High School Diploma Requirement?

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
I just applied for an EMT job that had a high school diploma listed as a requirement for the position. I am wondering why that would even be needed if I have my state EMT license. I know it must vary, but are services usually pretty strict with that? Also, any interview tips?

Thanks

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I just applied for an EMT job that had a high school diploma listed as a requirement for the position. I am wondering why that would even be needed if I have my state EMT license. I know it must vary, but are services usually pretty strict with that? Also, any interview tips?

Thanks
Seriously? Isn't that a requirement for pretty much any job requirement, or am "I" that outdated in regards to job applications?

Summit

Critical Crazy
OP is either still in highschool, or dropped out.

If the former, most services don't hire those under 21 due to vehicle insurance issues.

If the latter, they probably have a giant pile of applicants who have their diploma or GED. Strongly advise you get one.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If the latter, they probably have a giant pile of applicants who have their diploma or GED. Strongly advise you get one.
Op, if that is the case then this^^^, good luck.

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
If out of school and no HS diploma, then one of the things to keep in mind is the competition for the job. Most likely you will not be the only applicant available for the position. If all the other applicants have a HS diploma and you don't, then most likely you go to the bottom of the pile and the more 'qualified' applicants will always be on top. Keep in mind that when an employer has a choice, they will generally prioritize based on things such as completed education and past employment history.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not finishing high school or going and getting your GED says a lot about a person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My question is HOW did you event get an into an EMT course and complete the EMT without a HS Diploma/GED???

That is one of the requirements at all the schools I am personally familiar with (both private and public).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I was in my first EMT class at 16, got my first certification at 17, was got my HS diploma at 18.

True, this was a couple of years ago, but it's not unreasonable to get in prior to ingratiating HS

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeh, as I posted I considered that. I taught a group of 12 seniors when I was in AK. But that situation is more the exception than the rule.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Any place that I know of in C.S requires a high school diploma. Or at least a GED. Interview tips: Practice a ton, practice some more, and be confident going in, as well as be HONEST.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My question is HOW did you event get an into an EMT course and complete the EMT without a HS Diploma/GED???

That is one of the requirements at all the schools I am personally familiar with (both private and public).

I was wondering the same exact thing.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I was wondering the same exact thing.

Issue on my end too, and one I ran into. I couldn't do the local community college program right out of high school because classes technically started a day or two before I physically received my diploma. They wouldn't budge on the requirement. A nearby private program would, however.

Had a student in my class who took the course on sort of a "delayed testing" agreement, where they wouldn't sign her off for the NREMT until she graduated high school.

Good luck! :p

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I tried to sign up at 17, I would've turned 18 during my second or third week. No go for me, oh well. Had to wait a couple months.