Holy Mother of god... found the perfect jump kit for the whackers

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
...The ZS Forums could certainly benefit from a larger population of EMS professionals and I encourage those of you with even a remote interest in preparedness to visit our forums. Also, I encourage you to treat us with the same respect we'd treat you... to read before posting so as to get a sense of what we're all about.

I'm sure we can learn from each other.

-Jeff

I did join up...Yesterday or the day before. Same user name. I'm still trying to soak in the vibes and get a sense of what's what. I'm glad you explained that most people there don't seriously believe in zombies, that it's used as a metaphor.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I did join up...Yesterday or the day before. Same user name. I'm still trying to soak in the vibes and get a sense of what's what. I'm glad you explained that most people there don't seriously believe in zombies, that it's used as a metaphor.

I also have the same user name.

they have brought in the Good Sam Act. They are saying that he is allowed to do advanced procedures under this act.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief

they have brought in the Good Sam Act. They are saying that he is allowed to do advanced procedures under this act.

i think they are trying to say that if one has a cert and they practice advance skills, they can get in trouble, but if one doesnt have any certs, they wont be tried with gross endangerment or w/e...wrong either way

JPINFV

Gadfly

What? Zombies aren't real? I thought AMC's Walking Dead was a documentary and Zombieland was a How To guide (must remember the rules)!;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
i think they are trying to say that if one has a cert and they practice advance skills, they can get in trouble, but if one doesnt have any certs, they wont be tried with gross endangerment or w/e...wrong either way

Of course the other question is in an environment where these will be handy, what government is going to prosecute, if there's even one still functioning.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Of course the other question is in an environment where these will be handy, what government is going to prosecute, if there's even one still functioning.

From what I can gather, thats really the premise of everything they do there. Not a bad idea really. Of course we could get into the debate of how long would it take the government, or social order to reconstitute after an apocolypse type event. I think that might be a better discussion for there rather than here.

Personally, I think hes got the wrong idea for the kit. In that type of situation there will be no "life saving". Whats the point of the intubation supplies with out a vent for long term care? If someone has a cardiac arrest in that "world" its still either going to be medical or traumatic. We all know how the trauma flow chart ends. Where would the supportive continuing care for the medical patient be?

I see no problem in a well stocked personal/family clinic in a bag... but you have to be realistic in your capabilities and get the most out of your budget.

In a world with no functional hospitials, if you stop breathing, sorry. Would I try basic care? Yes. But what if say - your wife has a medical cardiac arrest, you do a full code workup on her including an advanced airway... You get her back but she doesnt wake up.. all thats keeping her alive is your squeeze on the BVM every few seconds. Now what?

That equipment could be replaced and more useful items put in its place. Off the top of my head... antibiotics, fluids, bandaging, splinting. Things you are more likely to run into in that enviroment.

jnathan

Forum Ride Along
From what I can gather, thats really the premise of everything they do there. Not a bad idea really. Of course we could get into the debate of how long would it take the government, or social order to reconstitute after an apocolypse type event. I think that might be a better discussion for there rather than here.

Some people are living out their survivalist fantasies on the Zombie Squad forums, undoubtedly. There are plenty of other users who aren't. Keep in mind that, as an organization, Zombie Squad is heavily invested in volunteering. Of our twenty-some-odd chapters, each one independently runs charitable events (e.g. food drives, blood drives).

For the ZS population that isn't preparing for the end of the world, we're preparing for the sorts of things we may face in our city/town/village - usually something weather related. If you live somewhere with particularly inclement weather, you may be preparing for a localized regional disaster or something even larger in scope.

Regardless, preparedness is a mindset. It leads to you making sure you have adequate smoke detectors for your home, working reliable (commercial) fire extinguishers, some stored food and water, well stocked first aid kits, illumination, the ability to communicate, etc and the skills to use your equipment.

Personally, I think hes got the wrong idea for the kit. In that type of situation there will be no "life saving". Whats the point of the intubation supplies with out a vent for long term care? If someone has a cardiac arrest in that "world" its still either going to be medical or traumatic. We all know how the trauma flow chart ends. Where would the supportive continuing care for the medical patient be?

I see no problem in a well stocked personal/family clinic in a bag... but you have to be realistic in your capabilities and get the most out of your budget.

In a world with no functional hospitials, if you stop breathing, sorry. Would I try basic care? Yes. But what if say - your wife has a medical cardiac arrest, you do a full code workup on her including an advanced airway... You get her back but she doesnt wake up.. all thats keeping her alive is your squeeze on the BVM every few seconds. Now what?

That equipment could be replaced and more useful items put in its place. Off the top of my head... antibiotics, fluids, bandaging, splinting. Things you are more likely to run into in that enviroment.

What you wrote above is excellent. It's the type of contribution that would be valued on the ZS forums. You might say that I'm hoping for a dose of reality to be delivered to the subset of members who are living out their post apocalyptic fantasies.

-Jeff

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
For the ZS population that isn't preparing for the end of the world, we're preparing for the sorts of things we may face in our city/town/village - usually something weather related. If you live somewhere with particularly inclement weather, you may be preparing for a localized regional disaster or something even larger in scope.

Heck yes. There is no worse feeling than being unprepared for a disaster. I lived that out a few years back during a major ice storm. Paralized the town for a few days. No electricity, no travel, you get the point. I had just happened to stay over winter break to help work at the campus radio station. Had absolutely no where to go, eat, sleep. It sucked.

Am I still unprepared? Probably. But preparedness takes time and money. I lurk on your ZS forums with out an account, I've got some good information there. Just like any forum you have to do your own research and not take what people say for the gospel.

waltcallie

Forum Ride Along
yea, and just like blackwater he can go around indiscriminantly killing people with it.

speaking as a ZS blogger (and fan), and ex blackwater employee, and a working EMT i feel i know a little more about this gentleman's kit than you do. if you would read about his intended use maybe you would understand to. but then again you are probably just feeling what i felt when i first saw it...jealously. as far as blackwater goes maybe you should once again know your subject matter before you go blathering on about whatever you heard on MSNBC. better yet, just keep your mouth shut if you are going to talk trash about anyone.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
speaking as a ZS blogger (and fan), and ex blackwater employee, and a working EMT i feel i know a little more about this gentleman's kit than you do. if you would read about his intended use maybe you would understand to. but then again you are probably just feeling what i felt when i first saw it...jealously. as far as blackwater goes maybe you should once again know your subject matter before you go blathering on about whatever you heard on MSNBC. better yet, just keep your mouth shut if you are going to talk trash about anyone.

I ask again, as I did in the last thread,where exactly do you plan on delivering the patient you've cric'd and is now on multiple medications in a post-apocolyptic world/asture environment? Somehow I think the local ICU will probably be closed for business or non-existent...

brentoli has a much better idea of what needs to be in that kind of kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I ask again, as I did in the last thread,where exactly do you plan on delivering the patient you've cric'd and is now on multiple medications in a post-apocolyptic world/asture environment? Somehow I think the local ICU will probably be closed for business.

What makes you think that!

In a post apocalyptic world, there would be little use for many als skills past simple narcotic administration and iv access. We are talking bls splinting and bandage application, maybe some pain management and fluid replacement, D50...what other drugs would you need?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
What makes you think that!

In a post apocalyptic world, there would be little use for many als skills past simple narcotic administration and iv access. We are talking bls splinting and bandage application, maybe some pain management and fluid replacement, D50...what other drugs would you need?

The only thing I would include here is the narcs should probably be PO, suturing capability would be useful and plaster splinting for a little more permanent splint would probably be good.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The only thing I would include here is the narcs should probably be PO, suturing capability would be useful and plaster splinting for a little more permanent splint would probably be good.

Orthoglass would be tailor made to that kind of a situation since all you need is it and water... and it packs down relatively small if you take it out of the big *** box.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

Depends on your definition of "allowed". In many states, the GS laws explicitly prevent liability if a person is acting within his training. So, if our zombie hating friend here decided to intubate a patient on the side of the road, he would be clear of liability so long as he did it correctly, it was indicated, and he had been trained to do so. What is important to note is that this does not prevent him from facing a legal charge of practicing medicine without a license.

On another note, I enjoyed looking over his kit, but wonder about the necessity of Fluorescein. Most of his kit is treatment oriented, but Fluorescein is a diagnostic tool of very limited use, and is probably not a good fit for a survival kit, but what do I know. I actually made a wilderness first aid kit when I knew I was going to be acting as a medic (solely for emergencies) on a mission trip in the mountains of Guatemala. I thought I was cool with my clove oil and sam splint.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
Depends on your definition of "allowed". In many states, the GS laws explicitly prevent liability if a person is acting within his training. So, if our zombie hating friend here decided to intubate a patient on the side of the road, he would be clear of liability so long as he did it correctly, it was indicated, and he had been trained to do so. What is important to note is that this does not prevent him from facing a legal charge of practicing medicine without a license.

I don't remember if this was posted here or there, and frankly I am a little bit lazy to look. But here is a breakdown of laws by state:

http://www.cprinstructor.com/legal.htm

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Reading through that whole thread, I have big problems...

I understand reasoning behind developing a kit like this for worst-case scenarios, but:

1. The OP states he takes it out with him to the range and on hikes.
2. The OP purchased much of it (particularly the RXs) under the guise of treating himself out on the hike after suffering injuries that would prevent him from likely being able to.
3. I find some of the statements about what constitutes training for the equipment to be beyond disturbing.
4. Finally, despite the scenarios proposed for creating the kit, everyone still talks about stabilizing the person till help arrives.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Reading through that whole thread, I have big problems...

I understand reasoning behind developing a kit like this for worst-case scenarios, but:

1. The OP states he takes it out with him to the range and on hikes.
2. The OP purchased much of it (particularly the RXs) under the guise of treating himself out on the hike after suffering injuries that would prevent him from likely being able to.
3. I find some of the statements about what constitutes training for the equipment to be beyond disturbing.
4. Finally, despite the scenarios proposed for creating the kit, everyone still talks about stabilizing the person till help arrives.

I've had Cipro and Phenergan prescribed to me for use in my "middle of nowhere Guatemala" aid kit. No doc is going to prescribe MS for someone to give themselves after a hiking injury. The poster claims that he has many Dr. friends that understand exactly what he is trying to do (just have an apocalypse ready kit) with the kit and gave him the scripts.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

On another note, I enjoyed looking over his kit, but wonder about the necessity of Fluorescein. Most of his kit is treatment oriented, but Fluorescein is a diagnostic tool of very limited use, and is probably not a good fit for a survival kit, but what do I know. I actually made a wilderness first aid kit when I knew I was going to be acting as a medic (solely for emergencies) on a mission trip in the mountains of Guatemala. I thought I was cool with my clove oil and sam splint.

allowed in the term of being able to preform with out consequence

mikie

Forum Lurker
How the H E L L did he manage to get a 15mL vial of Morphine W/O any training, medical direction, etc?!?!

I mean the epi-pens are one thing (yes, they're an Rx and all) but we're talking about opioids!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
That bag has stuff my service cannot have in our rig because we are BLS only as is the rest of ground ambulance in the Northwest Territories. The stuff in that kit rivals what's found in some ER's in small community hospitals.