Hours

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you work a week? How many jobs do you hold?

imurphy

Forum Captain
Work (Regular Time) 40 Hours
Overtime Around 8-16 Hours
School: 24 hours.

Next day off: Wednesday, November 25th!

Epi-do

I see dead people
one job - 24/48 schedule, so two weeks of 48 hours then one week of 72 hours

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Work (Regular Time) 40 Hours
Overtime Around 8-16 Hours
School: 24 hours.

Next day off: Wednesday, November 25th!

That's why we haven't seen you!

I'm currently on a day off.. Next day off, tomorrow! Woohoo!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
24 hour shifts, WOWOWOOOO. 56 hour/wk schedule. OT/holdover cap at 36 consecutive hours. Occasional OT in between work days by choice.

Second job - PTS, the go-to IFT company in Fairfax. Shifts vary from 12's, 14's, and 24's. Also a 36 hour cap. When I clear ALS precepting I'd like to do 12-24 hours during each 4 day break.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1 job 24/7 for months at a time.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Minimum of 72 hour shift and then pickup extra 24 hour shifts as needed. Just sent an App off with 911 provider in San Francisco for a PT job in a system a little busier.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Right now, around 72 hours a week. Been picking up an extra shift for the past 8 weeks. A few EMTs quit, they got picked up by fire departments or are headed off to medic school. Usually, I work a 48 with 5 days off. I work at a garage for kicks, too. Rest of my free time is spent at the beach and tutoring foreign students

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends

Earlier this year I had a 7 days a week schedule between two jobs (2-4 10 hour days at one well paying job and 3-5 8 hour days at a lesser paying one = although some days I worked both for a total of 60-80 hours a week) in addition to my field/administrative/training resposibilities for SAR (5-10 hours of admin/training, plus calls). Then the economy blew up for me and my work hours dropped to 10-15 a week (at which point it made more financial sense to ask to be laid off from that last remaining paying job)... Now, waiting to get back on ambo, playing with SAR, training the puppy, have the chance to take a few more classes to keep myself educated, and get to annoy the EMTLIFE community...

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
96 or 120 hours per 2 week period at the FT job

84 to 96 hours per 2 week period at PT gig

Plus 2 IST's per month (PT service requires we attend IST, but it's paid, so WTH...)

That said, I'm not complaining; I have essentially 2 full time jobs and some folks can't find one. I count myself as blessed)

EMS49393

Forum Captain
60 - 72 hours a week, one job.

7-14 credit hours a semester when in school. It's summer break.

Piece of cake.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
right now 24on 48 off schedule, occasionally i try to pick up an extra 12 a week. one day off a week, i go volunteer for about 6 hrs at the fire dept.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
96 or 120 hours per 2 week period at the FT job

84 to 96 hours per 2 week period at PT gig

Plus 2 IST's per month (PT service requires we attend IST, but it's paid, so WTH...)

That said, I'm not complaining; I have essentially 2 full time jobs and some folks can't find one. I count myself as blessed)

Greedy...how bout giving one of those up for someone who does not have one?? :)

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Will be working 48/week while going to college full time, that doesn't take into account the extracurricular activities either...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
30-44 hours at "FT" job, 8-16 at Event standby gig, 12-24 at small private.

As I start school it will become more like 2-3 24 hour shifts/week (on-call, ~1 call/day), and I am planning on one 10-13 hr shift every week.

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
I have two jobs. Work 24/48 at my full time job. Not sure about the part time job yet as I start next Monday. I'm guessing that I will probably work 1-2 days a week, 12 hour shifts at the part time job. Commute time is also an issue - 10-15 minutes to my full time job, 1.5+ hours to my part time job. Plus full time online school and labs that I will have to attend every third Saturday (school is 100 miles away, opposite direction as my part time job).

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
At work we do mostly 12 hr shifts in a 2 day 2 night 4 days off rotation. This works out to an avg of 42 hrs/week over 8 weeks. We get paid every two weeks and this gives us an inconsistent pay.Our pays vary 72, 84 and 96 hrs per pay period. One can work OT on your days off or do doubles. We are capped at 24 hrs consecutive.

However for most of this year I've been doing my hosp. and ambulance clinical time as well as working. Since the last week of May I took all my night shifts off and would work my two days, then do 4 or 5 shifts as a student for my ACP. I have one more scheduled shift. With a bit of luck I'm finished this week. Then an oral board and I'm really finished. I've seen enough of the inside of an amb for now.

reaper

Working Bum
Seems like 500 hours a week!

"Day Off" what's that?

Difference is I choose to do this, it is not "needed"

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I work 36-48 hours a week on the hospital floor as a tech. I'm also takin 14 credits this semester, so 36 works great for me.
3 night shifts a week guaranteed, with possibility of picking up a day or night shift whenever I can. The differential pay makes me very happy with nights and my one weekend night

JustMarti

Forum Probie
I work my normal job at 80 hours every two weeks, rotating shifts. Volunteer as EMT on average another 24-30 hours each week.