Hey guys i need some advice

Ellington

Forum Ride Along
Alright, the problem is i'm having trouble choosing whether if i should i take an emt-b class in the fall semester or just take some general college courses to have some credits.
I'm a navy HM (medic) and currently waiting to be shipped to boot camp in December so i only have time to take one semester of schooling.
My plans after the military is to become a paramedic so the answer i'm actually looking for is whether or not i should use my 5 or 4 months of free time to get my emt-b certification or take some general college class courses so i have some credits under my belt.
If you believe there are better ways to use my time, i would love to hear your opinions, thank you.

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
I believe generally speaking basic courses are 6 months. you can take "accelerated" classes and get it in less time, but then you still have the testing to go through. I got all my testing done and car in hand in a months time from the time my class ended, but ive had others tell me it s months before they got the practical, and months after that for their written. Do your college courses, or save your money.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I believe generally speaking basic courses are 6 months. you can take "accelerated" classes and get it in less time, but then you still have the testing to go through. I got all my testing done and car in hand in a months time from the time my class ended, but ive had others tell me it s months before they got the practical, and months after that for their written. Do your college courses, or save your money.
Mine was 9.

150 hour of class time lecture and demonstration . Plus 3 hours per week of skills. Plus testing. My college made it a full college credit course and ended up close to 220 hours

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Mine was 9.

150 hour of class time lecture and demonstration . Plus 3 hours per week of skills. Plus testing. My college made it a full college credit course and ended up close to 220 hours

It took you 9 months to get 220 hours? The equivalent amount of time as two college semesters? For EMT-Basic?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Mine was 9.

80 hours of skills and testing?

...also taking 9 months to complete that isn't really anything to be proud of.

Cleric

Forum Probie
80 hours of skills and testing?

...also taking 9 months to complete that isn't really anything to be proud of.

I just finished around 180 hours in three months for EMT-B. It all just depends how much free time you have for outside study and scenario groups. I ended up with maybe 50 hours of independent group time--granted a large part of that time was spent less-than-optimally, being with friends.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Wouldn't the EMS course be a little redundant? They'll provide you all the training you need, and I believe you'll even be the equivalent of a civilian EMT-Basic.

Some of the most fun classes I took in college were the 100 level courses I took at a community college. Psychology and sociology were easy and actually were helpful in EMS. I met some cool people in those classes, along with a few language classes I took.

I'd opt to get some general college credits under your belt.

Good luck!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you are going to be in HM in the Navy, they are going to train you to at least the EMT-basic standard. You are actually going to go farther than that. By the time you are done, you will be closer to LVN/LPN in terms of knowledge, skills, and ability. Since you have a few months to go before you go to boot camp, I would suggest that you take sociology or cultural anthropology or general psychology. Those would probably help you the most. Why? You may be dealing with people from other cultures or people that have psychological issues and while you may not be able to pin down what the problem is, at least you will have some better idea of what you may be dealing with.

With more lead time, I would've suggested anatomy and physiology, the full one-year program, but you do not have to be time to get through those classes.

Once you have gotten far enough in your HM training, and you are able to get certified as an EMT basic, you should take advantage of that and be able to get the certificate.

The other advice that I could give you, is that you are about to embark on a rather fascinating portion of your life. You should seize every day and try to learn as much as you can and live it to the fullest. You're going to have experiences that other people can only dream of. With that, enjoy every minute of it, even though some of it will be physically demanding, mentally demanding, or even challenge your sanity. I was a Navy kid and I darn well know that you will learn very quickly that there is the right way, the wrong way, and the Navy way and a whole bunch of forms to go with it.

If things had been different, I would have gone into the Navy many years ago.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Don't waste your time taking basic twice. Either take anatomy, medical terminology, psychology, etc...things that will help you in your new career, or seriously, take the time to enjoy life before hand. Work out every day. If you're old enough, take some carbine courses from a reputable trainer like Kyle Defoor, Larry Vickers, Chris Costa or Travis Haley.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
If you are going on active duty, much of what you learn is going to be forgotten by the time you get out of the navy, so if you are going to take college classes I would knock out boring pre reqs like English comp or Pyschology. I wouldn't bother with an EMT class. I would take the time on getting physically fit, especially if you plan on serving with the Marines at some point, because God knows the Navy isn't going to make you fit.

Also, if you do go to the green side, don't be one of these Corpsman that tries to get out of everything because you aren't a Marine and shouldn't have to put up with "jarhead BS".

One more thing, you aren't an HM or Corpsman. You are someone who wants to be a Corpsman one day. Its a bit like an EMT calling himself a Paramedic because he signed up for Paramedic school. Not to be nitpicky but you'll find out things like that matter once you join the military.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you are going on active duty, much of what you learn is going to be forgotten by the time you get out of the navy, so if you are going to take college classes I would knock out boring pre reqs like English comp or Pyschology. I wouldn't bother with an EMT class. I would take the time on getting physically fit, especially if you plan on serving with the Marines at some point, because God knows the Navy isn't going to make you fit.

Also, if you do go to the green side, don't be one of these Corpsman that tries to get out of everything because you aren't a Marine and shouldn't have to put up with "jarhead BS".

One more thing, you aren't an HM or Corpsman. You are someone who wants to be a Corpsman one day. Its a bit like an EMT calling himself a Paramedic because he signed up for Paramedic school. Not to be nitpicky but you'll find out things like that matter once you join the military.
One very good friend of mine who did go to the green side, who is a USN Corpsman, agrees with the statement that he's about 90% Gator, 10% Squid... He very much embraced the Marine LAR he's with, to the point that he's a small arms instructor for them, among other things. So, wherever you end up, embrace the "local" unit culture and enjoy every minute of it.

One other thing, if you wash out of the HM program, you'll be placed wherever the USN needs you. That won't be a happy thing for you. That might be something that your recruiter may not have told you... As long as you don't fail out somewhere, you're good to go...

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN

I was looking over old threads and noticed your gentle correction. Yeah, he isn't an HM before going to boot camp and obviously completing HM "A" school.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Call it over eager, wishful thinking.