Hot Days Are Coming

dcribb3207

Forum Ride Along
I love it cold and wearing shorts but on an ambulance I don't get to have those and that caused me to be miserable last year during the summer. I tried under armor shirts last month but still started melting as soon as I stepped outside. can anybody give any tips to help survive the south Georgia summers?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Under armour undershirts, 5.11 taclite pants, and A/C blasting. Other than that, get used to it.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Lots of water and don't forget about balancing out electrolytes too. We get a lot of heat casualties out here from strenuous exercise and typically it's either not enough water or not enough sodium to absorb the water that takes them down. I'm from CA but moved to South Georgia, the best I can suggest it drink fluids, a good A/C, and just time. After a while it won't be as bad, but I've not found much in the way of clothing that will help keep you cool.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Suck factor of HEMS in flight suit with summer temps > Ground EMS..... I would wear a suit made outta Polyester in a ground unit to have tangible air conditioning.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We can wear shorts for the summers around here. Its actually kinda nice. Better than black nomex in 110* heat

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Same. But have to wear the boots as well. Doesn't look so good haha.
We arent allowed to wear shorts with boots lol. We can wear ankle boots or sneakers with them

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'll just sit in the 120 degree heat wearing my class B uniform with pants and boots.

Maybe because we usually have a dry heat but it's not terrible. Drink a lot of water. Park in shade with a high idle, pop the hood, put sun shades in all the windows, or just go inside somewhere. Usually in the summer time I will switch my base layers from the company cotton shirt to the UA Heat Gear.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I just don't live where it gets that hot. When it does, it doesn't stick around that long.

The chief is pretty good about letting us wear what's appropriate. If it's 90 we're not going to wear badge shirts.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Looking forward to it!

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Ugh I hate the heat. I still remember thinking back in the day "at least flight suits will be cool in the summer". Nope. I guess I thought so because they seem relatively light. Just nope

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I hate EMS shorts. They should really be illegal.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ugh I hate the heat. I still remember thinking back in the day "at least flight suits will be cool in the summer". Nope. I guess I thought so because they seem relatively light. Just nope
I thought the same thing last summer when I was flying. For as light as they are, they make you roast.