to take when rendering patient care. The phrase I remember best from class is "it's their emergency, not yours". Do you do this just when maintaining your patients' privacy, or do you extend this philosophical position into other aspects of your work?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are in public, it is free entertainment. You don't have to like it for it to be true. Sure, you can hold a blanket up. Keep in mind, actively interfering with photographers/videographers may be illegal depending on how you go about it.

The trick to operating in public? Do you job and do it well. Your patients expect you to treat them effectively rather than be their publicist.

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I know this is off-topic, but do many people have the same philosophy of "putting themselves in the patient's shoes"? I suppose we could spin this off into another thread if need be, but I've never found this to be a particularly helpful position to take when rendering patient care. The phrase I remember best from class is "it's their emergency, not yours". Do you do this just when maintaining your patients' privacy, or do you extend this philosophical position into other aspects of your work?
I suppose you are correct in some ways. However, I strongly believe in compassion, and that is one of the main reasons I joined EMS. Small gestures such as shielding the patient from a rubberneck with a camera and other acts of compassion can have a great effect on the well being of the pt or the pt's family.

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
If you are in public, it is free entertainment. You don't have to like it for it to be true. Sure, you can hold a blanket up. Keep in mind, actively interfering with photographers/videographers may be illegal depending on how you go about it.

The trick to operating in public? Do you job and do it well. Your patients expect you to treat them effectively rather than be their publicist.
Thank you for your reply. It just really disgusts me when people will take advantage of their fellow man like that. I've had a call recently involving an older gentleman suffering from a cardiac arrest. There were 15-20 people on scene, several recording on their stupid phones. He was in asystole when we hooked him up to the monitor. No one even bothered to attempted cpr. They didn't care, it's just a free show to them.

JPINFV

Gadfly

It depends on what I'm doing.

Working a code? Nope

Discussing end of life/DNR options? Yes.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Rather than hold up a blanket while stripping and flipping, you can put that blanket right on the patient to keep them warm after you rapid scan.

If the situation is this life threatening, privacy is a secondary concern. My attention will be 100% on keeping this person alive, maybe the fire captain can help with scene control.

Angel

Paramedic
i think you guys are missing the point. sure its a free country and its great but IF theres something you can do, as a human being to protect your patient then why not? if its not hurting you (or them), or taking away from patient care or unsafe.... then??
The question wasn't if its right or wrong, but what would you do? Sounds like some don't care and would let them?
The whole putting yourself in your patients shoes...i guess it depends how deep you want to go with it. i don't get emotionally involved but i also like to be empathetic whenever appropriate. I think being completely blocked off and disassociated is an attribute those who are burned out have.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Pass gas.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
As mentioned before, it's not my problem. If crowds are an issue, then Fire needs to play crowd control, or we need to get the Pt in the truck. If crowds are a legitimate issue or Fire isn't around, then PD will be called on scene and it can be their problem.

Sure I can't tell a camera man to leave, but I can tell him to back the hell away from my crew and my gear.

Edit: I try to avoid being in my patient's shoes. If they are even wearing shoes, they are often quite smelly. Quite smelly indeed.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The question wasn't if its right or wrong, but what would you do? Sounds like some don't care and would let them?
No... it's a question of legality. Legally, I can mandate an exemption area for public safety (say, landing a helicopter) and an exemption area needed to be able to work. These zones can't be unreasonably large. These zones also can't discriminate. You can't say, "You can stand at the line and watch, but you can't film." Similarly, "Just go away" is too vague. When it comes to the police violating these principles, the running price tag in the subsequent civil rights lawsuit is about $200,000.