High School 911

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
18 and driving an ambulance is still not ideal...heck, neither is 21...but that's how our systems work.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
This whole idea is terrible.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Have any problems actually been reported? I mean, I understand the concern, but at the same time I have to think about what all I grew up driving. I have been driving since I was 16 (7 years) and have never been pulled over and only been in one accident which I wasn't even at fault for. Not only that, I was driving a tractor before I was driving a vehicle.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
18 and driving an ambulance is still not ideal...heck, neither is 21...but that's how our systems work.

No, 18 and driving an ambulance with minimal training and minimal supervision is not ideal. (See: most IFT services)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's fraught with disaster. This group has been around for years, is very well trained and very well respected.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
No, 18 and driving an ambulance with minimal training and minimal supervision is not ideal. (See: most IFT services)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's fraught with disaster. This group has been around for years, is very well trained and very well respected.

They certainly are a good group, it's just a gut (over)reaction on my part to the driving issue.

chitownmedic11

Forum Ride Along
There is not to much of a difference between 16 and 19 if you ask me and I was in the privates at 19 for my first gig. I don't think I really matured within those three years I was still a knuckle head but more then capable of handling everything on the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Must be scary in a town of 20,000 people, having a bunch of 17 year olds driving code 3 through town.

I still say driving is an issue. So do actuaries.
My town has a fire house full of 40 year olds who scare me behind the wheel

Ever see a class a engine go airborne?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain

No, but I'd like to.

High School 911 sounds like what I'd call my company when the crews start hooking up and starting weird beefs between shifts. In all seriousness, I think if you really seek out and then vett the people you're hiring, along with an adequate training program, their age shouldn't be that much of an issue.

And since this hasn't been posted in awhile.

cprted

Forum Captain
This group was actually the inspiration for a Family Channel after school type series in Canada in the late 90s called "In A Heartbeat." Yes, it was just as cheesy as you'd expect it to be.

OP
OP
LanceCorpsman

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
My town has a fire house full of 40 year olds who scare me behind the wheel

No but ive seen a class A on two wheels...actually been in one

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had the exact same response to Bullet's questions
It would have been cool if it wasnt headed towards my ambulance and two occupied police cars
(it was cool though)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
It would have been cool if it wasnt headed towards my ambulance and two occupied police cars
(it was cool though)
My pants would've gained 10 pounds >.< lol. that would absolutely terrify me

RocketMedic

I just view it as a professional insult. kind of like a child soldier

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2224.JPG

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do you view it that way? Given that the standards for EMT are such as they are, it's not beyond the competency of a smart, motivated 16 year old, no?

RocketMedic

EpiEMS, it isn't that the standards are extraordinary- it's that the standards are extraordinarily low, to the point that high schoolers can do them en masse. Given that I would like to see EMS progress to a true clinical role, Glee Club EMS doesn't really do it for me.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
EpiEMS, it isn't that the standards are extraordinary- it's that the standards are extraordinarily low, to the point that high schoolers can do them en masse. Given that I would like to see EMS progress to a true clinical role, Glee Club EMS doesn't really do it for me.

So are these guys really the problem?

OP
OP
LanceCorpsman

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant

I couldn't agree with you more.