High School 911

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
http://highschool911.com/trailer

Anybody know exactly how this 911 system works? I am interested in the opinions of the rest of the EMS community.

In my opinion, I would have never trusted my 16 year old self in the back of the ambulance treating a patient. But I wasn't exactly most responsible teenager either.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ill just say that I'm glad i dont come from areas that lets children become emts

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: NPO

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The Posties? Yeah, I grew up near there. I've seen them at one of the hospitals they transport to. They are surprisingly professional. My concern isn't with the patient care - a 16-year old can provide EMT-level care with a high level of competency - but with driving. Yes, they do drive the ambulance.

As far as ALS backup, they have medics from Stamford Hospital (or, sometimes Norwalk Hospital), and their own AEMTs (of course, because CT is incredibly backwards and hasn't started real AEMT 2007 national standard courses, the CT AEMT is really just an EMT who can perform IVs and hang NS and/or LR).

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
For your reference, here is their website: Post 53 (Darien EMS).
Interestingly (for Southwestern CT, anyway), medics were only on about 40% of their calls. I'm a little surprised by that, since there is a profusion of medics (in SW CT).

Summit

Critical Crazy
My concern isn't with the patient care - a 16-year old can provide EMT-level care with a high level of competency - but with driving.
That was my precise thought.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2218.JPG

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think that department is such a big deal and is so scrutinized, there's probably very little in the way of shenanigans.

OP
OP
LanceCorpsman

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Must be scary in a town of 20,000 people, having a bunch of 17 year olds driving code 3 through town.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think that department is such a big deal and is so scrutinized, there's probably very little in the way of shenanigans.
Ironically enough, it's probably better ran than most paid agencies. I say good for these kids.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Must be scary in a town of 20,000 people, having a bunch of 17 year olds driving code 3 through town.

It's a very well vetted program, as [user]DEMedic[/user] suggests.

They had an independent consultancy come in to evaluate them recently (terming them a "an excellent Basic Life Support organization") - a couple of good recommendations (and some arguably bad) were made. I can't find the full report, unfortunately, seems like the town has taken it off their website.

One very interesting point - their medical director opposed the consultant's recommendation to have in-town medics, rather than intercepts. (I tend to agree, in this case.)

Ironically enough, it's probably better ran than most paid agencies. I say good for these kids.

Also better capitalized, I'd wager ;)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a very well vetted program, as [user]DEMedic[/user] suggests.

They had an independent consultancy come in to evaluate them recently (terming them a "an excellent Basic Life Support organization") - a couple of good recommendations (and some arguably bad) were made. I can't find the full report, unfortunately, seems like the town has taken it off their website.

One very interesting point - their medical director opposed the consultant's recommendation to have in-town medics, rather than intercepts. (I tend to agree, in this case.)

Also better capitalized, I'd wager ;)

Did I read that right? They are 625,000 in the green for the year?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Did I read that right? They are 625,000 in the green for the year?
I think that was 2013? Lost ~$400k in 2014, though. The IRS Form 990s are usually lagged by a year or more.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I remember reading about it when it hit the ems forums several years ago.... lots of skeptics, myself included.....

Then again, after seeing many so called professional EMS agencies grossly mismanaged (and one managed surprisingly well by a relatively young senior staff), I say if they are doing a good job, and have oversight to make sure they doing everything as the adults would, what is the issue?

Summit

Critical Crazy
I still say driving is an issue. So do actuaries.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I still say driving is an issue. So do actuaries.
Except actuaries deal with population based risk, and there are lots of individual exceptions.

I'd bet that the type of kids who are ok with the structure and rigor of this program are probably not the type to drive recklessly. I'd also bet their driving is closely monitored and there is little tolerance for shenanigans behind the wheel.

NomadicMedic

I'd also wager they have invested in and aggressively use Road Safety and Drive Cam.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Except actuaries deal with population based risk, and there are lots of individual exceptions.

I'd bet that the type of kids who are ok with the structure and rigor of this program are probably not the type to drive recklessly. I'd also bet their driving is closely monitored and there is little tolerance for shenanigans behind the wheel.
I am not concerned about recklessness or shenanigans. I am concerned about experience. People who have been driving for one whole entire year getting inside a 7 ton ungainly truck and driving emergent... or even nonemergent... that should make people nervous.

NomadicMedic

I am not concerned about recklessness or shenanigans. I am concerned about experience. People who have been driving for one whole entire year getting inside a 7 ton ungainly truck and driving emergent... or even nonemergent... that should make people nervous.

Plenty of new EMTs have little to no driving experience. I believe a young driver can learn to safely drive an ambulance. I'd also bet they receive more driver training than most new hire EMTs.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My concern isn't with the patient care - a 16-year old can provide EMT-level care with a high level of competency - but with driving. Yes, they do drive the ambulance.
Well, according to their website, that's not entirely accurate....
from their website: "Over the course of their four-year career at Post 53, members progress through five roles: Candidate, Radio Roomie, Rider, State-Certified EMT, and then Driver, usually by their senior year." So it's the 17 and 18 year olds who are driving, after they have earned their EMT certifications and have been in the back of the ambulance for several years. Not as simple as getting on at 14, and they start you behind the wheel of the ambulance.

The adult advisers are the ones who staff the ambulance during daytime hours while school was in sessions.

My question is, if you have a student who turns 18, and either goes to college locally while living at home, or doesn't leave the area, do they stay on as active members, do they get "promoted" to advisors, or are they no longer able to act as a regular ambulance rider?