High BP

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had high BP for a while now, that seems to EMS study related. As alot of people have said, it's normal for the field, but that doesn't make it anymore healthy. My doctor is quite unhappy with my consistent BP of 140/95, for me who used to have very low BP, it was enough to cause spontaneous nose bleeds and splitting headaches by the end of the day (my BP rises as the day goes on). Diet and excessive changes seem to be helping a little. Deep breathing/quasi-meditation at the start and the end of the day seem to help a bit too.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
Mate, thats not high, i was admited after having constant readings around 180/120.

I was waiting for the CVA......

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Well lets not get into a pissing contest about who's BP was higher.

My point was that it doesn't have to be emergency high, for it to be a problem. You don't have to have been admitted for it to be problem worth doing something about in the short term.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT Elite,
Nervous much?? Since the diastolic is normal I'd guess nerves have a role in the 150. Wait 15 minutes and recheck it...bet it drops to normal.

piranah

Forum Captain
your a paramedic student....welcome to the world of stress effecting your overall health...happened to me too man don't worry...just take time to relax and unwind...

Kage

Forum Ride Along
It's important to remember that BP is an EXTREMELY variable vital sign and by design is very responsive to outside influences (mood, activity, diet, anxiety level...). What floors me sometimes is how clinicians sometimes forget that and treat it as something static like weight for instance.

Getting one BP in the office is just a snapshot at one instant of what your BP is at that particular moment. If you are nervous (see white coat hypertension), were late for your appt and ran up the stairs or just finished some KFC, your BP is going to be artificially high and no clinician should make treatment decisions from that.

You should ask your physician about an ambulatory blood pressure test. It's a wearable device you take home that tracks your BP for 24 hours. It's important to see what your BP does while you sleep before anyone makes treatment decisions.

You'll probably find that you are part of the 30% of us who are white coat hypertensive and you don't need any treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well before I was on treatment for anxiety. During an attack my blood pressure would go up to 170/120. I hope I didn't weaken any blood vessels, or maybe I tested them really good :rolleyes:.

The doctor explained to me than high blood pressure in incidents of stress is normal, this was way before I knew any EMS stuff. Otherwise we would have all died running away from sabretooth tigers and mammoths.

surub

Forum Crew Member
Well dude BP really depends on the type of person you're taking it from. I mean the person can have a history of high BP which would be normal for him, but not normal for others.

BP is unique to every person.